How to make long commute interesting? - movilogo
A recent change in job required me to spend 3 hours on road each day! (mostly M1 + A406)

Now I'm wondering how to make the journey intersting and do something useful while I'm on car.

So far I have tried listening to music but all my music collection exhausted.

Tried radio channels - got bored listening same songs and same news over & over again!

Tried audio books, but sometimes lost track what happens in the story while concentrating on roads.

Any other ideas??

PS: In case you suggest using train instead, I discarded the idea as it was more expensive in train and overall journey time remains unchanged.
How to make long commute interesting? - perro
You could pick up a Linguaphone CD course on ebay and learn a foreign language or practise the one you learnt at skool.
How to make long commute interesting? - CraigP
Buy a Dictaphone and some speech recognition software. Type (talk) emails while you drive. Plug in the dictaphone to microphone port on computer, then go play pool in the breakout area in the office while your dictaphone writes your emails.

If anyone asks, put on your best waffle face and call it timeshifting. Then do your best shocked face and ask "you don't do timeshifting yet?!" haha
How to make long commute interesting? - b308
I'd rather you concentrated on the driving than trying to work!

Seriously, I'd move closer... though I've no doubt you have already discarded that!
How to make long commute interesting? - maz64
PS: In case you suggest using train instead I discarded the idea as it was
more expensive in train and overall journey time remains unchanged.

Fair enough. but can you work on the train? I do, and it's amazing how quickly an hour passes. Or I can just nod off. (But it works out cheaper for me anyway.)
How to make long commute interesting? - daveyjp
Have you considered podcasts? Lots out there and most of radio 4 programmes are available. Set up a series link and your ipod is updated automatically.

I have a friend who does this - his commute is about 45 minutes and a couple of podcasts are just about right.
How to make long commute interesting? - Altea Ego
If I had three hours a day on the M1 and the North Circular road, every day, I would spend my time
a: wondering how my life came to this
b: Thinking of ways out of this
c: contemplatring ingenious ways I could end my life.
How to make long commute interesting? - Armstrong Sid
I've never had a very long commute to anywhere I've been working, but experience has taught me that the more frequently I do a long journey, the shorter it seems to get.

So before you start looking at all the potentially intellectual options, maybe after you've done the journey for a few weeks you'll find you don't notice the time, and you'll be there before you know it
How to make long commute interesting? - M.M
I'd go for finding a radio station where you like the presenter/music... there must be one. As others say 3hrs a day commuting is a waste of life.... but I know from own experience moving self and/or family isn't always the answer either.
How to make long commute interesting? - bintang
I found driving a lot more interesting after I passed my Institute of Advanced Motorists test and paid closer atention to the finer points of my driving, and that of others.
the more frequently I do a long journey, the shorter it seems to get.

Very true, first few days it looked like exploration, but now became tolerable :)
wondering how my life came to this

Got redundant from my earlier (nearer to home) job and didn't have much choice.
Also, most good paying jobs are in/around London. Actually a lot of people who work in London spend 3-4 hours everyday on road (car/bus/train etc.). Don't want to start how ludicrous house price (or even rent if you say) is in London. That's an economic chapter of its own :)
but can you work on the train?

Only if get a seat in train (First Capital Connect is notorious for its shoddy service. Some guys even run a website on this - www.ihatethameslink.co.uk/ )

The journey is not that bad. On a normal day (no lane closure, no accident etc.), M1 part is almost a breeze and then A406 (just 5 miles each way) is bit stop-start. But on few days, when there are traffic issues (2-3 days every month on average), journey becomes very frustrating.

Edited by Webmaster on 17/02/2010 at 18:45

How to make long commute interesting? - Altea Ego
> Actually a lot of people who work in London spend 3-4 hours everyday on road (car/bus/train etc.).

I have worked in London on and off for over thirty years.

To drive it takes me at least 90 minutes each way.

The fast train is 28 minutes.

