What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.8 Over Revving and Pulling - vipaul
My focus has started to Rev high on its own.

Normally the car will start fine and drive away Ok but after a short while usually after a gear change the revs will rocket up to around 4000rpm. I can then feel the car pulling itself along. The car will eventually sort itself out. It can happen at anytime and on occasions can go weeks without a problem.

Its a problem several other people have mentioned but I have never found a definite fix.

Has anyone had this problem, Found a fix or have a solution?

thank you.

Paul

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/01/2010 at 18:59

01 1.8 Over Revving and Pulling - CraigP
I only do DIY driveway repairs so take this with housing estate sized yellow grit box worth of salt! :-)

Could it be the throttle body all gunked up, around the hinges of the butterfly valve?

To clean it i'd disconnect the hose leading into the throttle body face, then i'd wedge the butterfly valve open with something long enough that it can't fall inside the throttle body.

I'd spray carb cleaner in there and on the throttle face plate and into the hinges at the edges. Toothbrush to scrub and then a cloth to wipe it out afterwards.

Failing that it's got to be something preventing the throttle returning to closed. The return spring weak? Throttle cable (if there is one) sticking in its sheath? Dodgy throttle position sensor?

I'm all out of ideas now :-)
01 1.8 Over Revving and Pulling - vipaul
Thanks for the reply, its good to get some Ideas of what it could be. The TPS has been mentioned to me also.

Anyone else???

01 1.8 Over Revving and Pulling - CharlyCroker
Im having the same problem. Ive done a bit of research and found a common fault on our cars are the Idle Speed Control Valve or the Throttle Position Sensor.. Having replaced both at more money than I wanted to spend, I'm still no better off. My next step is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. I get the feeling it may be wiring though, but tracing it will be difficult. I've sussed that if you unplug either your TPS of the Air Flow Meter on the air fiter box the car runs fine.. go figure.. Im just curious as to what damage running with either disconnected will do..

Did you manage to get yours fixed yet?