What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - starfield

I have a ford focus 1.8 petrol, 56 reg. There is nothing wrong with the car but i would like to put some some redex in the tank with the hope of making it better. May be more response and better mpg.

Does HJ really recommends this product?

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - graham3232

Not sure on HJs recommendations, but the 'premium' petrols contain similar additives and can work out cheaper for the occasional tankfull. I've used Redex many times and i can't say i've noticed a specific difference but i always use branded fuels (mainly Shell), but if you use supermarket fuels it may help clean deposits from your injectors. My fiesta has 140K with no fuelling problems.

Its cheaper at Tesco Extra than Halfords. Also change the fuel filter every 40K not the reccomended 75K as this makes a difference ad its an easy DIY job.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - Peter.N.

Its been in use for about 60 years now, I remember it in the '50s when it was in a pump dispenser and you put in one shot per gallon. Fuels and oils have improved immensly since then rendering it no longer necessary for general use. I think it is basically a thin oil containing some detergents, I really can't see how it could do any damage - unless perhaps you ran the engine on neat Redex.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - Lee1

Generally cheapest at Wilkinsons stores and sometimes Asda.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - Collos25

Don't waste your money.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - starfield

the reason why i am asking is because the focus that i have bought is an ex motability car. It is three year old with 16k on the clock when i bought it. The elderly lady who owned the car lived in south london.

I am presuming that the vehicle has done lots of short trips in town and probably filled on supermarket petrol. The injectors and other fuel parts might need cleaning.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - mikej

the reason why i am asking is because the focus that i have bought is an ex motability car. It is three year old with 16k on the clock when i bought it. The elderly lady who owned the car lived in south london.

I am presuming that the vehicle has done lots of short trips in town and probably filled on supermarket petrol. The injectors and other fuel parts might need cleaning.

My Mk1 Focus had done around 86k miles by the time I sold it (and that included plenty of short journeys due to my daily 6-mile commute) and the fuel economy stayed pretty much constant throughout. I'm not sure whether anything that you mentioned would be covered by any of the major services, but the only bit of the fuel system that I ever touched was replacing the fuel filter myself at around 70k miles.

I certainly never felt the need to put Redex in my tank - not even when the car was getting on a bit.

I think you're worrying too much !

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - mikej

Double post removed

Edited by mikej on 29/05/2010 at 03:20

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - graham3232

Oil and filter change, use a good quality oil 5W30 grade (i use castrol magnatec), get your redex in and have a good 50 mile+ motorway run and all should be fine

Anybody else heard of some horror stories about redex? I have done some googling and there are engines out there that have suffered as a result of using redex

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - Peter.N.

Either coincidental or misused I would think. Redex is one of the oldest names in the motor trade, I wouldn't think it would have survived if it was harmful.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - SteveLee

If you have a toolstation nearby, get down there and buy their petrol additive – it's great value at £2.65, I presume, like most injector cleaners, it's a neat shot of toluene which is a solvent that helps break down gummy deposits - why pay a tenner for the same stuff? Of course modern petrol already has Toluene along with its closely related cousin Benzene in it in smaller doses. Don't breath it in and wear some free disposable gloves from the forecourt when dispensing it. Like the vast majority of aromatics, Toluene is highly carcinogenic and will pass through skin easily. Good that we got rid of "nasty" old lead huh? (insert rolly eyes if I knew how!)

www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/Motor+Additive...2

I've been breathing petrol fumes, cellulose thinners, diesel exhaust, carbon tetrachloride and asbestos dust from brake linings for getting on for 60 years, either the danger of these things has been greatly exagerated or I have been very lucky - the danger of asbestos dust I will concede to as I knew a copuple of people who died from it, at 71 the worst thing I have is diabetes, but that's not causing me any problems at the moment and as far as I know has not been caused by any of the foregoing. Watch out for my obituary!

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - Lee1

I've been breathing petrol fumes, cellulose thinners, diesel exhaust, carbon tetrachloride and asbestos dust from brake linings for getting on for 60 years, either the danger of these things has been greatly exagerated or I have been very lucky - the danger of asbestos dust I will concede to as I knew a couple of people who died from it, at 71 the worst thing I have is diabetes, but that's not causing me any problems at the moment and as far as I know has not been caused by any of the foregoing. Watch out for my obituary!

I had a bit of a scare when dealing with an old gas boiler's flame/pilot window (asbestos). Glad to hear your story, Peter.

Peter, some say cinnamon is good for diabetes. Do a google and you'll see what I'm on about. There are lots of varieties, not sure which, various barks make cinnamon - possibly some are better than others. Some of the diabetes medications may weaken other parts of the immunity in some people.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - Ben {P}

I think there is a load of misinformation here. Just look at the ingredients of Redex- its junk. Which have done scientific tests on such additives, they are snake oil. You are far better off filling with VPower- that has high quality detergents in it. I would not want to run the risk of damaging the CAT etc and anything that is going to make a difference will contaminate your engine oil- you if you put it in you need to change your oil. There is plenty of evidence of this from guys that regularly analyse their oil. If you really want to spend money buy the Red Line cleaner then change your engine oil.

There was a guy on here who used to work as an automotive consultant. In the manufacturers labs they use research grade fuel- it has no detergent in it at all. He said he never saw any deposits with uk fuel. Unless there is actual evidence to the contrary i would not worry about it. Spend your money on decent engine oil. Most of the stuff you read on the net is regarding US fuel and oil.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - gfewster

Redex is snake oil. All additives/cleaners/engine flushers/power boosters are snake oil. Without exception.

And there is no difference between one brand of fuel and another, or between 'supermarket' and branded fuel. It all comes from the same damn refineries and depots, the only difference is the branding on the tankers which come to collect it.

Of course, the premium fuel is different (higher octane rating) but for ordinary modern engines it makes not the slightest bit of difference. Back in the day it did, when some finicky sports car engines required high octane to avoid pinking.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - Collos25
Thats a bit of a sweeping statement I have used trade only Fortes to clear EGR valves and dodgy turbos and works well.Fuel is generally the same when produced in the same refinery to the same recipe the difference is that when its delivered the additive pack is different depending on customer.I would agree with the first statement there is stand in many car parts shops called the dream shelf on here you can find every sort of snake oil and very expensive prices.
Ford Focus 1.8 petrol (56) - REDEX... Has it done harm to anybody's engine? - madf

IIn the manufacturers labs they use research grade fuel- it has no detergent in it at all. He said he never saw any deposits with uk fuel..

So why is my engine and EGR valve covered with carbon?

I'm sorry but even modern engines have deposits... In a lab under ideal conditions maybe none.

I am afraid in real world conditions the above statement flies in the face of all actual world experience so it is therfore male cow excrement . On that basis I ignore everything else he is alleged to have stated.

Edited by madf on 18/11/2010 at 18:07