What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta SaloonMk6 - Alloy Wheels - terrierman

My daughter has a Fiesta Zetec Climate reg 06 with 5 spoke alloys. The usually reliable tyre fitter says all 4 wheels are buckled!

What do I do? I am very reluctant to replace as I am told these wheels are weak. Has anyone experience of this problem or suggestions for replacement?

Ford Fiesta SaloonMk6 - Alloy Wheels - 547HEW

Terrierman,

Did you manage to resolve your issue with these alloys?

On a similar vehicle just bought for the wife she has hit a pot hole and dented the inner rim only. I have had to replace with new (ouch!), rather than seek repair, as no downtime of the vehicle is tolerated.

These alloy wheels are indeed incredibly weak on the inner rim, as the spokes only support the outer rim.

I your position I would try to replace with the later (hopefully cheaper) steel wheels and covers, as they look much stronger.

Just wondering if anyone has had an MoT refused due to light buckling of the inner rim of these wheels?

i say light buckling as I checked our other Zetec Fiesta fitted with these wheels, and sure enough, the nearside front and rear are lightly buckled. A road test does not give an sterring wheel or other vibration.

Comments welcomed

Ford Fiesta SaloonMk6 - Alloy Wheels - terrierman

The Fiesta did not fail MOT due to buckled rims, they were reported as precautionaries.

I decided to give up altogether with the alloys and replaced with steels. I have had more than a dozen cars with alloys without any problem, but these Ford rims do seem very vulnerable - an opinion shared by the Parts Department at my local dealers. In the case of my daughters car there was definite steering vibration

Ford Fiesta SaloonMk6 - Alloy Wheels - garage-express

Minor buckles are allowed on the MOT as long as they dont show ant crackes or show the bead of the tyre seat then they are fine but it is down the the testers discrestion

Thanks Garage-Express

Car passed MoT first go.

I suspect (having now driven vehicle up to 70 mph) that there is a little steering wheel vibration at 70 mph, probably due to the light buckling previously mentioned.

What I am now looking for is a service that can remove light buckling from the inner rim of these (flimsy) wheels. Any ideas if this is commercially available? ( I envisage some sort of rolling process would do it.)