Even bearing in mind that south west trains make thameslink look like Deutsche Bahn run by Hitler, the train won every time.
How to make long commute interesting? - b308
M, can you change your start/finish times to make it shorter?
The time I quoted (1.5 hr each way) is already adopting best time (to balance my commute and working hours with colleagues.
How to make long commute interesting? - stevied
On my drives home on a Friday (3 hours ish) I have a problem as my CD player has just packed up, so I set off at 6, listen to Radio 1 until 6.30 (by which time I am more than ready for a change) then switch to Radio 4 for the News Quiz. Then at 7, as I unfortunately can't get into The Archers, I switch back to Radio 1 or 2 depending on music, and for a few weeks I found an Elvis documentary thing on R2 which was quite good, but has now unfortunately finished. There was also a cracking play on R4 a while back based on the book Six Suspects by the same bloke who wrote the book Q and A which was turned into the film Slumdog Millionaire.... but again, this has now finished!

As the journey progresses, and if I am stuck with Radio 1, by the time I get to Birmingham I find Annie Mack is making my ears hurt: I am young enough to have a guilty liking for Drum n Bass but I can't cope with her voice as I just wish she would decide whether she is Irish or not..... anyway, I amuse myself by listening to the various wacky local stations: there are some great over the top religious stations, not to mention the various niche music stations for Birmingham's melting pot: Asian reggae Jamaican sitar crossover introduced with an unashamedly American tone of presentation, but with a thick West Bromwich accent? You will find it somewhere. As I leave the Midlands, it goes all rural and you get Radio Shropshire which is basically about the best growing conditions for lettuce, and an amusing 5 minutes can also be had listening to Radio Wales.

I usually resort to Radio Stoke by the end of my journey and by the time I get to Nantwich I am in tears: sometimes of laughter, sometimes of sorrow depending on what dedication Janeet from Tunstall wants to make for her feller Daz, she's sorry she made him hit her on Frarday nart lark and she wunna provoke heem again... you know the sort of thing I mean.

I really need to fix my CD player.

Mondays don't matter so much as I am too grumpy to even turn the radio on until I get to High Wycombe.
How to make long commute interesting? - Nsar
Movilogo, what is the difference in £ between the rail journey and the journey by car at 40p per mile (don't forget to factor in parking at your office if you pay for it now and parking at station if you were to do it by train?)

Then weigh up the mental wear and tear of 3 hours at the wheel each day.

If you took the train let's say an hour of the journey is spent getting to/from the train. 2hours x 200 working days. If you take 8 hours sleep out of it that's 25 days a year to spend reading, listening to music, daydreaming, planning how to get the boss' job.

Bargain!
How to make long commute interesting? - FotheringtonThomas
Isn't there enough going on around you as you travel that's of interest?
How to make long commute interesting? - OldSock
Despite the pecuniary advantages of working in London, you should seriously look at other ways to organise your life.

Several years ago, getting to work involved a three-hour (often more) round-trip along the A14 - one of the most congested roads in this area.

The combined physical/emotional drain probably contributed a great deal to a marriage breakdown - for which I am still paying, both in financial terms and in my relationship with my son.

Some things are more important than work. As the man said, few people on their death-bed have wished they'd spent more time at the office.....
How to make long commute interesting? - David Horn
Also have a guilty liking for Wotspur's game number 1.

I do two things to try to make the time pass:

1) I try to arrange my travel times to match with good radio shows (Radio 2 or 4, despite only being 24 I never was able to tolerate Radio 1). If you can drive slightly later Mark Radcliffe is excellent on R2.

2) Give audiobooks another try. The Harry Potter series (read by Steven Fry) is great, and not such heavy work that you lose the plot if you stop paying attention for a bit. Especially with seven books (last one runs about 24 hours), you'll keep going for a bit!

Finally, to those saying that listening to the radio / audiobooks is a safety risk. I'm slightly concerned that you feel your own situational awareness is impeded by minor distractions inside the car. If I need to pay more attention to the road, I mentally shut out the radio / conversation until the situation has passed. It's instinctive and automatic.

