What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo TDCi 130 Zetec - Replacement for poor Mondeo - MorrisOx

I bought a 55 plate (2006 model year) Mondeo TDCi 130 in early 2007, It was a one owner car with 27,000 on the clock and the first couple of years were great. Strong performance, excellent economy (a measured 62-64mpg on its regular journeys) and good long distance comfort. It's also been a boon in winter with the Quickclear front screen.

But...since then it's gone steadily downhill. Even though I polish the car regularly its paint is starting to lose its lustre (too many fine surface scratches, one or two 'flat' areas), the interior (and boot especially) are starting to show the first signs of tattiness and rattles. It has had one or two minor niggles which have needed repair at services, but worst of all it has had all four discs replaced and the pad sets changed SIX times in a failed effort to get to the bottom of an intermittent squealing/chattering noise. It's a pleasant enough drive, still, but the truth is that the car is not wearing its age well and with no solution in sight for this intermittent noise I've reached the point where it's got to go.

Parker's list it at around £4-4.5k trade in, and I've got up to £1,500 I could scrape together to fund a replacement - though my preference is for a trade where I only spend a few hundred. So I know I'm probably looking at an older, higher mileage car. The issue is finding something which will wear its years well and not hit me with big bills for big parts.

I'm angling towards an Accord (2003 onwards) because my wife has a Civic which is a gem to drive and just feels that much better made than the Ford, but have also considered everything from Volvo V50/S60/V70 to an old BMW 5 series diesel (though I think there's some wish fulfilment there!), to a Passat (though I know they may not be great high-milers), to the old model Audi A6.

I'd really appreciate it if Backroomers could offer opinions on those cars as sound buys, what it's like running an older high-mileage car (it would be a first for me), and any suggestions about other family-size vehicles. I'm not necessarily wedded to diesel, though the economy seems attractive.

Sorry this is such a long post, but would appreciate informed answers.

Edited by MorrisOx on 26/03/2010 at 10:18

Ford Mondeo TDCi 130 Zetec - Replacement for poor Mondeo - barney100

I have had severall older Volvos over many years and can say if you look after them they give excellent service.A notable 940 estate bought for £1600 with 160k went on for a few years with regular oil changes and an indie or two keeping me out of the silly price servicing at the main dealers. If you go down that road there are loads of older Volvos for sale, check the normal bits like pads / discs etc. check out the Volvo owners club high mileage register and be impressed with the number of very high mileage ones around.

Ford Mondeo TDCi 130 Zetec - Replacement for poor Mondeo - MorrisOx

Cheers for that, Barney. I take your point about their high mileage capability. I know there are a few V70s around, but most of those eight years old or less are 2.0/2.4 petrols, which would cost a fair whack in juice. The only D5s I've seen are very high milers and usually at 'traders' I've never heard of. I don't know enough to be comfortable buying in that kind of situation.

I've seen a 2005 V50 1.8 petrol with 43k miles on non-Volvo dealer forecourt at just under £5,800. I'm tempted, but it's a little higher than I'd like to pay.

I should have been well sorted with the Mondeo, but it just isn't lasting well and I want something solid and good to drive. Just don't have a feel for older, high mileage cars because I've never bought one.