What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.7 Timing Belt for 1.7 CDTI - g-a-c
Hi, me and my partner are considering purchasing a 2004 Civic CDTI. It currently stands at 82,000 miles, the salesman said the cambelt is due at 90,000, however there's usually a timed interval as well as milage so does anyone know what this is?

I didn't think about it until I'd left the forecourt and realised the car is 5.5 years old (not 4.5, I'm having trouble with the mental arithmetic involving 2010) but thought it would be easy to find on Google, however it's proving to be more difficult than I thought to track down.

Thanks for any replies!
04 1.7 Timing Belt for 1.7 CDTI - sandy56
I wouldnt risk the car for saving on the cambelt.
Get a deal for the car with a new cambelt fitted, otherwise walk away
04 1.7 Timing Belt for 1.7 CDTI - WorkshopTech
These are 90k miles or 10 years. See to be a good design, not heard of them failing. They are straightforward to change (less than 2 hours labour) so its not a big deal if a new one needs fitting. I would try to get a deal with the garage over this.
04 1.7 Timing Belt for 1.7 CDTI - g-a-c
Thanks WorkshopTech! I assumed that with the milage interval being higher it would be longer, but 10 years is excellent. My own VAG engine is 60k/4yrs so I was thinking 90k/6yrs for this which would mean it was very close and I'd have good grounds for a deal. I'm going to ask about it anyway (don't ask, don't get!) but just wanted to know whether it was a dealbreaker or not.

I would never skimp on a cambelt change, I had a new cambelt fail on my old Golf due to incorrect fitting which did ~£800 of damage which thankfully I didn't have to cover, so I know just how vital it is! However, 8000 miles is roughly a years motoring for my girlfriend so if I know it has plenty of life left in it time-wise then I can still consider the car even if they won't throw in a cambelt change, it looks to be in good condition and well looked after so would be a shame to walk away from it.