What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - Chad.R
I'm sure most of you may agree that, in general, cars made in Japan tend to be more reliable than cars made in the rest of the world.

Why is this?

Is it that the Japanese have higher manufacturing technology standards? ...better engineering? ...more stringent quality control? ...better component design? ........what?

Or, on the other hand is this just a "modern myth", perpetuated since the 70's, when you could argue that all of the above factors, were in indeed true?

Now, I know that there are going to be backroomers with very reliable non-jap cars (myself included), also very unreliable jap cars, who may not necessarily agree with this theory.

However, I'm really asking the question on a "Japanese Motor industry Vs The Rest of the World's Motor Industry" and not on case-by-case level.

Chad.R
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - The Watcher
Why are Japanese cars so reliable? Because they have a 'get it right first time' attitude.

Someone further up(down) suggested Japanese cars built in the UK were less reliable.

I believe both Nissan and Toyota UK built cars are in fact said to be MORE reliable than their Japanese built counterparts.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - nick
I heard the opposite, Watcher, but it was only anecdotal, no hard evidence.
Any info on this HJ?
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - crazed
its always intersting to look at how the same car made in different countries fares

for instance in my experience a german built vectra is better than a uk built one (yes i know theyve stopped making them in uk)

and i wish you could get easy access to stats which showed the true differences, although i believe that GM used to bring in almost complete cars and stick a few finals parts on it in the uk and log it as UK built (dodgy tax reasons probably) so the VIN plate isnt the full story

and also japanese corollas seem to get less problems than their UK built cousins

Such similar cars having such different track records according to where they are built must mean something ?

Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - Peter
A colleague of mine works in a world famous car factory on the outskirts of Swindon. He says their greatest problem is the quality of supplied parts. On the CRV he reckons he has spent many hours replacing fuel pumps for an internal fault. It is an intermittent fault and does not affect all cars, he says the pumps are made in France. He claims the Japanes parts always perform well but European parts tend to have the greater failure rate and that is before they leave the factory.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - Thommo
This reminds me of the old Granada saga. Everyone wanted a German built Granada not a UK built one. Ford dealers would NEVER agree to this arguing that they were all the same but they weren't. The German ones were better and the BG fleet manager used to check the vin plates and reject UK made one.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - lezebre
The mk1 Primera Estates were imported from Japan; the Saloons built in Sunderland were judged to be the better car.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - Tomo
No union trouble, more investment, vastly better morale.

These are inter-related.

Tomo
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - THe Growler
If you have ever been to Japan you must have noticed the intense attention to detail paid to even the tiniest item. The smallest thing seems to have importance and is given it. The mundanest item is decoratively presented or arranged, an item you or I wouldn't give a second thought to, yet someone has thought it important enough to merit consideration. On top of that is the formality with which customary processes like serving food or greeting someone is carried out. Translate that to the automobile and why is it surprising?

It's all there in the culture. Maybe not for you and me with our upbringing but it sure results in some good cars.

But the Japanese can be naughty......recently here in the Land of Sun and Fun emissions testing has been introduced and your vehicle is now tested when you take it to the traffic office registration each year. The highest rate of failures in relatively new vehicles is with Mitsubishi's, that's Pajero's, Pickups, the L200 series and so on. The motoring press took a look at this and discoverd that all Mitsubishi diesel engines imported here for assembly (vehicles are a mix of local assembly and imported parts) are a 1970's design which is dirty and inefficient and must have paid for itself over and over again R & D wise, but would not pass muster in a more developed market.

I doubt we shall see mass hara-kiri at Mitsubishi Philippines Corporation but it must have dented that company's spoutings about their role in environmental blah blah.

Having said that, the damn things still don't go wrong!

Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - Ian (Cape Town)
The local Far-East boys have it right - big smiles, excellent service, boring, bland but reliable products...
Example: Father phones around for a new car for mother. A cash deal.
Requirement: automatic gearbox.
VW - we'll get back to you with a price/delivery. No follow up, ever. (0/10)
Opel - Auto's only start at Omega level here. Too big, sorry. (2/10)
Ford - don't return initial call.
Renault - ditto
Pug - no small autos available
Toyota - Take a corrola to the house, let mum potter about in it for an hour. She doesn't like it. (some feminine whim -she can't say WHY she doesn't like it, she just doesn't...) No problem, says salesman. Thank you for considering Toyota. (10/10)
Daihatsu - Same as Toyota, BUT took her out to potter about, left car with her overnight, came back next day, yes, she's happy. Took specs, left with car, phoned back - yes, there is a car to your requirements available, when may we delivery it?
Arrives two days later, with full tank, bunch of flowers,etc. Sales fellow shows her all over the thing, what lever does what, how the filler caps work,what each switch does, how to check oil/water etc.
Phone back a week later - is all well with the car?
Phone back 6 months later - have you forgotten your free first service? (No, she hasn't logged up enough miles for it yet!)
Send round bloke, take car away, back later in the day, service book stamped, washed/ valeted etc. 10/10.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - peterb
In terms of plant location, my Japanese-built IS200 is *much* better screwed together than my previous UK-built Avensis.

