What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car technical advice - Tech Section V Magazines - oilrag

You wonder how some of the `mechanics` mags hang on really, don`t you? Considering the depth of information - the sheer through-put of interesting topics and quality of advice - much from working techs - in this forums Tech section.

It`s the first time this month that i`ve not handed over the money in Smiths for the `car mag`. Sick of product placements in them and lightweight reviews in some of them, that tell you nothing.

Remember when gear ratios and clutch plate diameters wer included in reviews?

Then you find yourself reading questions and answers and thinking I`ve paid for this... And of course here it`s free on seemingly the internets leading website on tech and car related issues.

What might still draw you to a Mag then? With it`s often wrong tech advice?

Pictures perhaps.. Something for forums in the future perhaps - for example who saw those pics of sludgeon the US BMW forum?

Lack of peer review would seem to be the death knell of tech mags though, surely?

Don`t you just really appreciate it when a couple of techs have different views over in Tech?

I tend to read most of the threads there out of sheer interest in the discussion itself - the points coming out of differing opinions being as interesting as the actual issue being discussed.

How do you see it?

regards

Car technical advice - Tech Section V Magazines - veryoldbear

The modern car is becoming more and more a "black box" with "no user serviceable parts". You look under the bonnet and wonder what the hell everything is.

Bless my old Triumph Herald and later GT6 with their walk-in engine rooms, and a Saab 96 you could fix with a small hammer, a mole wrench and a bed spanner.

But "Practical Classics" still seems to sell well .....