What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Busted springs - hillman
I called into my local, trusted, garage today and found the proprietor doing a general service on a P reg. Honda (quite ancient). He had replaced both of the front coil springs, one of which was broken at one end and the other broken at both ends. He said that although he replaces springs frequently, it is generally on European cars, particularly French.
The proprietor pointed out that the springs most commonly broke where the coils were rusty. He thought that the breakage was initiated by corrosion and that manufacturers are beginning to attempt to provide better protection.
Can NC comment on this and say whether a liberal coating of Waxoyl would help ?
Busted springs - SpamCan61 {P}
See comments here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=73059&...e
Busted springs - hillman
OK SpamCan, it looks like a liberal application of Waxoyl, renewed periodically, would help. My old Wolseley still has a thick layer of grease from the kingpin maintenance.
Busted springs - bell boy
the rust is probably already in the steel seeing as most are made in eastern europe and thats where all recycled scrap goes so i wouldnt bother unless it makes you feel better
now wrapping them up in a hession type material covered in grease might be a good idea