What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
100k in 3 years - good buy? - likerocks
Hi all,

Whilst window shopping this weekend, I've seen that a garage local to me has 3 defleeted, black 06 reg focus estate 1.6 tdci lx's.

First of all the long shot - does anybody out there have an inkling of which outfit runs / ran a fleet of such vehicles?

Secondly, they were all priced around the £4k mark which struck me as quite reasonable for a 3y old example with 100k. Recent experience with mine and my wife's 10y+ old cars seems to suggest that it is age and neglect that kills cars far more that mileage. If a car has seen this intensity of use, I would expect the mileage to be mostly motorway miles and the cars to be mechanically pristine. Also any common rail -diesel related horror stories should have raised their head and been sorted by this point. Any opinions?

I'm close to being more than a window shopper.....
100k in 3 years - good buy? - Alby Back
MOD perhaps or maybe a cheapskate undertakers ( sorry..bad joke )...

Sound worth a punt but I think I'd still want a slightly better price. Check the service history thoroughly.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - bell boy
i too think a private ambulance service,maybe going to the continent if you are on the south coast?
100k in 3 years - good buy? - Rattle
It depends how many miles you intend to do. If they have full service history then its nothing to worry about however if you're doing 20k a year a 100k 3 year old car will soon have silly miles on it. If you're doing 5k then the high milleage car now will soon become average miles and keep its value.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - gordonbennet
I'd want to see some evidence of servicing, should be print outs with that sort of mileage, i'd give one a punt.
My brother once bought a black Carlton estate which had the unusual feature of a full length loadspace cover, ie it ran from just behind the front seats. Took a while for the penny to drop but eventually he worked out what it had been used for in its past....
Rattle - good question - never really thought of it this way. I do about 12-15k a year. I don't really tend to dispose of cars until they cause me grief so I don't mind ending up with a mega-miler a few years down the line so long as it remains reliable.

Incidentally I realise that my mileage is probably marginal to benefit from running a diesel but I like the driving experience and don't want to miss the torque of my 2.0 petrol mondeo.

Does anyone know what the service intervals are on these and whether there are any "longlife" type issues?

Cheers
Think they need cambelts every once in a while but otherwise I should think it's 12.5k intervals.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - Old Navy
The cambelt is 100,000 miles on my 2.0 tdci, it will need doing if not already done.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - M.M
Having looked at loads of 06 Focus/Astra etc recently these seem good buys even considering the mileage.

I have changed my opinion on higher mileage cars over the past few years though. I used to buy loads at around 80k and run them to perhaps 140k but there were older tech diesels that would go to 250k with no issues.... and by 80k they'd just had the first timing belt.

Now at 100k, as mentioned, you will probably be looking at a timing belt then the issue of clutches/DMFs and possible injectors/pump/turbo issues that the more modern diesls seem prone to not long after 100k.

Not saying don't buy but just have an idea of these extra costs looming.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - L'escargot
If you're doing 5k
then the high milleage car now will soon become average miles and keep its value.

In the trade the average is reckoned to be 12,000 miles per year. It would take 9 years at 5000 miles per year to get the overall average of this one down to to 12,000 miles per year.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - Jcoventry
If you think about the mileage these engines are capable of, it's not much really. 3 years isn't old, so stuff like electrics should be fine. So what is there to worry about? If it's been maintained properly, I wouldn't be so hesitant. For piece of mind, after buying the car, you could just do a full service yourself (you can buy the kits from Ford), and replace the cambelt while you're at it.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - rumblmic
Hello likerocks what was the outcome did you buy one ?what was the of the state of the cars ? are they still for sale ? and where are they ? Mick
100k in 3 years - good buy? - shara
I bought a 2.0 TDCI Focus last year with 90k on the clock. As has already been mentioned a full service history is essential on a diesel. I am from the old school of motroing i.e. a diesel engine will last forever, however with common rail diesel this may not neccesarily be true. At the 100k mark you will be looking at issues such as changing the timing belt. Other issues to look out for are DMF and possibly injector issues. Also with an ex fleet car look out for bodywork dings and interior rips etc. I also think the 1.6 TDCI had a dpf filter as standard which I think needs renewing at 75k, check that has also been done.
Hi all, thanks for the opinions. No, I haven't progressed beyond window shopping yet but have started preliminary discussions with my wife.....!

Options are to spend approx £4-500 keeping the V reg, 100k petrol mondeo on the road for another year (i.e. more than 50& of its worth and putting up with further age-related niggles) or splashing on one of these focuses with equal mileage but much newer.

I don't mind sharing the find though, but not sure on forum rules about linking to other websites. Suffice to say that a search within 30 miles of Bradford on a well known classifieds website will turn up the cars I'm talking about.....!
100k in 3 years - good buy? - I'm a Pane
Might be Everest- 1.6 focus estate in basic spec is the prefered choice for our surveyors. If so check for damage to interior trim-ladders etc often slid in and out all over the place!
100k in 3 years - good buy? - DP
I ran a Focus I TDDi for 3 yrs as a company car, and racked up just shy of 100k. In that time it needed nothing outside of servicing, tyres and bulbs, except for an auxiliary belt tensioner. Still drove like new at 100k as well.

I would have bought it had I needed it. I have no doubt it would have done the same mileage again without any trouble at all.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - WorkshopTech
Frankly I wouldnt go spending £4k+ on a 100k 1.6tdci. The 1.6 was never the best engine and we see a lot with stubborn EGR problems.
At higher mileage the base engines are usually OK but you are into wear out phase on things like alternators, starters, DMFs, power steering. The ancilliary bits that Ford fit are not the most durable. If you are a competent diyer and can source and fit a recon alternator then its not much of a problem, but if you need someone else to do these jobs then it can work out expensive.
You might be better off trying to find a VAG product with the 1.9TDI if you want a diesel. Yes, its a bit of a tractor motor, but they outlast most other deisels, have durable ancilliaries and are relatively cheap and simple to work on.
100k in 3 years - good buy? - dieselfitter
I would always try to contact the previous owner/company fleet manager and ask how the car has been used and has there been any recorded accidental damage. 100K of long-distance travel might be quite acceptable and the car could still be fresh. But I wouldn't assume that this is how the cars have been used. I recently went to check out an ex-company MkII Focus with 80K, described as one owner and full Ford history. The car looked pretty good but had signs of wear to the steering wheel, remote key and driver's seat belt, and felt a bit tired on the test drive. A phone call to the previous owner (on the V5C) revealed it had belonged to a local wholesaler and had racked up its miles with a daily diet of endless stop-start use for retail rounds in a big city! That was one useful phone call.....
100k in 3 years - good buy? - bell boy
is the owner called paul?