02 1.6 Rusty wheel arches - cotton
I understand this was a bit of a problem on this model, and that they put an 8 year warrenty on it. I have just bought the car and founf mine hasn;t has it fixed. I'm just inside the 8 years, but appartenly you have to own the car for a year before you can claim on the warrenty. Also you must have a full merc SH.

Is this true?? Anyone had any experiance of this??
02 1.6 Rusty wheel arches - Silver Arrow
We've just had our 2003 C230K repaired with 4 rusty wheel arches. There is a 30 year anti-corrosion guarantee on Mercs, but MB UK will try and wriggle out of it because rust is such a problem on their 1998-2004 cars. As I understand it, the guarantee only apples to rust right through from the inside, and only if the car has been serviced by an MB Dealer when more than 5 years old. If the rust is not right through, MB may repair it as a 'goodwill' gesture up to 8 years old, but may try and get out of this by saying the rust should have been treated earlier. I'm not sure about the 1 year rule: I can't see this in the terms and conditions. I suggest you go immediately to an MB Dealer - it costs nothing to try and claim on the warranty.
02 1.6 Rusty wheel arches - Roly93
Its very easy for the manufacturers to offer a long term rust warranty as there are a million ways to wriggle out of it. The main one would be servicing at main dealer for the marque and a bodywork inspection being done at that time.

To be honest, a huge number of cars over 4 years old are no longer main dealer serviced, so that is their 'get out of jail' card.

For cars that are serviced at the dealers for 7 years they have made tons of money anyway, so the odd warranty claim isnt too bad.

I have had a variety of new German cars in the last 10 years, and from what I have read, unless you can comply with the above and can prove that the rust penetrated from the inside out, and that the paintwork was in now way compromised by a chip or scratch it may be tough to claim, but I wish you the very best of luck.