What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Buying tyres online - my experience - daveyjp
For anyone considering buying tyres online I've just used Camskill and service was excellent. Ordered at lunchtime yesterday and they arrived 24 hours later.

They were over £10 a tyre cheaper than anyone else I tried.
Buying tyres online - my experience - paul2007
cheers 4 that.

i nearly always use home tyre fit, or buy and fit at selected garage on my cars and that of my other half and same for my son's x5 - they all appear to provide an A1 service & cheaper by miles than the highstreet suppliers.

many years ago when I had my mondeo st - bought via blackcircles, fitted a a well known tyre service centre to near where we leive and tyre fitters themselves stated that even as staff they would not have got the tyres for the price i did
Buying tyres online - my experience - gordonbennet
I've just used Camskill and service was excellent. Ordered
at lunchtime yesterday and they arrived 24 hours later.

Seconded, i've also had equally good service from Mytyres who took about 3 days to get my winter tyres delivered from Germany late summer.

I've bought several times from both and never had a problem.

Found a local small mobile tyre fitting company who take care and charge reasonably too, i used to use a good local indy tyre supplier who would nearly match the net prices but the foreman/manager seems to have left and my three recent inquiries have not since been followed up...pity.
Buying tyres online - my experience - DP
I bought the Volvo's P6000's through Blackcircles and had a great experience. 4 P6000's delivered, fitted, and balanced, and with all the usual guarantees, for £260! The only issue was the fitting centre made a pig's ear of the tracking, but that was paid for separately by me on the day, and nothing to do with Blackcircles.

I've never understood people who stand for the 'three figures per corner' prices charged to walk in customers of the High Street outlets.
Buying tyres online - my experience - CGNorwich
"I've never understood people who stand for the 'three figures per corner' prices charged to walk in customers of the High Street outlets. "

Well I've just bought two Bridgestone ER 300s from STS Tyre Pros and they were £4 per tyre cheaper than the Blackcircles fitted price. The experience was first class - It took 30 mins from when I walked through the door. I waited in a pleasant warm waiting room and was given a cup of coffee and a paper to read while I waited. Was given a satisfaction survey to complete for completion of which was sent a £5 voucher off next purchase.

It not always cheaper buying online and it often a lot less convenient
Buying tyres online - my experience - smokie
I can't see how having tyres fitted at home is less convenient than dragging onesself to a grubby tyre fitters and waiting in the cold for up to an hour. Then there's the cost of the fuel to get there, and the notional cost of the time.

I would pay a small premium for the convenience of internet purchasing and home fitting...although all purchases to date have been cheaper. Still, each to his own!
Buying tyres online - my experience - seasiders rock
I agree, online is the only way to go. Found a decent seller on that well known auction site, 4 Toyo 195 45 R15 T1R Proxes delivered for £155.
Even with fitting costs it was cheaper than the high street.
Buying tyres online - my experience - CraigP
I buy my tyres online, never any issues.

What if it went wrong though? They sent the wrong tyres? Wrong size? A tyre was damaged?

That last one could be a real headache to sort. Especially if delivered to a local garaged on a fully fitted price. Who owes you the new tyre? Probably technically the garage who accepted custodianship of them without checking the tyres over.

I severely doubt they're going to see it that way with only £5 a corner fitting fee in it for them!
Buying tyres online - my experience - ForumNeedsModerating
I can't see how having tyres fitted at home is less convenient than dragging onesself.. etc.

Well, if you don't mind any Tom, Dick or Harry turning up & poking around I suppose & don't mind the staying in.

There's also the issue of being able to locate the fitter in the event of a problem - the tyre shop doesn't move around like the mobile chappy.
Buying tyres online - my experience - Roly93
I can't see how having tyres fitted at home is less convenient than dragging onesself..
etc.
Well if you don't mind any Tom Dick or Harry turning up & poking around
I suppose & don't mind the staying in.
There's also the issue of being able to locate the fitter in the event of
a problem - the tyre shop doesn't move around like the mobile chappy.

>>
I avoid mobile fitters as a matter of course, every time I got my company car tyres done by a mobile guy the wheel balance was wrong. My theory is that lugging the balancing machine around in a van isn't good for its calibration.
Buying tyres online - my experience - L'escargot
I can't see how having tyres fitted at home is less convenient than dragging onesself
to a grubby tyre fitters and waiting in the cold for up to an hour.
Then there's the cost of the fuel to get there and the notional cost of
the time.

