What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - lucklesspedestrian
Hi there

I think I've decided to go down a more reliable/conventional route and abandon ideas of Fiat Cromas and Diesel Laguna tourers in favour of yet another Jap barge, this time a Mazda 6.

I've found a 2005 post-facelift 1.8 TS nearby on 47K which I should be able to get for about five and a half grand (need to check up on the service history first).

Is there anything specific I should watch out for on this model? Most of the problems I can find online mention clutch/flywheel probs in the diesels. A few cars seem to have been affected by rust so obviously I'll have a good look around.

Also, if anyone has any experience of real world mpg I'd be interested to hear. My daily 50 mile commute is mostly sub 70 dual carriageway so I'd hope for high 30's??

cheers!

Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - johncyprus
Great car. I bought my 2006 1.8 Mazda 6 hatchback two months ago and after 1500 miles I'm very impressed. Before the Mazda I'd had a Volvo V70 turbo and a Nissan QX3.0 both autos,and the Mazda is so much more enjoyable to drive. It has a very willing engine with a lovely gearbox with useful engine braking, so much more involving than driving an auto. Great brakes, very good load area in the back which will take my full size bicycle. I really can't fault it, so much more interesting than a 2007 Mondeo I drove. This evening I filled up and brim to brim I got 39 mpg but I drive it symathetically and don't do any journeys of less than 5 miles. Interestingly, my wife who usually finds faults with my cars loves the Mazda, especially the ride and the supportive seats.
Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - scouseford
I bought a 2004 version last October and I am absolutely delighted with it. I've always been a Ford man in the past (hence 'Scouseford') but the Mazda beats the equivalent Mondeo in my opinion.

The one department that has slightly disappointed me though is fuel consumption. I'm a light footed driver and got between 39 and 41 from my 2.0 litre Mondeo but I'm only getting mid thirties in the Mazda.

You won't be disappointed with the Mazda if you can accept its slight thirst.
Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - jacks
I've got a 2.0TS manual 2007 model, it's done 54000 miles and absolutely nothing has gone wrong, still on original pads etc.
Big,comfortable, quick steering and good handling. Good on the motorway.
Huge amount of room with the (easily folded - one lever) rear seats down

I get 34/35 on a motorway run cruising at 70-80. At other times I'm on local B roads with a mix of journeys ranging from 5 to 15 miles - the '6 then does around 31. Using shell v power doesn't make a difference.

The 1.8 has to pull the same weight around and I doubt it will be any more economical.

The 6 is a very good car, the fuel economy is acceptable but not it's strong point - it is a big car.

With regard to the service history - It's all entered and held on the Mazda dealer system and there is no "service book" as such so don't be alarmed if there is nothing in the glovebox. The dealer can print off a digital record showing the service dates, mileages and work done .

The service interval is 12500m. They don't do longlife!

My car is on lease and the dealer doesn't print off a copy unless I specifically ask for it, which I always do - but if the car you are looking at is an ex-company car the driver may not have bothered.
You can call any Mazda dealer with the Reg. no and they can confirm and/or print off the record.

Jacks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/02/2010 at 01:05

Thanks a lot for the replies. Looking forward to it even more now.

I'll post back with impressions (Frank Spencer, George W Bush etc) once I've actually got the thing

cheers!
Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - turbo11
Before my current new Mazda 5 I ran a new Mazda6 2.0 TS2 for five years(85,000 miles).Tyre wear was good.rotating the tyres, I got 35,000 miles from both sets. I regularly acheived 36-38mpg on my long constant throttle,light traffic daily commute and with V-power the increase took me over 40mpg on a number of tankfulls. Consumed negligible oil.Check rear arches for rusty stone chips and front suspension top mounts for corrosion.Check for clutch judder when warm. Hope you enjoy. If it wasn't for my expanding family, I would never have sold my mazda 6.Very reliable just like my wife's Mazda3.
Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - Clk Sec
Not much to add to the glowing testaments above, but I've owned my petrol version for seven and a half years and am as happy with it now as I was on day one.

