What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 Daewoo Nubira 1.6 Estate - Too much oil - Can I save my engine?! - KizzieM

I put too much oil in my engine - probably about double what I should - a couple of months ago. I had no clue how to get it back out so I've been running the car like that.

In mid February it started getting a little sluggish, losing power while moving and requiring additional pressure on the clutch to maintain speed and power. However the clutch became a little sticky at around the same time and this led to the car almost kangarooing while driving.

I have been using it for the school run twice a day and not much more than that although for the past 3 weeks I have been driving it once a week on National roads - I get up to 50 max as it has other problems (wheel bearing and tracking I think) which affect the steering and control of the car and problems with the new brakes giving kickback and not always stopping the car.

Anyway back to the point. I had no clue how much damage too much oil could do to the engine until I read posts on this forum.

The other day, the engine finally spluttered and cut off at a set of traffic lights just round the corner from where I live. I did get it started again and drove the 200 yards home. The engine turned over yesterday and I drove a round trip of about 100 yards to test it. It was very spluttery but didn't quite cut off.

Is it beyond the point of saving and would I need to get a mechanic to come to the car rather than me drive it to them and do any more damage?

02 Daewoo Nubira 1.6 Estate - Too much oil - Can I save my engine?! - bathtub tom

>>I have been using it for the school run twice a day ........ - I get up to 50 max as it has other problems (wheel bearing and tracking I think) which affect the steering and control of the car and problems with the new brakes giving kickback and not always stopping the car.

You admit to doing a school run (I assume with children) and having brakes that don't always stop the car?

I guess you're trolling, or if not, you should address the safety issues first.

You are correct - 1 child in car on school run however as I said, brakes are new, possibly cheap ones as garage wasn't overly expensive, and child has not been in car since they were fitted. I have asked garage to look at them again but not sure it's worth the expense of doing that and wheel bearing if engine is beyond saving...

02 Daewoo Nubira 1.6 Estate - Too much oil - Can I save my engine?! - kithmo

The wheel bearing could be the reason the brakes are not working so well. Slight wheel wobble willpush the brake pads back, needing more pedal movement to bring them back to the disc.
02 Daewoo Nubira 1.6 Estate - Too much oil - Can I save my engine?! - Victorbox

"requiring additional pressure on the clutch to maintain speed and power." What does this mean? If you press the clutch you start to disengage the engine from the gearbox thereby losing power. That's why you press the clutch each time you change gear.

Too much oil can (amongst other things) blow most seals in the engine including the rear crankshaft oil seal leading to a ruined clutch as it will get covered in oil. You need someone to drain out some oil via the sump drain plug to obtain the correct oil level asap.

Edited by Victorbox on 06/04/2010 at 15:03

Yes, sorry, that was just me being a bit ditzy - I meant accelerator duh! Was reading something else while typing and wrote clutch instead.

Thanks Victorbox, I don't know any mechanics so I could try getting under the car and draining the oil myself. Not entirely sure how although I imagine the maintenance manual will point to where the sump is! I will try this tomorrow - if the rain ever stops! - and let you know how I get on :-)

I did smell burning when I restarted after it cut off so not sure if one or all of the valves are away already or whether it was something else. Doesn't yet sound like there's a burnt valve but I really don't know much about car engines, except what I've picked up from problems with previous cars.

02 Daewoo Nubira 1.6 Estate - Too much oil - Can I save my engine?! - Armitage Shanks {p}

You don't need to "know" a mechanic - you need to go a garage that services and repairs cars and/or a Daewoo dealer. Have a look at www.yell.com, in your area. Simples!

02 Daewoo Nubira 1.6 Estate - Too much oil - Can I save my engine?! - Avant

Agree with AS - I do think you need to go to a garage. First try the one that dealt with the brakes, and if there is a fault, and the repair was recent, they should sort it out for you without charge. They can look at the engine at the same time.

If you don't want to go back there, ask some of your friends if they know a reliable garge, and also look on the Good Garage guide on this site and see if there are any listed near you.

Good luck!

Thank you to all who have replied. I will check out the Good Garages section as suggested.

02 Daewoo Nubira 1.6 Estate - Too much oil - Can I save my engine?! - Robin the Technician

Have you ACTUALLY checked the oil in the last few days? The opposite may have happened as high oil can blow all the engine seals - thus all the excess oil, plus the remainder being thrown out. If that has happened the engine 'could' be heading for a big siezure.

Robin the Technician