I get new tyres from my local franchised dealer. I drive the car there, then they drive me home and deliver the car back to my house when the car's got the new tyres, Their price is as good as places like HiQ etc.
I get new tyres from my local franchised dealer. I drive the car there then
they drive me home and deliver the car back to my house when the car's
got the new tyres Their price is as good as places like HiQ etc.

The lease company who owned my Focus would not authorise tyre replacement by main dealers at service time because of the uncompetitive pricing. When our Scenic needed new tyres, the Renault dealer quoted almost twice the price we ended up paying. I would shop around, L'escargot. You could probably save yourself a fortune.

Unless you live very close to the dealer, it probably takes longer to drive you home and subsequently deliver your car than it does to fit the tyres. You are without your car for longer than the 15-20 minutes you would be if you took a newspaper with you and waited. Seems another indicator they are making quite a lot out of the deal.

I would shop around
L'escargot. You could probably save yourself a fortune.

As I said, their price is as good as places like HiQ etc.
Unless you live very close to the dealer it probably takes longer to drive you
home and subsequently deliver your car than it does to fit the tyres.

I live 2 miles away. They're a small family owned dealership and they rate repeat custom higher than absolute profit.
I would shop around
L'escargot. You could probably save yourself a fortune.

I get 25,000 miles out of my front tyres and 50,000 miles out of my rears. At 10,000 miles per year that means I buy 6 tyres every 5 years. The last time I paid £70 each (including new valve and fitting at my Ford dealer) for Goodyear Eagle NCT5 195/60R15 88V tyres, which works out at £84 per year. At that rate I couldn't save "a fortune", even if I got them elsewhere for nothing!
Tyres are a very minor part of my total motoring costs. At the current price of £1.13/litre, fuel costs me £1285/year.
Each to their own.
Each to their own.

That's too cryptic for me to know what you mean.
Nothing cryptic intended. Just that I would still shop around, and be confident I could beat dealer prices for tyres. You have a relationship with your dealer and don't think its worth doing. Each to their own. Vive la difference! :-)
Buying tyres online - my experience - Marc
That's similar mileage to what I get out of my NCT5s L'escargot (30k fronts and 45k rears)

What car do you have them fitted to?
That's similar mileage to what I get out of my NCT5s L'escargot (30k fronts and
45k rears)
What car do you have them fitted to?

2003 2 litre petrol Focus Ghia.

I agree, but if you walk in or call most of the big tyre fitters, many of them will stiff you for 30% more than even they themselves will charge you for an online booking, never mind what their internet competition can offer.

I'm going to try e-tyres next. Very competitive and they will come to my place of work and fit the tyres in the car park. I've also got a further 10% off valid til December. My work colleagues speak highly of them.
Buying tyres online - my experience - NARU
Just checked etyres for my car - £13 a tyres more expensive than the franchised dealer!
Buying tyres online - my experience - perro
All 4 tyres on my Almera are well worn and should have been replaced in the Autumn, but the long range weather forecast was for a mild winter :)
So, I checked out all the tyres available for my car inc. Bridges & Conti's etc., etc. but I decided on Falken Ziex ZE-912 from Black Circles @ £52 per corner.
They are being fitted this Friday at a very good garage that I have had good service from on previous occasions.
I know there are better tyres out there and all that, but diesel do me 4 now.
Buying tyres online - my experience - Brian Tryzers
I checked the prices on a couple of sites, including Black Circles, of Michelins like the pair I had supplied and fitted last week by my local independent. Once I'd costed in delivery and allowed something for fitting - ignoring, for the moment, the hassle factor of having to deal with the delivery company myself - the saving would have been less than £10 a tyre. For that, I'd rather continue to support a friendly, honest and helpful independent, who's there when I need him and who I know will do a good job.
Buying tyres online - my experience - CGNorwich