You've made an excellent choice.

Clk Sec

Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - Carol_pdw

This is a great car, i fell in love with it, got my 2004 model 3 years ago with 50000miles on it and ive clocked her up to 110000 miles with zero problems besides normal servicing, most reliable car ive ever had, usually would trade in after 3 years but think i will keep her as she has been so good. Definately a good buy.

Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - Avant

This is another helpful thread in praise of Japanese petrol cars - I hope the OP will come back at some point and tell us how he's getting on.

I can't help wondering if the Japanese still have some way to go with their diesel engines to match the unburstability of the petrols. Most of the current horror stories are about Mazda 6s, but there have been others.

This is another helpful thread in praise of Japanese petrol cars - I hope the OP will come back at some point and tell us how he's getting on.

I can't help wondering if the Japanese still have some way to go with their diesel engines to match the unburstability of the petrols. Most of the current horror stories are about Mazda 6s, but there have been others.

Ahhh…old thread come back to haunt me!

Feel slightly guilty to report that I had a last minute change of heart and decided to forego the pleasures (and expense) of a new car and instead invest £250 on new brakes and a couple of suspension bushes for the venerable ’98 Camry.

I have to say I’m glad I did because it drives as well as any of the newer cars I test drove (inc the Mazda 6). I recently chalked up 1200 miles driving from Perth-Manchester-Stoke-Southwold-Haltwhistle-Edinburgh (heartily recommend the A68 as a fun roller coaster of a road!) and back to Perth in just 5 days and the car was a perfect companion never missing a beat.

Agree with Avant’s comments about Jap petrols. The 2.2 in the Camry is still as sweetas a nut at 155K and only uses about 0.5L 10W40 every 1K or so which is no biggie!

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 27/04/2010 at 23:39

Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - Avant

Thanks for coming back on this - sounds as if you did the right thing. Well worth keeping unless / until something major goes wrong, which it quite possibly won't for some time. I think the Camry was underestimated, especially by road testers, who can never quite understand that some people actually want a big relaxing family car rather than a taut BMW or highly-strung sports coupe.

Glad to find a fellow-fan of the A68 - my favourite road to Scotland. I love going north, with the bleakness of the Co. Durham moors followed by the rolling hills of Northumberland, than up into the Cheviots and over Carter Bar and into Scotland.

Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - eustace

Hi,

Any further updates on this car? How are you finding the fuel consumption? Any issues with rust?

Hi,

Any further updates on this car? How are you finding the fuel consumption? Any issues with rust?

I think you might be under the misapprehension that I went ahead and bought the Mazda 6?

I didn't, ( see a couple of posts back) I stuck with the 1997 Camry which incidentally is completely rust free and returns about 33mpg

Mazda 6 1.8 TS - Think I've settled on a Mazda 6 - eustace

oops, sorry for that. A couple of posts back you mentioed that you bought a focus. What happened to that? I was thinking of going for either an avensis or mazda 6. Leaning towards an avensis, due to rust stories regarding the mazda.

Best Regards

Edited by rohann on 17/06/2010 at 23:06

oops, sorry for that. A couple of posts back you mentioed that you bought a focus. What happened to that? I was thinking of going for either an avensis or mazda 6. Leaning towards an avensis, due to rust stories regarding the mazda.

Best Regards

Focus is ticking along nicely (it's the wife's car). Only downside is some road noise but I did fit some sound insulation material in the boot and around the rear wheel arches which has helped. The tyres are due for replacement soon so I will look at reviews for the quietest ones I can find to see if that helps still further.

The 1.6 VTi engine loves to rev and gives the car some oomph when needed but unfortunately the mpg rarely gets over 35mpg (relatively short runs). It is one of the best cars I've driven on twisty roads though and there's a decent amount of room in the back also. It's now 5 years old and no rust!

Edited by lucklesspedestrian on 17/06/2010 at 23:48