Long gone parts availability. - oilrag
You know how it is. Anything more substantial than an oil filter and it`s got to be ordered in. An exaggeration perhaps? Yes, but not much.

Contrast that situation, with our local BMC parts dept in the 60`s.

I was in regular contact with the affable bloke at the parts desk - in the massive dealership, in town. There was nothing at all that was not in the parts bins - however obscure.
The dealership was massive because the parts dept was massive. I bet 10 times bigger than current practice.

You could go into the old Ironmongers in the City too - and buy items like a brass oil tap (used on a Mini`s sump) not only that - but the assistant produced an ASSORTMENT of said taps.

You had the sense that these taps (late 60`s) had been there for years, perhaps decades - in a drawer - waiting. Also that it was the end of an era for such instant availability. You just felt it.
Something lost - and something gained then, if only financially in `last minute` parts deliveries.

Things were once there as you needed them.
It`s almost forgotten, that you could once go out and purchase everything you wanted - there and then. At least for a BMC Mini.

Edited by oilrag on 31/01/2010 at 07:35

Long gone parts availability. - Andrew-T
I was surprised to find that an obscure plastic 'manifold' for the cooling system on my Pug 205 was still 'on the shelf' a couple of months ago. Not everything has vanished it seems.

Maybe today's parts departments are the same size, but the 'parts' are a lot larger than they used to be? It's easier to replace large complicated things and charge more?
Long gone parts availability. - piston power
Now parts are sent over night from a warehouse no need to stock loads of parts that just end up sitting on the shelf it makes no sense and a waste of money.

With the internet parts can be sourced much easier than even 20 years ago never mind the 60's.

Service items, hoses & brake, steering, suspension small parts are in stock at most but the rest you order and pay a deposit which is fair.
Long gone parts availability. - b308
Only problem with the internet is that you can't "compare" parts like you could face to face, so if the part you are after has a few, very small but vital, variations you could end up with the wrong one!
Long gone parts availability. - martint123
Yup, I still remember wandering into my local BMC garage and getting a second gear cog and starter ring gear for an MGB off the shelf.
Long gone parts availability. - piston power
cog is found in a clock made from wood. a gear is what you mean.
Long gone parts availability. - zookeeper
cog....tooth like part of a gear wheel.....noun
Long gone parts availability. - martint123
I said cog because 'second gear gear wheel' looked and sounded wrong.
(I don't even know why bothered replying)

Edited by martint123 on 31/01/2010 at 15:57

Long gone parts availability. - Andrew-T
You could end up with the wrong one!

According to the local indie I go to (who orders needed parts from the nearest franchise) one is as likely to be sent the wrong part as the right one - despite years of experience of this and care in asking by full part number etc. When more parts are kept in a central warehouse (which makes sense for the franchises) there is a better chance of this happening.

A few years ago my 306 cabrio needed its (special) rear dampers replaced. Allegedly only one was available in the UK warehouse - because it was July and France was on holiday. So much for next-day availability.
Long gone parts availability. - L'escargot
In this day and age of JIT, keeping lots of spares isn't economic. Also, since the average lifespan of a car in the UK is 14 years, it's not economic to stock anything much older that that. BMC folded because of their outdated business practices.
Long gone parts availability. - primeradriver
Problem is as well that beyond a certain age, most people won't put money into an old car when it needs a part. This is in contrast to the older approach of "make do and mend".

My mechanic has given me a funny look before when I clear the fitting of a £150 part on a car worth £200 -- I'm in a vanishingly small minority who will keep an old car going. Most will keep the car, without fixing it, until it stops moving.

So the parts aren't commonly sold, and as a result aren't stocked.
Long gone parts availability. - dieselfitter
My first company car (a Ford) had several minor faults on delivery and was returned to the supplying dealer (the biggest Ford franchise in Nottinghamshire, with numerous branches) a few weeks later with a snagging list. It was returned at the end of the day with nothing fixed. Instead, there was a Parts Department 'With Compliments' slip on the passenger seat on which was written (in capital letters) "NO PARTS IN STOCK. ALL PARTS ON ORDER." I assumed this was a universal truth.