What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Most common tyre sizes - tyro
I've been thinking about stunorthants26's thread on tyres, (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=81968) and reflecting on the fact that Michelin apparently don't make any 155/65T13 tyres.

Clearly, some tyre sizes are a lot more common than others, and if your car uses one of the more common sizes, then you are going to have more choice when you come to replace your tyres.

So, since I have this insatiable thirst for obscure information, has anyone any idea where I might a list of the top 20 tyre sizes?

And presumably it changes over the course of time, and varies from country to country - so what about comparative lists for 5 or 10 years ago, and for, say, the USA, Germany, and France?
Most common tyre sizes - slowdown avenue
wouldn't it be good if all car manufactures used the same size wheels. and regular tyre sizes . would help recycling, obtaining youir own spare tyre, instead of space savers.
Most common tyre sizes - gordonbennet
There's more tyre sizes now than you can shake a stick at and quite frankly it's getting ridiculous, even trucks have gone the same way.

When i were a lad and learned the tyre repair game many moons ago there were about half a dozen popular sizes.
145x10 145 x 12 155x13 165 x 13 155 x 14 185 x 14 some oddball stuff mainly fitted to Citroens and the like, but those 6 and a few others you could retyre 95% of the cars on the road.

Funny thing we managed to keep our cars out of the ditch without 255 section low profile's and traction systems, and get through the snow.
Most common tyre sizes - bell boy
quite correct gb
Most common tyre sizes - idle_chatterer
Yes - tyres are getting fatter.....

20 years ago is was 165x13s, moved to 185x14s in the '90s and then up to 205x16s in the noughties with many more 225x17s appearing now too I'd observe ?

Most common tyre sizes - L'escargot
Yes - tyres are getting fatter.....

Perhaps it's to cope with the fact that drivers and passengers are getting fatter!
Most common tyre sizes - Cliff Pope
>>
When i were a lad and learned the tyre repair game many moons ago there
were about half a dozen popular sizes.
145x10 145 x 12 155x13 165 x 13 155 x 14 185 x 14 >>

New fangled sizes! I grew up on 6.00 X 16, 7.50 X 16, 5.60 X 15 etc.
Most common tyre sizes - daveyjp
Linking back to my online tyre buying thread, apart from cost the other reason I did buy online was due to it being the easiest way of getting what I actually needed, rather than what the outfits I tried wanted to sell me.

The size is the easy part, when you the throw in speed and load ratings the number of tyres available can reduce dramatically.

Mine are 91Y which isn't such a common rating therefore outlets try to fob you off with 91 or 94W as these are the ones they are more likely to have in stock.
Most common tyre sizes - Hamsafar
I have just returned from Iran, where there are about 5 sizes of tyre for the 5 types of car, Saba Saipa (Kia Pride Saloon), Iran Khodra Pars (Peugeot 405), Paykan (Hillman Hunter), Hyundai Sonata, Peugeot 206. All the small one-bay garages carry these tyres. Also, most cars run on CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) which is 6p a litre and compressed on demand from mains gas at the filling station. Petrol is 9p. I don't know why they doth protest so much.

Edited by Hamsafar on 21/01/2010 at 10:29

Most common tyre sizes - Bill Payer
I don't know why they doth protest so much.

There's no pleasing some people. :)
New fangled sizes! I grew up on 6.00 X 16 7.50 X 16 5.60 X
15 etc.

Luckily i'm only a boy but me dad told me about t'old stuff..;)

but done me share of 520x10 560x 13 670x14 too

only 3 normal truck sizes then 900x20 1000x20 and 1100x20 with split rim wheels, non of them new fangled tubeless things.
Most common tyre sizes - Bill Payer
Funny thing we managed to keep our cars out of the ditch without 255 section
low profile's and traction systems and get through the snow.

Hmm..not so sure about that! Had quite a few "incidents", especially in 2 of the cars both of which had Michelin X, I think 165x13. Compared to any current tyre they were just lethal.
Hmm..not so sure about that! Had quite a few "incidents" especially in 2 of the
cars both of which had Michelin X I think 165x13.

You are so right BP, Mich X's were terrifying in the wet and ZX's not much better, couldn't wear them out though.

Had a set on a Ventora, frightening..but we learned to drive and control the car by feel, and observe/respect the road surface..something modern drivers don't do.

I swapped them for a set of the then new Goodyear Unisteel, the car was transformed.
Most common tyre sizes - piston power
205 55 16 h rated these are fitted to a wide range like ford vauxhall renault etc

Remember the day when 185/60/13 for the xr2

185/60/14 for the xr3i gti & sri these were extremly popular & 195/60 14 for the cavalier sierra, fleet cars.

These cars handled just fine but these days we have to have 16 17 18" wheels it's crazy.!