Review - Punto van Mk2b 1.3 Multijet (pre DPF) - oilrag

Otherwise known as the Continental cruiser, or Ben Hur`s chariot - the latter certainly seeming it on local streets where you get the same lightness of control and leaping from bump to bump on our local potholed `roads`.

Mrs O calls it the `breadbin` perhaps on account of it being white and having a bit of old crust in the driving seat - or maybe a half baked fruitcake tucked in the corner. It didn`t help that leaves and twigs were produced from behind her seat on one of her internal clean-ups. Yeah, who cares about the inside?

It`s a van. A van that`s being used privately as a two seater car, only with a large `boot`.

It`s basic and one up on a chariot, what with it`s wind up windows and heater. Only weighing in at around 1,000kg, it`s also decidedly nippy too with it`s almost 200nm of torque at 1,750 revs.

Fuel consumption in the City is around 62mpg from a cold start and over a 4 mile mixed run. It`s done a 79mpg return over 120 miles at around 55mph and really can`t be forced below 60mpg for any length of time however it`s driven.

Camchain, hydraulic tappets, galvanized..pre DPF - all plus points.

Build faults -the rear door lock not seated properly - two minutes to fix.

Possible design faults? door check strap on drivers door wore after only 15,000 miles leading to a clicking sound on opening. Fitted a new one (cost £15) and used a couple of drops of Mobil 1, now and then, instead of spray grease.It`s still like new after another 15,000 miles

Running faults - Went into limp mode once two years ago on going to 3,000 revs on the Motorway. This cleared and no codes. Perhasps induced by my running for months at around 2,000 revs. Lesson learned - now up to 3,500/4,000 revs every time out with a hot engine. no further problems.

It`s great. I love it`s basic nature - and much to Mrs O`s amusement I wouldn`t swap it for anything - although I could if I wished buy something much more luxurious.

Shortly it will be in France and then Germany and Koblenz - no complaints then on load space when Mrs O is on a thousand handbag mission.

oilrag

Review - Punto van Mk2b 1.3 Multijet (pre DPF) - oilrag

Whoops posted in wrong section- Sorry