02 1.6 High idle and creeping revs - Kye
Hello all, hopefully you might be able to help me

I have a 52 plate (registered as 03 on the documentation)1.6 Zetec Focus that had a couple of problems that may or may not be linked.

The first problem I have is the idle is about 1200rpm, rather than the specified 700 rpm. I?ve had it looked at by a garage that said they found the problem rectified it, for a while, then it
Went back to staying at around 1200 rpm again. Would it be fair to assume that the idle valve may need replacing? I have taken it off and given it a clean, to no affect.

The other problem I have is that if I am driving with the engine running below 2000 revs per minute, and I take my foot off of the throttle and press down on the clutch, the revs go up to 2000 rpm and stay there until the car is at walking pace. Then the revs will drop down to idle of 1200rpm. This will happen at any speed provided the engine is below 2000 rpm. It?s a bit annoying when in first and I?m creeping along in traffic as the revs pick up, the car starts to accelerate under it?s own power, the revs then increase as the speed increases and so on. It?s not doing my fuel or brakes any good.

If I am running the engine about 2000 rpm and drop the clutch and take off the throttle, the revs will drop down to, and stay at 2000 rpm.

Whether the engine is hot or cold, it still does the above.

Engine braking does not seem to be effective either with this fault. It?s clearly a sensor problem, does anyone know what it could be? TPS perhaps?

I have heard of 'resonance' as well. Could this be a possibility as well?

Many thanks for your time

Kye
02 1.6 High idle and creeping revs - Carl2
Still sounds like idle control valve to me.I imagine the garage cleaned it. I,ve never been able to clean one to a satisfactory standard. At this age I,d be expecting it go sooner or later. I think of these as a service item along with leads /water pump. I,m quite happy to chuck such items in the bin rather than wait for a problem. After the idle valve the next item to be on borrowed time would probably be the throttle potentiometer. These items are cheap to buy and easy to change.