What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FORD Galaxy 1.9 tdi - White smoke everywhere - Lockie

Major, major problem with thick white smoke filling the car interior, also coming out of the exhaust and from under the car, also under the bonnet.

This problem has now developed into a major problem where the car will only start up if left for a few hours or longer and when it does there is so much white smoke it's unbelievable. It looks as if the car is about to go up in flames.

A week a go I had the engine codes read, P1570 and P1557. engine ECU blocked and Turbo pressure control repectively. I had been having a problem with dramatic power limitation at 60mph and also irractic accelaration on light throttle. Both of these where intermittant.

Went round the ring road last night and only just got home before it packed up completeley, wouldn't even crank.

The next morning it started, ran a bit rough for about a minute whilst emitting masses of white smoke. The engine will only start once in about 5 hours, presumably the ecu dictates this to help protect the engine.

Can some one please offer an explanation - is this car dying???

My guesses are N75 valve or EGR valve or both? - had codes erased a week ago but have connected a reader since but returns 'no codes stored'

Could it be the head gasket but no visual signs of a leak. There was a whistling type of noise ealier this week.

HELP!!

FORD Galaxy 1.9 tdi - White smoke everywhere - Jarek D.

I would think it is a head gasket failure if there is loads of white smoke coming out of exhaust!!!

Thanks Jarek - I just amazed at how much smoke there is and the fact that it's getting into the cab, presumably through the air vents!

Fingers crossed for more feedback!

I had the same thing happen to my mondeo, the was soooo much smoke You couldn't even see the other side of the street!! What year is your car and what is the mileage??? You can check if it is a head gasket, make sure engine is cold and then start the car and then open radiator cap for a few seconds and then close it for say 20 seconds and then open the cap really slow again and if you hear a gushing sound than it is a head gasket. The cooling system is being pressurized because of the head gasket being faulty!!! Sorry to be a bearer of bad news!!!

It's a FORD GALAXY TTURBO DIESEL 1.9ltr, year of manufacture 2000 if that's any help.

Unfortunately, there is no radiator as it's a diesel but there is an expansion tank but bear in mind that I can only run the car for about 1 minute before there is too much smoke to deal with!

....so why was your mondeo smoking and what that a diesel?

>>>the mileage is a mere 59000!

FORD Galaxy 1.9 tdi - White smoke everywhere - rtj70

>> Unfortunately, there is no radiator as it's a diesel

So how does your car keep the engine cool enough? It has a radiator.

..yes but not with a integral filler cap ie the expansion tank.

For what it's worth, the fault is a blown head gasket! - the car is not worth repairing and will now be sold on.

I dont know but 59000 miles and you got a head gasket problem??? I would fix it if it was me, it would cost you around 300-400 pounds so it is not that bad!!! My mondeo was a diseal!!