What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How do you steer yours? - WellKnownSid

You know the scenario. The car park is filled with the sound of rubber-graunching-tarmac, accompanied by that unforgettable siren-song as yet another hydraulic pump and 1,500 psi of mineral oil tries in vain to turn 450mm of stationary rubber, only pausing to let out that characteristic 'moan' as the rack finally reaches the end of its travel and the whole sorry cycle begins again.

Personally I only like to turn the steering wheel when the car is moving, even if only just moving. Maybe it's because I learnt on a car without PAS, or perhaps it's some subconcious 'mechanical sympathy' thing.

I've not driven a car without PAS since the 80's, but I still drive like it's not there. The wife only discovered power assistance in the late nineties, yet is happy to consider steering and moving as two completely separate, unconnected events (whilst I try hard not to cringe).

How about other members?

Edited by WellKnownSid on 14/04/2010 at 22:54

How do you steer yours? - Devolution

Likewise, I always have motion when turning the wheel, even if creeping. Never dry steer PAS or not. Although occasional application of such probably won't cause immediate harm, the noise enough is cringe worthy - along with the noise where people in older cars yank up the handbrake 11 notches without depressing the button.

How do you steer yours? - Avant

I agree - it's a matter of car sympathy. I like to think that those of us who try to be sympathetic to our cars' mechanics are rewarded by the longer life and reliability of the components.

How do you steer yours? - Lygonos

Non smokers die every day.

How do you steer yours? - b308

Same as the rest of you... start to turn when on the move...

How do you steer yours? - Ditso

Like you guys I move 1st steer 2nd. Can't afford the tyre wear and tear they are too expensive! A friend of mine used to work for a tyre company and they loved PS as all the idiots who turned the wheel whilst stationary were just wearing the front tyres out at a rate of knots.

How do you steer yours? - Sofa Spud

I think I always try to be moving at least a little bit before I turn the steering. The steering joints are still under the same stresses as in older vehicles with unassisted steering, just that the driver doesn't feel it.

How do you steer yours? - nb857

The whole point of power steering is that lets you park easy because you don't have to be moving to turn the wheel. My car is nearly 12 years old with over 100k on it. I turn the wheel when stationary and have had zero problems with the steering, or anything else.

Any car that can't be power steered while stationary wants scrapping.

answers on a postcard as to why the above word has letters blanked out, didn't know it was offensive to say scrap.

It was in case you were trying to inject a swear word - fixed now - WKS

Edited by WellKnownSid on 15/04/2010 at 14:54

How do you steer yours? - AlanGowdy

Most of you are correct. The car should be moving, if slowly, when the steering wheel is turned. Power steering makes it easier to turn the wheel - and consequently easier to cause excessive wear and damage - when the car is stationary.

How do you steer yours? - nb857

Power steering makes it easier to turn the wheel - and consequently easier to cause excessive wear and damage - when the car is stationary.

What excessive wear and damage?

A cars weight and tyres hardly alter from the factory spec, so it's really rather easy for the manufacturer to specify the steering components to be strong enough to cope with a bit of parking action. Sure some muppet will put widER tyres on a car, but they are not that much wider than the norm.

It not like people put hundreds or thousands of KGs of ballast on a car and then putting wheels that are 2 or 3 times the width of the standard tyres and THEN filling them with water, now that is hard on steering, parking occasionally is not.

How do you steer yours? - Hugh Watt

Has had a fairly thorough airing before now - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56134