Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Happy Blue!
After using two cars to get the family and friends to the same destination twice this weekend, I decided I should have a seven seater car. Something with the same power and driveability as my Outback and all the same toys, but a bit newer and slightly larger.

I have never sat in a Tribeca but know that it is the same mechanically as my Outback. Reports are that it is remarkably uneconomical, not quite as spacious as it ought to be, but it is also a large car for the money with a pretty good range of goodies.

As an example, I can buy an April 2007 model with just 16,000 miles for just under £16,000.

However I got thinking about alternatives. Without spending fortunes on BMW X5s or Audi Q7s, I had a quick look on Autotrader and came up with some very well specified Ford S-Maxs with the Volvo T5 engine. The only downside is a manual gearbox, but the upside is more space than a Tribeca, economy no worse than my Outback, presumably great performance and some are dripping in features. Not quite the same bargain as a Tribeca but not too far short.

I suspect the S-Max will be the better drive of the two and 4WD is not vital.

Which one would you go for and why?

Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Altea Ego
The Tribeca is without doubt truly ugly,

S-Max.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - cheddar
The S-Max 2.5T has the same engine as my Focus ST, 5ps down in the S-Max due to the exhaust though even more refined, very characterful and the S-Max really handles so a great car to drive no doubt.

The only down side is the Focus rarely does much more than 30mpg so the heavier S-Max would probably average under 30.

>>Which one would you go for and why?>>

The S-Max because it would be the more entertaining drive.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Avant
I've never knowingly seen a Tribeca on the road. Interestingly it featured in last week's Autocar feature by Richard Bremner on his choice of worst cars of the decade.

Apparently they sold only 746 in total, so parts might be hard to come by in the medium term.

No doubt you'll try both, but from the write-ups I've seen, the S-Max will be much the better to drive. I believe it's thirsty on petrol, but if you're going to do a high mileage the diesel is good too.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Happy Blue!
To an extent economy is irrelevant as I do only 9,000 miles each year. However at a likely 17 mpg and a 64 litre tank, I will be living in the petrol station. If I can acheive 22 mpg from an S-Max it will be an improvement.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - tyro
I seem to recall seeing surveys indicating that the S-Max had reliability problems.

I know that it didn't do well in the 2009 JD Power survey.

tinyurl.com/y9otrnt

I see that in the AutoExpress Driver Power survey 2008, the S-Max came 75th out of 100 for reliability, and 77th for quality.

It might be worth being careful.

EDIT: The S-Max did very poorly in the ADAC breakdown stats as well.

Edited by tyro on 18/01/2010 at 23:14

Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Nsar
Espada, the Tribeca was a bad idea when it was conceived.

The complicating factor is that the creatures involved in its conception were a toad and an aardvark.

Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Peterexhaustpiper
OOOO *Sucks breath in* I would steer well clear of the S-Max if I were you, The Renault Espace & Ford S-Max are both currently Britains 2 most unreliable MPV's at the moment. As nice as they look, feel & drive more than 20% of S-Max owners have had to take them back to Ford with reliability issues. The interior on S-Maxes might look all solid good-quality inside but they are as bad as Peugeot 307's for things breaking off or falling apart in your hands after a short period of time (Ive been in one as a taxi recently). Seatbelt plugs in S-Maxes are a known favourite for profusely rattling. The aircon is known to leak all over the carpets at the front, the door seals are known to leak easily - There is a huge list of other problems that I could go on & on about along with the shocking complaints about Fords uncooperative customer service refusing to fix things throughout the warranty.

I'd take all the "Go for the S-Max" advice with a caution, then again if you like lots of flashy LED screens, technology, space, drive then go for the S-Max but be prepared for the worst...

Its one of Britains most unreliable MPV's dubbed "Fix Once, Repair Daily" don't take too much advice from people who bought one less than 1 year ago & say "I've had nothing go wrong with mine... They are really good, really reliable" because they might not be part of that 20% of people who had bad apples you see...

Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Lygonos
If you go for a Tribeca I'd sidestep the 3.0 model and go for a 3.6R (a few for sale at highly marked up prices - very rare in UK, very popular in USA/Canada). More economical, faster, happier on 95 unleaded, less ugly!

subaru.r66.co.uk/dealer/s-and-s-services/600778298..._

What about the new Santa Fe? - cracking new 2.2TD engine, and comes with a 6-spd autobox if you'll stretch to just over 20 grand.

Same engine/box is also in the Kia Sedona for a little less cash.

If you're keeping until it's virtually worthless the high VED of the Tribeca starts to become less of a concern - fantastic bargaining chip for cutting prices though.

Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - ForumNeedsModerating
After using two cars to get the family and friends to the same destination twice this weekend, I decided I should have a seven seater car

Perhaps you could allow the friends to make their own way next time & just get a nice 5-seater for the family? (or get richer self-mobile friends) ;)
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Nsar
To be honest, that's the most sensible advice in this thread.

A taxi even 20 times a year will cost you say £1000, a LOT less than the depreciation on either car
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - gmac
If you go for the S-Max remember it might have a Ford badge on the front but it's a Volvo 5 pot underneath the bonnet. It won't be cheap to service.

How about a 2.2 diesel as a compromise or is diesel a no no ?
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - stunorthants26
Well, since the Subaru is a very left-field choice, that presumably is the one you really want an your using the S-Max as a device by which to measure its sensibilities as not many people come up with those two on a shortlist!

So id say Subaru, but do be aware that driving any 4x4, no matter how obscure, comes with certain hassles from the anti lobby.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - boxsterboy
Of the 2 I would chose the S-Max, subject to the wise words above. They are genuinely good to drive, but perhaps less so to own.

Personally I class the Tribeca in with the Ssang Yong Rodius when it comes to styling - i.e. hideous.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - MVP
A guy I work with has an S Max - loads of agro.

The Tribeca is soooo ugly, would you ever be able to sell it again?

Boring, but good and cheap is the Zafira

MVP
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - hjd
We have a 2.0 diesel S-max and have had no trouble at all with it.
gmac

The TDCi engines in the S-max are dreadful, I wouldn't reccomend any of them to anyone, not even the PSA powerplants. They use most of the parts from delphi, even the entire injection system is delphi. It would be better to fork out on the more expensive servicing on the T5 engine. Get a TDCi - you will only regret it, It seems to be like a ticking time bomb for a huge dent in your wallet for engine re-pairs/re-placements that Ford will often try to avoid covering under their warranty. Ive heard too much about the TDCi S-Max's DMF's literally falling apart on people, injector seals leaking, engines shaking/rattling themselves to pieces, Dodgey mapped PCM's doing nasty things to the engine performance, clutches burning out after 1-week of commuting.

If I was buying an S-Max it would have to be a petrol engine model or not at all.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - NickS
How about a Mercedes R-Class? Far more luxurious than both of the two mentioned above, and a little more exclusive too...............

Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Armstrong Sid
How about a Mercedes R-Class? Far more luxurious than both of the two mentioned above
and a little more exclusive too...............

And surely one of the few vehicles on the road which is uglier than the Tribeca
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - NickS
And also far better value as a long term investment (in terms of residuals etc).

I quite like them :-) All the benfits of an SUV, packaged as an estate. Thats just me though, I dont find the Tribeca that offensive either, IMO it's not that ugly, it's just not conventional looking; a bonus in my book.
Nicks

www.specksavers.com
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Statistical outlier
www.specksavers.com

Quite right, save the delicious Italian sausage and sensible family cars be damned!
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - boxsterboy
How about a Mercedes R-Class? Far more luxurious than both of the two mentioned above
and a little more exclusive too...............

And 4x4, like a Tribeca. NOT ugly, now cheap to buy if not to run.
Peter Piper. There are only so many ways you can say you hate fords. You can stop now you are starting to repeat yourself. Your prejuice is fairly evident.

