Returning to UK with new baby. What car for £6K? - MarkinCanada

My wife and I are soon returning home after 3 years in Canada. One of my first tasks will be to buy us a car. My budget limit is £6K (don't want to take on extra financing at this stage). We have also just had a baby boy. So, I am looking for a reliable car that:

1. is big/flexible enough to carry bulky baby gear with ease (eg push chair, travel cot, nappy bag), along with shopping, car seat and so on.

2. gets good MPG - would be happy to consider diesel though always driven petrol until now

3. isn't too old or too high mileage

4. Isn't too big (we'll be sharing the car and my wife likes small cars!).

On the bigger side of things, I've looked at Ford C-Max/Focus estate. On the smaller side of things, the Honda Jazz or Nissan Note. If anyone had any suggestions, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for reading!

Edited by MarkinCanada on 26/03/2010 at 04:18

Returning to UK with new baby. What car for £6K? - veryoldbear

Depends a little what you have been driving last few years, cars are very international.

Do you prefer manual or automatic ? Only buy a diesel if you are doing big mileages and long runs: they are not an ideal shopping car, particularly in the winter when they never warm up. Baby gear takes up an amazing amount of space and it gets worse for a couple of years as you get into bigger pushchairs, gigantic car seats and possibly No 2.

Returning to UK with new baby. What car for £6K? - retgwte

depends on miles you are doing etc

streety-travel-system-oxygen-black-bebe-confort can be had for about 170 quid, which has child seat and pushchair all of which fits a small car (which many dont)

small car we have a fiat panda, which can be had from 6300 quid brand new on the road from places like http://www.fiatsupasaver.com/, and we find a brilliant car, and bigger inside than you would think
new car guarantee etc is hard to beat for that price, and fine for 2 adults plus one baby

for longer journeys go for the diesel version though, probably force you to go 2nd hand on your budget

if you want a slightly bigger car I think the current model Suzuki Swift is hard to beat, not sure what you would get for your budget, but there are 2nd hand ones on suzuki web site etc

Re our budget - I was assuming we'd get a used car. Will check out the Swift though. Thanks!

Returning to UK with new baby. What car for £6K? - retgwte

latest 1.1 panda is a great car

if ur happy with a white or yellow one dont rule out a new one for 6300, group1 insurance, will be white or yellow for that price tho but none the worse for that

perrys sells em cheap too

galvanised and built to last

5 doors to get child in and out of back easily

let us know how u get on

Well - during our time in Canada (in Vancouver to be precise), we have done without a car and used the excellent public transit system. Before Canada, we had a Jazz 1.4 SE (manual) Excellent car, but boot space not quite big enough to fit our pushchair. And you are right - with the possibility of No. 2, perhaps a bigger car is worth it!

Also, my commute will likely be short mileage-wise (circa 20 miles a day) but taking a long time in start-stop traffic. I assume a diesel is not a great suggestion then...

I'd prefer manual, but not too fussed.

Edited by MarkinCanada on 26/03/2010 at 17:03

Returning to UK with new baby. What car for £6K? - MondeoMonkeyMagic

Firstly congratulations on your new baby, we have a Misubishi Colt 2006 1.1 Attivo 5 dr and it does the job admirably and was alot cheaper than the almost identical Jazz. It has a chain cam too and gets about 40mpg around town and on longer journey 50mpg is achievable. The Colt's have a diesel but they can be quite dear. Ford Fusion is another possibility - hope this helps. Regards

Thanks - I'll check out the Colt and Fusion. We appreciate your suggestions.