Of course it always pays to know what the opposition are charging - Most Co's will usually match the price. That's just the way business works I'm afraid, not just tyre dealers.
Buying tyres online - my experience - Brian Tryzers
Agreed, CG - and I always check a couple of the chains for prices before I ring my independent. But so far, I've never felt the need to challenge him on price.
Buying tyres online - my experience - Mapmaker
I have heard the reliability of van-mounted wheel-balancing machinery questioned. It is apparently not so robust as the floor mounted machinery a tyre shop will have.
Buying tyres online - my experience - Andy P
I've used Event Mobile the last four times I've needed new tyres, three times for the Accord and one for the BMW. On two occasions they came the same day as I phoned, and not once have I had problems with wheel balance. They're almost always cheaper than any of the local fitters and will almost certainly continue to use them in future.
Buying tyres online - my experience - ifithelps
Some franchises now have their own 'fast-fit' operations, so gone are the days of the main dealer being twice the price for tyres.

Ford has Rapid Fit and Renault has their version.

I'm sure there will be others.

Buying tyres online - my experience - paul2007
Seconded.
i could not recall the tyre co's name.
They fitted tyres to my wifes car a few months back - conti sports contact 2. organsed via internet 2/3 days earlier for a saturday fit at 10;15 at our home 9thy are prepared to do home/office visits0 and the guy rany about 30 mins before he arrived. he arrived on time - very curteous, and changed 2 tyres and had wheels balanced with hidden weights as agreed, all done within 30 mins = 10/10

Free tip = there are several big players out there that home fit or you select a local-ish fit centre - check prices on net and imo, you will be better off than the big high street nationals.

your choice

btw - any good tips for 4x4 tyres, home fit/etc/ Camskill appear to be the best.

You may be right however it depends on what part of the country you live in. Here in Reading there is no tyre dealer I know of that would be competitive to the best online price.

I tried once to use a local dealer who said on the phone that he would match the 'fitted' price of Valuetyres.co.uk. I got the tyres fitted, went to pay the bill and it was about £20 more. When I challenged this they said the extra money was for valves and balancing, and the price they had quoted was just for fitting the tyre !!

Okay I hadn't been super-specific with them and actually mentioned the words 'valves and balancing' but this was very sharp practice indeed, and left me guaranteeing that I would never darken their door again.
Buying tyres online - my experience - Marc
If you're prepared to drive to Newbury Roly, try Newbury Tyres and Exhaust.

Their all inclusive prices pretty much match the mytyres delivered prices. They can get most tyres next day if not stocked. I have used them for the last 10 years with no problems.
Thanks I might give them a try..
Buying tyres online - my experience - David Villa
I recently ordered winter tyres from mytyres.co.uk as I had tried lots of places with no luck ordering them.

I had never used on-line suppliers but I was really impressed with the service.Despite the snow(this was about 10 days ago) they arrived from their warehouse in Germany to my front door in 3 days(parcel tracking showed the tyres' progress).

I then got the local tyre place to mount them on spare rims for £20.

The tyres cost £42 each but it is hard to compare as they are not widely available in this country.

As others have said,it is worth ringing around to get the best deal when looking for tyres normally.Then go with who you trust/best price or see if somewhere you particularly want to use will price match.
Buying tyres online - my experience - nortones2
Also bought four tyres from mytyres - delivered from Hanover in 5 days. I wanted spare steel rims to fit them to, but could only find Honda OEM locally (at £60 a corner) which I declined. Any good sources known?
Buying tyres online - my experience - WorkshopTech
We sell tyres so I took a look at mytyres for price comparison. On some of the popular sizes like 195/50/15 we could beat them (allowing £8/corner for fitting balanacing and valve). On other tyres they are very cheap. They can supply Vrede Snowtrack at less than we can buy them from our wholesaler.
Buying tyres online - my experience - mustangman
I used Event tyres a few months ago to fit 2 Falkan's on SWMBO's Eos.
Painless online, good price, fitted at home at the time stated.
I was asked to check the alloys for damage before paying.
Impressed - I would use them again. ( No subsequent balance probs.)
Buying tyres online - my experience - Snakey
I'd second the recommendation for Camskill. Ordered tyres from them and they were here next day. Good prices and good range as well.

Only thing is now I've found a local tyre fitter who basically charges what Camskill do plus around £10 including fitting/balancing etc so theres little point in me ordering them and then taking them along to get fitted for £10 each!
Buying tyres online - my experience - Dynamic Dave
Whenever I've shopped round for tyres on-line, blackcirles aways comes back with higher quotes than anyone else.