Bear in mind that we banned phone use but still legalise setting fire to things at the wheel, and try to aim your priorities in another direction.
How to make long commute interesting? - 1400ted
I guess it won't be long before a PC Shinybuttons captures someone smoking at the wheel and issues a Fixed Penalty similar to blowing your nose or eating a Kit Kat..

Ted
How to make long commute interesting? - Sofa Spud

1) Why not vary your route sometimes. Even if the alternative route takes a bit longer or is a more demanding drive, it gives an alternative impression of the way your home and work are connected. When I used to commute by car, for a while I used to use two routes, each for a week, in turn.

2) If you are able to, why not also use another car sometimes.

3) Find one or two places you can stop for a coffee, probably more suited to the return journey than the outward one.

4) See if you can find anyone who needs something (legal) to be transported between your two destinations on a regular basis and would pay you to do so. If you became an informal courier then your 6 hours could become work too!

5) You say that going by train isn't a practical alternative. But why not go by train just occasionally, for the sake of variety.

6) You could occasionally stay the night in the town where you work. That would eliminate 6 hours of travelling. Possibly you could combine that with your 'train days' so you go by train one day, stay the night and come home by train the next.

7) If your job, or part of it, is suitable for working from home, you could suggest to your boss that you could work at home from time to time

Edited by Sofa Spud on 16/03/2010 at 11:57

Nowadays I'm listening to audio books and that is good time pass (as well as informative).

I found management, popular ec***mics/science audio books are best - where chapters are short, informative and even if I miss little bit, interest doesn't diminish.

Story books are big no no. Due to their nature, even a slight lapse due to problemtic traffic can lead to lose the whole plot of the story.

I'm also trying to talk with friends and relatives while driving. These are very close people and aware that I'm driving. So, even abrupt disconnection/not responding to them doesn't matter. (but strictly no work related calls).

So not that bad really ;)

How to make long commute interesting? - bintang

I don't advise anything that can be a distraction from driving, either listening or talking. Learning a language has been mentioned several times above but, having qualified in six of them, I would say that the high level of concentration needed rules them out. I found driving a lot more interesting after I passed my IAM test and learned to try to extract every bit of information I can from the road and the actions of other drivers and to anticipate the coming situation.

How to make long commute interesting? - barneybear

I work 230 miles from home, but only drive once each way per week. During the week I "rent a room" for between £250 and £350/month. The 230 miles I cover in about 3.5 hours either M1 or A1 - which echo's some poples advice on route variation. You could check out "lift share" to see if someone else is making a simlar journey and share - that way you have someone to atlk with and share costs. I have combination of radio 2, radio 4 and smooth FM, choice CD's and an SD card with podcasts etc fitted to the sat nav. I also use the time to plan my weekends when heading home, or plan my work when heading away.

If the job is perm rather than temp I would seriously look at moving in due course. House prices have fallen generally, but a 5% drop on an expensive southern property is more than a 5% drop in a northern one :) You could always rent out your home and lease a pad down south for a year or two and see what job picks up later.

How to make long commute interesting? - Compo

I used to commute from Kent to Croydon, 1 hour each way, for 3 years. Mixture of country lanes, A roads and urban streets. I had a Ford Galaxy then, and I found the high driving position excellent, as I could look over the hedges at the countryside, which is always changing through the seasons. Also I found driving less stressfull, as I could see over other vehicles and anticipate problems and traffic situations. However, I developed tennis elbow, in one arm, which must have been caused by something in the steering or gearchange. It went as soon as I gave up the commute.

I tried all car sharing websites - just doesn't work. That's why we get so many single occupancy cars on road. It is very difficult to find someone whose work begins and finishes at very similar time!

In current economic market, even permanent jobs are of temporary in nature :(

Changing jobs (either own decision or companies' intention etc.) every year is not at all uncommon now. So, moving each year is out of question.

How to make long commute interesting? - Harleyman

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the most enjoyable(and time-saving) way of making your commute more interesting.

Buy a motorbike!

Edited by Harleyman on 19/03/2010 at 21:01