What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Who belongs to who now? - barney100
I am confused as to who owns who now, if you buy a Citroen it could be a Fiat or if you geta Volvo it could be a Ford, so what are the facts?
Who belongs to who now? - Stuartli
Fiat has had partnerships with PSA and Ford for many years, particularly in the field of commercial vehicles.

In the 1990s, for instance, the Fiat Ducato was also assembled by Fiat as a Citroën and Peugeot (Talbot Express) derivative and, later, as the Citroën Jumper and Peugeot Boxer.

The Boxer was especially liked by drivers as you could walk directly into the rear compartment between the front seats as the gear lever was high up, almost at dash level.

Ironically many van buyers used to avoid the Fiat version as they remembered the tales of Fiat vehicles' "rusting" up to the late 1970s, yet happily bought either PSA model.

Ford and Fiat used to have a partnership tie up with Iveco, but Fiat now owns it outright.

There are dozens of other examples of car companies working together that could be quoted, such as the VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy and Seat Alhambra MPV joint manufacturing agreement in the 1990s. IIRC a new factory was built in Portugal for the enterprise.
Who belongs to who now? - Sofa Spud
VW Audi Group owns: VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti and are set to own Porsche too soon.

PSA owns: Peugeot, Citroen

BMW owns: BMW, Mini, Rolls-Royce

Daimler-Benz owns: Mercedes-Benz, MCC Smart, Maybach.

Fiat owns: Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari and Maserati.

Tata owns: Jaguar, Land Rover.

Geely (Chinese company) recently bought Volvo from Ford.

Spyker intends to buy Saab from GM

Renault partly owns and is partly owned by Nissan

Mazda used to be a subsidiary of Ford but I think it's only partly owned by them now.

Please feel free to update or correct the above information!!!
Who belongs to who now? - Sofa Spud
....while Toyota has never taken over any other car makers. They started Lexus and Scion from scratch as new brands.
Who belongs to who now? - jc2
Virtually every automobile business has tie-ups and joint ventures with other manufacturers.Toyota and Ford came close to amalgamating at least four times in their history but not recently.The original Mr. Toyoda was Ford trained back in the 1930's.
In South America,there were Fords sold with Renault engines and these were also on sale in Scandinavia.
Who belongs to who now? - Lygonos
I think Toyota own Daihatsu.
Who belongs to who now? - rtj70
I think Toyota own Daihatsu.

They do indeed own them. Lexus used to be a brand but isn't it a separate subsidiary now too? They also have some sort of venture with Subaru which will result in a new Celica.

Mazda was only ever partly owned by Ford. they sold of some/all of that stake recently.

And I think what was once known as VW Audi Group (VAG) and is now just Volkswagen Group because they own so many other brands/marques. The parent company Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft (hence VAG) makes all the shared components.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/02/2010 at 12:04

Who belongs to who now? - Clk Sec
>>Mazda was only ever partly owned by Ford. they sold of some/all of that stake recently.

Do you know who to?

Clk Sec
Who belongs to who now? - rtj70
Do you know who to?

No but I'm sure they did to alleviate their financial problems.

Also just read that Toyota Motor Company owns 16.% of Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) who are the parent company of Subaru.

To quote Wikipedia:
Toyota also owns and operates Lexus and Scion brands and has a majority shareholding stake in Daihatsu and Hino Motors, and minority shareholdings in Fuji Heavy Industries, Isuzu Motors, Yamaha Motors, and Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation. The company includes 522 subsidiaries

Edited by rtj70 on 21/02/2010 at 12:25

Ford owned 31% of Mazda shares(which was sufficient to give them control) and they were sold back to Mazda.
Who belongs to who now? - Clk Sec
Thanks.
Who belongs to who now? - Rattle
Proton own Lotus

I think Renault are still going ahead with a tie up with Lada but have seen no news on such development.

Toyota and PSA have a tie up with the Aygo/107/C1

Hyundai own Kia

Nissan also had owned part of Samsung Automobile not sure if they are even still going.
Who belongs to who now? - Bagpuss
Renault own Dacia in Romania, 80% of Renault Samsung Automobile in South Korea and 25% of AvtoVaz in Russia, who make Lada.

VW own 20% of Suzuki. VW also owned 51% of Proton for a while but didn't get on well with the Malaysian government who owned the other 49%.

Daimler Benz owned the Mitsubishi Motor Company for about 5 years around the turn of the century, but weren't able to turn the company around so sold them off to Goldman Sachs.
Toyota own Daihatsu, and also bought General Motors' share in Subaru in late 2008. Their have been - Auristocrat
Toyota own Daihatsu, and also bought General Motors' share in Subaru in late 2008.
Their have been rumours since of a new Toyota coupe, based on the Impreza.
Back in the late 90's I was told by a staff member of Daihatsu UK that the original Yaris was a Daihatsu design - that Toyota decided to use themselves. The 1.0 litre, original 1/3 and 1.5 litre engines were shared between Toyota and Daihatsu - and of course are used in the Subaru Justy and Perodua Myvi (both of which are based on the Sirion).
Mazda were 31% owned by Ford. Ford then sold the majority of this stake to Mazda and Japanese banks, whilst retaining approx 13% of Mazda.
Mitsubishi have recently agreed with PSA some joint development of models - hence the PSA version of the Mitsubishi i MiEV

Edited by Auristocrat on 21/02/2010 at 13:54

Toyota own Daihatsu, and also bought General Motors' share in Subaru in late 2008. Their have been - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

What's the reply doing in the title of the post?
Toyota own Daihatsu, and also bought General Motors' share in Subaru in late 2008. Their have been - Rattle
It is a bug, the mods are aware of it.