What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.6 Erratic idle, air con & almost cutting out - adam f
Hi guys.
I have searched all over the internet and this forum (as well as others) and i was hoping someone could really help me out with a problem i have.

I have just bought this car from a family friend. The car has been sitting on there drive for around 4 months and not being used very much.

The car idles slightly erratic at low revs and it feels like it wants to stall when pulling to junctions/roundabouts/lights etc..(but never does) There is a bubbling / gurgling sound coming from the engine bay which i think is to do with the aircon.

I had a mechanic check this out. He plugged in a diagnostic machine a no faults were registered. He thought that it might be the Idle control valve so he replaced that but it didnt change anything, so he put the old one back in.

I have just serviced it myself - changing plugs, oil and filter and air filter.

Also if i have the aircon on the car will not over idle, the gurgling sound kind of dissapears and the car doesn't feellike it will stalll.

Please help before i send it to the dealers. {please note that dealers starts with a d and not st}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/01/2010 at 00:53

01 1.6 Erratic idle, air con & almost cutting out - macavity
Really just guessing here, but a new fuel filter would worth trying.
01 1.6 Erratic idle, air con & almost cutting out - foxyfocus
i recently read this on another thread, but cannot locate it again, give it a try, don't know if it will solve your problem but so far my focus seems to be ok since doing it, anything is worth a go, and it's free............

Basically disconnect battery, and leave disconnected for about 15 mins, then reconnect battery and start engine without touching the accelerator, and let the engine warm up on it's own again without touching the revs, once warm, take for a run more than 5 miles, i think it said stop engine and give it a minute then restart as normal and hey presto, it should be fine........apparently this is supposed to work 19 out of 20 times............
I tried all this last night, and so far the revs have stayed level and it hasn't stalled.....HOORAY AND YIPPEE :-) ..... I just hope it continues.........
Hi. I replied to your post earlier.I have already tried this but to no avail. I have been having the same symptoms that you described in your thread - apart from the cutting out bit.
The car is with Ford at the moment so hopefully they will fix it.
Update:

Car is now fixed. it needed a software update on the ECU.