Peter

PS Toyota was the company whose cars spent less time being built than Mercedes spent in rectification.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - terryb
Yes, the attention to deatil is almost obsessive.

A few years ago now, the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway loaned a couple of locos to Japan for a garden festival and one of their drivers went out there to shw them the ropes. Lighting up the boiler in the morning required some sticks of wood an oily rag and some coal. Not rocket science!

"How long should the wood be?"
"No longer than 30 cm"
"No, exactly how long should they be"
"Okay then 30 cm"
So all the firewood was cut to exactly 30cm. Perfectly good kindling 29.75 cm long or less was discarded!

Terry
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - mark
I have done some work with a large international Japanese Component Manufacturer and have visited their UK operation.

Whilst touring the various sections as part of the consultancy project I noticed that in the inbound goods sections some boxes of supplies were opened, checked and counted and some not. When I asked how they determined which one and how many to open I found out that

a) only supplies from non Japanese manufacturers were opened and checked

b) Japanese produced supplies went straight to the production lines

The reason for this was explained to me as being experience showed only non jap supplies produced problems with quality or quantity.

as ever

Mark

Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - RichardM
The paintwork quality on my Sunderland built Micra is poorer than that of a typical similar aged Jap built Nissan, (e.g. Almera), and I'll go as far to say I've seen much better paintwork on some earlier version (K10) Micra's (Jap built) which are 5 years older than mine.

Otherwise very satisfied, I have to say.

But I intend to go for a 'proper' Jap built Nissan (Almera) next time around.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - crazed
the old joke goes that UK factory places parts order on japanese supplier

X million widgets
Size Y
Shapes P,Q and Z
Acceptable failure rate 0.05 %

The Japanese factory looks at the order and breaks 0.05 % of the stuff coming off the end of their production line to meet the UK requirement, ie they were 100 % ok before that...

sounds funny with a few beers in you anyways
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - T Lucas
The question must be why do we continue to buy the same old poorly built and unreliable junk from the likes of Renault,GM,Peugeot,Fiat and Citroen etc.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - dave18
Because some isn't that bad and its cheap?
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - THe Growler
I would hazard there is also the traditional Japanese xenophobia at work here as well. It is important that the perception of Western inferiority/Japanese superiority is maintained at any and all costs. The complex culture dictates latter must be reinforced at all times. Face would be lost if Japanese products were thus checked, since it would imply they were no better.

This is a hard one to explain if you haven't worked there. Every single thing is about the giving of, or ensuring no loss of, face.

I recall an instance of an Asia-wide IT investment roll-out planned and managed from my company's base in Hong Kong. The hardware platform envisaged was a household Western name and the programme was in part designed to harmonize across a geographical area a motley array which had grown like Topsy over the years. Much development and testing time and money was involved to demonstrate the set up worked and met the business needs under all conditions. The Japanese simply would not accept the foreign hardware and moved heaven and earth with enormously creative subterfuge, not to mention dirty tricks, to avoid taking onboard the rollout plan for their country. They had to have a Japanese hardware provider at any cost.

In the end politics, face and pragmatism converged and they got what they wanted, for once, with a less superior Japanese product. It all simply came down to the "disgrace" which would have befallen the local management had they accepted a foreign hardware supplier, by implication admitting their country could not produce the best there was.

Sorry off motoring slightly, but the dynamics behind why Japanese stuff is the way it is a study in itself!

But they do make some blunders: after WWII they designed the rebuild of Tokyo street configuration based on that of Manila, which their army had just recently occupied! That's given them a traffic problem like ours.

Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - dave18
Total Quality Management for a start.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - Daedalus
Chad.R

Many of the comments above are correct as far as I am concerned, but no one has yet mentioned the words "Toyota Manufacturing System" There is a series of books published by Productivity Press in Oregon that cover the way Toyota managed to do what they do to improve reliability in the cars they make. I think basically it grew over many years from the ideas of one man, Shingeo Shingo, who looked at how Toyota produced cars and basically said lets do it right in all respects first time and reduce the time to make it. The family has just got back from the fireworks so have to go.

Bill
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - Carl2
If you look at the price of Japanese spares they ought to be far more reliable than Ford. As I have to pay out of my own pocket when things go wrong I,ll stick with Fords.
Why are Japanese cars more reliable? - acrabat
Reliability all comes down to basic engineering and the philosophy of the people who run the motor company.
I remember speaking to this chap in the early eighties who worked in the leyland/rover factory. He described to me how cars were coming of the production line with hugh whopping great faults. Being a conciencious sort of bloke he went to his line manager to tell him. His manager told him not to worry that whoever bought the car could get it fixed at a dealership.
There is the difference, the eastern manufacturers top brass actually cared whether their cars were reliable. The British bosses couldnt give a stuff about the consumer.
Of course I do believe things have changed since then, but then again mabey it hasnt.