Edited by Altea Ego on 19/01/2010 at 15:25

We are not allowed to be predudiced against the makes & models of cars now? Since when was disliking Fords politically incorrect. We are allowed an opinion weather we like something or not.
That is some challenge, find a car manufacturer who uses nothing from Delphi. With all the tie-ins and joint ventures between manufacturers it would be difficult to find one who has no link back.

Why do you recommend a petrol S-Max if Ford are as bad as you have heard ?
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - idle_chatterer
My choice would be the S-Max (probably a 2.2 TDCi TBH), I've nearly leased one twice - once in late 2006 when the forums were full of disgruntled owners, the badge fell off the rear and the seat jammed on the test car from Ford so I decided that the rumours regarding reliability were probably true.... Then again in late 2008, this time it was a mid life crisis which stopped me. I think that it handles and rides superbly, no MPV has a 'right' to handle that well, better than most cars.

Since then 3 colleagues have had them (all 2.0 TDCi Titaniums) and all are pleased, IIRC the oldest is a 57 though.

So my advice is if it's an 08 or later then get the S-Max, anything earlier be wary of build/reliability issues.

Alternatives might be a Mazda 5 or what about a Mitsubishi Outlander (I think they're 7 seater) ? I won't have a Vauxhall but the Zafira (especially the turbo) might be OK ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 19/01/2010 at 17:14

Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - a900ss
Another vote for the S-Max, a GREAT family car. I had one for about 15 months and 55,000 miles (it was a diesel though). No problems apart from a loose armrest at delivery that was fixed at the 1500 mile service. S-Maxes do eat front tyres though and the 18" tyres on my one were not cheap. Lasted about 12k if I remember rightly. Backs lasted forever though.
Its only GM & Ford that use Delphi, its not that hard to find a manufacturer that doesn't rifle frankensteins parts from Michigan (a.k.a Delphi)

S-maxes are appaling for quality/reliability no matter what one you get, the petrol is probably the lesser of the evils though.
Its only GM & Ford that use Delphi its not that hard to find a
manufacturer that doesn't rifle frankensteins parts from Michigan (a.k.a Delphi)

Really ? Two seconds on Delphi's own website turns out seven other manufacturers who are customers/clients. Just type a manufacturers name and Delphi into a search engine.
The TDCi engines in the S-max are dreadful I wouldn't reccomend any of them to
anyone not even the PSA powerplants. >>

Your prejudice is evident, surely to the extent that your comments will be ignored, one hopes so anyway.

:-(
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Nomag
I actually considered the Tribeca before I got our S-max which we've had 3 months now. We have a 2.2 diesel. If you're considering one I would recommend the excellent forum at smaxownersclub.co.uk where I got a lot of useful advice.

I fancied the Tribeca due to the reasonable prices, and the 4x4 for towing our caravan, but in the end I was concerned about the long term maintenance (parts issues) and ease of servicing locally, and the overall running costs coming from a diesel Octavia. Our 2.2 diesel does 35mpg day to day which I think considering its 175PS and nearly 2 tonnes is impressive. I would definitely have gone for the petrol if my mileage was lower (like yours) although they don't seem to be that much cheaper used than the diesels.

You are comparing two v different cars though. Neither has 7 big seats (do you need them?), we v rarely use the back seats in ours but they are really 5+2, the middle row accommodation is great (I can sit behind myself comfortably - I'm 6'2") but the back row is for adults for short trips only. I've been in the back row of a Tribeca and it's a similar story.

I actually have a patient who recently bought a Tribeca to replace an aging Scenic. He "knows" a Subaru salesman and reckons he got a deal....a 56 plate with 10k miles cost him 14K, I wasn't sure it was quite such a deal but he seems very pleased with it....22mpg on a run so he says. Does your current Subaru ownership not sway you in that direction?
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - ForumNeedsModerating
Your prejudice is evident, surely to the extent that your comments will be ignored, one hopes so anyway.

The poster seemed to make some interesting points - have you got any contrary knowledge/experience then - if so I'd like to hear it. Simple gainsaying doesn't really enlighten does it?
>>Simple gainsaying doesn't really enlighten does it?

