What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Micra - Why do some cars have two horns? - Chris S

I was checking the oil yesterday when I noticed my Micra had two Bosch horns, each wired into its own circuit. Judging by the wiring they were standard equipment.

Is this because of some obscure Japanese construction and use regulations?

Nissan Micra - Why do some cars have two horns? - BorisTheSpider

I was looking at the spec of a car the other day and it said two tone horn, which is what I assume this is, I believe that it makes it easier to pin point.

Boris

Nissan Micra - Why do some cars have two horns? - idle_chatterer

It sounds "better", is more noticeable and (in the past) was often a differentiator between the models in ranges e.g. the GL model had a two-tone horn but the L didn't.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 12/04/2010 at 17:27

Nissan Micra - Why do some cars have two horns? - Cheeky

Two horns gives two notes, the result is a chord which sounds better than just a basic on note 'parp'. The interval between the notes is most commonly a major third (usually Treble C with the A flat below) which is the same interval as the 'ding dong' of a doorbell.

Some French cars have twin tone horns that are different and at a higher pitch. Haven't yet had the chance to work that one out.

Here endeth the thesis. I knew a music degree came in useful for something.....!!

Nissan Micra - Why do some cars have two horns? - Bilboman

You can never have too many, for times when you really need one! I'm with Homer Simpson on this - remember the episode where he was given carte blanche to design a car for his long lost brother's firm - which subsequently bankrupted the company! - and one of the key design features was a great big horn push right "where you need it" which plays La Cucuracha. The pathetic poop sound some modern car horns have (notably low to medium range models in airport hire car fleets) are quite pathetic.