What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A Christmas Story - the older motorist - oilrag
The silver A class had just moved onto the chemist`s forecourt and as I reversed into position beside him, I noticed him pause as he opened his door and then smile slightly as we made eye contact on getting out of our vehicles.

I would place him in his late 80`s - moving slowly into the chemist, white faced and without much colour in his lips, let alone face. A heart condition perhaps or the normal aging process resulting in his body organs being hard pressed by his slow walk inside.

The A class outside gleamed, even to it`s alloy wheels - despite the heavy salting and filthy main road. I assessed it as a well cared for and perhaps even loved vehicle - being deployed into the salt as a necessity, due to frailty, rather than choice.

He looked vulnerable and I took his wisp of a smile as perhaps loneliness - was this trip out his only human contact today - or for longer?

I engaged him in conversation as we waited for our respective medications and despite being 61yrs myself - never had the 61 felt more like being 21 - if you know what mean.

We covered the weather, snow, the -6c of the previous night and of earlier decades. He really warmed to the contact and his face glowed with pleasure despite what looked like possible cardiac insufficiency.
We were back in the winter of 47 - a year before I was born and I added to that my Fathers story of the winter of 44 and him being on guard duty at an RAF airfield - the Battle of The Bulge going on inland and the expectation of German paratroopers.

I touched his arm as I left and wished him a good Christmas - he was not far from the limit of what`s possible with motoring and I felt great empathy for him as another Human Being - facing the final challenges and perhaps the prospect of a lonely Christmas.

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 24/12/2009 at 08:40

A Christmas Story - the older motorist - Pugugly
I was thinking of posting about Random Acts of Kindness/Courtesy later on.

A Christmas Story - the older motorist - Armstrong Sid
Excellent stuff.

Almost seems like a lost chapter from Dickens' Christmas Carol.
A Christmas Story - the older motorist - dieseldogg
Harumph,
i have to say I agree.
&
Blows in a hankie
A Christmas Story - the older motorist - s.v.u.
You never know, that old gent could have been a Edmund Gwenn type of "angel visiting at Christmas" scenario !! In which case Oilrag I think you`re in for a very nice Christmas ! In any event good on you for showing such kindness to the old chap, wish you and yours a very merry one ! What does the world need !! Lots more Oilrags !
A Christmas Story - the older motorist - cheddar
Nice story Oilrag, I too would have valued his conversation and memories of former times (or yours for that matter) though it's those sleeping in cardboard boxes, not driving gleaming Mercedes, that should be formost in our minds.
A Christmas Story - the older motorist - perro
There was an interesting item along the same lines on BBC Radio 4 this morning at 9-10AM
You can listen again if your over 50, when the page loads - wait a few secs. then drag the cursor to 9-10am ~ www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pbnzn/Today_24_12.../
A Christmas Story - the older motorist - L'escargot
I touched his arm as I left and wished him a good Christmas -

It was me. Now I know what oilrag looks like.
;-)

>>he
was not far from the limit of what`s possible with motoring ........

Don't say that!