What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - Missfire only on full throttle? - Faxo

My sister brought her 2002 Ka to me with a really bad missfire a few weeks ago, its got the older tappet Endura engine in it

I took a look and found number 3 plug wasn't doing anything, and traced it back to water ingress into the coil where the lead goes in. She'd driven it like this for a few days

I replaced the coil, all 4 leads and the plugs and all seemed well

Then she brought it back over last night with it having no power at all. On her drive over the exhaust also split at the flexi, so it was in a poor state! I took it to work expecting it to take me hours to get there, but i found that if i just feathered the throttle all was fine, it drove ok. If i 'booted' it though, it stuttered and coughed and really struggled.

I found the leads weren't on the coil properly (its really difficult to gain access), and when messing i managed to break one. So, new leads purchased again, fitted correctly this time (im sure!) and a full new exhaust and its still missing on full throttle?!

Im beginning to think maybe its burnt out a valve with it being driven with a missfire, although it was fine after the new coil and leads for a couple of weeks? Also, Is the exhaust blowing apart just pure coincedence? And finally, does anyone think that its cheap leads/coil thats causing it? I dont want to go and buy another decent set only to find they're the same?!

Ive checked all hoses, connections, and even reset the tappets, but still the same!

Help!!

Ford Ka - Missfire only on full throttle? - oilrag

If this were an older, pre CAT car, I would close up the plug gaps to around half the manufacturers spec - to see if it was the HT side of things giving a problem.

There are several reasons this may not be desireable on a more modern car -but you could try it at your own risk for a few miles and if it runs smoothly on full throttle - you know it`s the HT side that can`t handle or supply the voltage to the plugs with the normal gap.