What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - dieseldogg

Like why did my wife drive my beloved Galaxy home without a functioning water pump or power steering on Friday past. the pump having seized and stripped the belt.

She said " it was making a funny noise, then the noise stopped and the power steering failed, then a while later the cooling fan cut in"

but she drove on. Study the dash?, read the gauges?, Doh No.

Doh indeed. we both got mobile phones, i would have been able to diagnose over the phone, i would then have went & rescued/towed her home.

So is this a gender specific deficiency?

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - Sofa Spud

i'm a man and i seized the engine of a Ford transit because i ignored the oil warning light and i even ignored the increasing heat in the cab. but i was only trying to get to the next phone-box. Sadly the little truck came to a grinding halt (literally) a couple of miles short of the phone box. but i was only 21 at the time!

but it wasn't all my fault. the mechanics had rebuilt its diesel engine and had only done the sump bolts up finger-tight - so it wasn't difficult to work out where all the oil had gone. oh, and they were male mechanics!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/03/2010 at 22:54

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - hbosken

"Sorry, hubby. i knew i'd caught the front bumper on the fence post but thought if i reverse back, it'll work free." "by the way, a nice man folded down the back seats for me and put the front bumper in the back of the car". cost to repair? £1,800.

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - redviper

Travelling with my sister in her clio, we approached a set of traffic lights on red, we where 1st to the lights.

She pulls up, brakes and the procedes to hold the car on the clutch.

M- Me

S- Sister

M :"why dont you put your handbrake on"? I asked

S: "because this is easier"

M: " Well your going to burn out your clutch"

S "So, ill just get another one"

M "What if you let go of the clutch, say you pass out or something?"

S "Thats not going to happen, it will be fine"

All i could do is shake my head in dispair

SWMBO also does a simaler thing in her auto C4, holding the revs so it sits at biting point on whatever the system the c4 has a for a clutch

M: "you will damage the clutch system on this"

SWMBO "no i wont, and if it does ill get it replaced and anway citreon should develop one that doesent"

Again shaking head in dispair, I of course am pratically perfect in everway ;-)

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - DP

I have only done this once. Not long after Mrs DP and I met, we headed down to Cornwall for a long weekend. At the top of Porlock Hill, we decided to stop and go for a stroll to take in the sights. The second the engine was switched off, the entire contents of the cooling system of my old Sierra were ejected through the expansion tank overflow pipe.

I had a 2 litre bottle of water which I put in. This barely touched the sides. After letting the engine cool for as long as we could, we drove on. It took only a few minutes for the temperature gauge to bury itself off the red. I took the decision to keep going until we found somewhere safe to stop. This transpired to be a pub a mile or so up the road. As I pulled into the car park, the back wheels locking up told me the engine had finally seized, and the steam, smoke, and frying oil oozing from every surface told me I'd pushed my luck a little far. I can still remember the acrid stench emanating from under the bonnet. Burning oil, boiling coolant, and hot, hot metal. As someone normally with mechanical sympathy, I was ashamed of myself. I actually still am.

But the Pinto engine was a bit special. In a show of strength and defiance to embarrass any modern engine, it not only started first turn of the key once cooled, but got us another 400 odd miles reliably (albeit with a bit of an appetite for coolant) until I got it home and changed the head gasket the following weekend. Cranking the engine with no1 plug out sent a jet of rusty water about 3ft out of the plug hole :-) And still it ran.

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - DP

"Sorry, hubby. i knew i'd caught the front bumper on the fence post but thought if i reverse back, it'll work free." "by the way, a nice man folded down the back seats for me and put the front bumper in the back of the car". cost to repair? £1,800.

Ah yes. I had a similar conversation with Mrs DP, who just nicked the rear arch of my old mk2 Cav SRi on a concrete fence post while exiting a narrow gate. She apparently stopped immediately, and then genuinely believing it to be for the best, put it in gear and kept going.

Turned what would probably have been a tiny, barely noticeable dent into a foot long, back to metal scrape.

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - dieseldogg

Actually actually

On the "Gender specific" subject

As a still wet behind the ears novice driver, needless to say whose confidence exceeded their actual ability, I was multi point turning a Hillman Hunter in a confined space in a cramped car park. On my last reverse I allowed I would make it out forward with the next cut. Except I didnt, I caught on the wheel arch of a big shiney new Volvo estate.

I immediately stopped, got out and spoke in to the lady who was sitting in the passenger seat, She looked at me in a kindly way and said " dont worry son, the way my husband treats cars, I'll just ask him in a couple of days, what did you catch on, theres a scrape on the mudguard".

I thanked her profusely, and in a reciprocal fashion have extend the same courtsey to a couple of people who have caught on me in a minor way.

cheers

M

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - redviper

A past friend of mine did a similar thing in his X REG 1.3 Cavalier

12 miles away the seal on the water pump broke, spurting coolant out as fast as you could imagine.

He decided the best plan of action was to top up with water and drive 12 mile or so home to his farm

This worked fine for about 43 miles when all of a sudden on came the radiator fan and the temp gauge went into the red.

However he persevered the temp gauge well over the red, we got 300 yards away from his house whereby the power to the engine tailed off, and as he managed to limp towards the farm  house there was virtually no power at all, blue smoke started pouring through the dash vents, where at this point we jumped out the cav and ran for it. Thinking it was going to go up in flames.

We left it for a couple of hours to cool down, and topped back up with water and it started (after turning for bit) but ran brilliantly, replaced the pump and within that weekend it was fine again

Edited by WellKnownSid on 24/03/2010 at 14:37

Ford Galaxy - Gender specific traits - WellKnownSid

Could be.

A neighbour of mine has a Xantia diesel.  Wife drove home (10 miles) despite the car making the loudest shrieking noise which could probably have been heard 10 miles away.

Having made it home the husband ran out and shouted to her to turn the engine off.

"No, I want you to hear the noise, listen"

"TURN THE ENGINE OFF!"

"No, listen, it's making a teriible noise"

The husband hadn't got to the ignition key before the water pump finally siezed, snapped the cam belt in the process!  Ten times the repair bill in ten seconds... very luckily only broke one valve, however...