Thumbs up for Camskill & Mytyres though. Have used both companies in the past with no problems and good prices.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/01/2010 at 13:38

Buying tyres online - my experience - quizman
I always get several quotes when buying tyres.
The most expensive are the large fast fit places.
The cheapest are local independents. In Derby there are 3 firms that I know will beat any online firm by quite alot.
Costco make me laugh, they quoted £239 each for 2 Michelin Pilot Sport2s. I got them for £181.92 from an independent. Not a bad saving.
I have looked at all the online firms mentioned and none can get near the prices of my local tyre place, whose owner used to post on this site.
Buying tyres online - my experience - M.M
My local independent garage tyre bay is usually about the same as online with the advantage of personal contact. They only fall down for me sometimes when I want a specific tyre they can't get hold of.

It's happened this week when I wanted a just discontinued Michelin which I've ordered from mytyres. They are £57.50 delivered but had I been happy with the current Michelin my indy could have supplied/fitted/balanced for £60. Mytyres are £62 for the current Michelin fully fitted so the indy is cheaper overall this time.
Buying tyres online - my experience - piston power
An old work collegue works for Kwif-fit as the manager i took the works van in for 2x new front tyres on a national account and the place was dead we got talking and he says folk are buying on line now to save cash even this company offers a better service than in the depot!

Buy mine from blackcircle & have used mytyres but will try the above company always pays to shop around.

They did used to get there big till sales from fleet car customers he said but thats all changed and they get £1.00 per tyre now so all sales have to come from joe public no wonder they looked fed up the bonus must be a bit poor.!
Well my online order a couple of posts above proved why online isn't always best. Waited 5 days with no contact then when I chase I'm told matter of factly they never had any... why the hell don't they mail/phone to say? To me that's not a one off blip it's rubbish service. I'll not get my tyres from there again.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/01/2010 at 13:27

Buying tyres online - my experience - Clk Sec
Was that the easiest edit so far this year, DD?
Blooming keyboard...
Buying tyres online - my experience - Dynamic Dave
Was that the easiest edit so far this year DD?

;o)
Buying tyres online - my experience - car_maniac

What I do like about tyre online stores, particularly about riepas store, that stores like that one has a lot of tyres to choose instead of car services or regular stores where you can choose only what they have at the moment. But in online store you can choose what you want.

You can always choose the latest tyre model in the web store and I would say, that mostly in online prices are cheaper, but you can argue with that.

Buying tyres online - my experience - Andrew-T

Anyone want to buy tyres from Latvia ?

Buying tyres online - my experience - badbusdriver

Anyone want to buy tyres from Latvia ?

Well i did buy a set of tyres off Ebay a few years ago, the seller was in Italy. So no problem for me buying from Latvia, assuming the seller/website is legit. Unfortunately, this looks anything but!.

Buying tyres online - my experience - gordonbennet

I get tyres sent from Germany and Poland as well as locally, the only issue so far was one from the German warehouse of a the set of 4 was the wrong size, they sorted this straight away (it wasn't an issue i buy well in advance), unfortunately the courier company never delivered the wrong one back to them so they ended up claiming from the courier for the lost tyre via the proof of pick up which i forwarded to the tyre supplier.

The reason i buy online is choice, and being able to find what i want at the right price rather than what the tyre bay wants me to buy, being able to bide ones time for bargains saves lots of money, saved around £25 (correction £32) per tyre on the set on the Forester compared with current prices.

Buying tyres online - my experience - Terry W

The cost of tyres are a trivial motoring cost. A full set every (say) 3 years will cost £200-400 for most cars - £70-130 pa. Not much different to a basic car wash once or twice a month.

Fuel is about £1500 pa, depreciation on a new/newish vehicle is £1500 - 4000 pa, servicing and minor replacements £250-500 pa.

The main problem I find with tyre purchase is what to buy - reviews can often leave you with a choice of 10 best buys with minimal differences (noise, rolling resistance, wear rates etc) between them. Best option seems to be (a) go for quality maker rather than ditchfinders, (b) short-list two specific tyres, (c) buy the best offer available at the time, (d) go for minimum hassle, not just lowest price