Woodbines, you only have to read it, AE made the same point as me, I stand by views of that poster's comment and have nothing to add.
Mentioning about how bad a Ford S-max can be is like writing negative articles about the government in a communist state! I might get banished to a coal mine for 3 weeks just for making a point about the reliability.

Edited by Peterexhaustpiper on 22/01/2010 at 02:12

I might get banished to a coal mine for 3 weeks >>

Yep and you might learn what not to do when in a hole ... ... ... ;-)
Its not about arguing me into a hole over a 2.5T Box-Max, defending it doesn't stop it being one of the most unreliable MPV's in Britain. The only person who is going to be in a deep hole is the person silly enough to buy one, & a financial one at that.

I've listed some of the known & typical problems the S-max TDCi's have. These are backed up by consumer facts & reports also reviews made by the owners of the vehicles who got rid of them because of it.

PS: The boot issue... I just thought I would mention something very awful on the S-max, the boot catches are made from an awful cost-cutting plastic, they are well-known to break easily causing the boot to lock shut permanently. So much for "feel the difference"

True story...

Me & my dad (2 years ago) were going to get a car on motability because my mum is disabled. We went into Ford 1st & looked at small-mid MPV's. We were shown the Focus C-max & Ford S-max which were within our range for a motability grant, they didn't have a Galaxy in the showroom to show us so we were guided to the C-max & S-max. If we chose a C-max we wouldn't need a grant to pay back over 3 years. If we chose an S-max we would have to apply for a low grant which we owe back over 3 years. If we chose a Galaxy we would have to apply for a high grant which we couldn't afford over 3 years. My dad wanted the S-max as the grant was low & we could do with 7 seats plus the boot space was a lot more than the C-max. He was really impressed with it & wanted to get a black titanium 2.2 TDCi.

That was until the salesman opened the door for me, I sat in the driver seat, adjusted the seat to a lower height & the damn seat lever actually broke off in my hands. I ran my fingers over the controls to get the feel of it but I can't honestly see why these have got a huge price tag on them. I found the S-max to be rather cheap when I sat in it for real. The centre-dash buttons feel like flimsy mobile-phone keypads. I can't see any real lasting quality in an S-max.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - wazza
what did you end up getting? the c-max?
No we dropped the idea of motability in the end.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - gmarian28
Imaginary story!

The ford S-Max Titanium has an electric drivers seat height adjustment.... so your story it's crap from the beginning... I own a S-Max 2.5T Titanium for 2 and a half years now with 70k miles ... and the issues that i had are only related to maintenance, and maybe the buttons that you are talking about are present on the standard version that can't be bought along with the 2.5t engine.... so please talk only if you know what you are talking about.... if not ... go get something else to do...
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Avant
Just a left-field thought, Espada:

How fond is Espadrille of her Mercedes A-class? If you could persuade her into a Toyota Verso or Mazda 5 (probably the best of the smaller 7-seaters) you could keep the Outback or swap it for something else that suits you when you aren't ferrying family and friends.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - Dave_TD
I've never knowingly seen a Tribeca on the road

Apparently they sold only 746 in total

There's one in Leicester plated for Private Hire! Might be worth collaring him to find out about long-term reliability and fuel economy.

The only other one I've ever seen regularly was in Aylesbury near a customer's premises about three years ago.
Subaru Tribeca or Ford S-Max 2.5T? - wazza
I have a Mazda 5 1.8 TS2 since 2007. Have been pleased with it. I have 3 young children so having a sliding door helps. True the middle seat is small for an adult on a long run. Love the handling of the car although it can be a bit noisy on the motorway due to stiffer suspension. The zafira is quieter but poor in handling. You can't have both. The lease is due to finish this Sept. so i will be looking at another MPV. S-max is on the list but having doubts now. Had a sit on one yesterday and it seemed okay. Will need to take it for a test drive to check.

I know that in 2007 before the facelift in 2008 the sport model had premature front tyre wear issues. Don't know if that has been solved.