What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
young drivers insurance - graham cook
which insurers offer affordable premiums to young drivers
Re: young drivers insurance - honest john
Look down the threads to 10th May and look at the thread headed 'Young Drivers Insurance'. You will need to collapse the threads before you do this or you'll never get there.

HJ
Re: young drivers insurance - David Mitcham
John

This doesn't work - maybe I'm being thick. All I want is the list of insureres published in the Telegraph on Saturday with either web/e-mail addresses or telephone numbers. 17 year old daughter about to aquire car but we need to know likely insurance cost before deciding what.

Regards

David Mitcham
Re: young drivers insurance - John Slaughter
David

Can't beat yellow pages for the phone numbers.

Some companies won't quote without a registration number. Get a copy of Parkers, which lists the insurance groups for the cars. It is sometimes a surprise how what appear to be similar cars have very different insurance ratings. Parkers seems to be fairly accurate on insurance group information, although some companies may have minor variations. From experience, prepare yourself for a shock at some of the quotes, even for cars in insurance groups 2 and 3!

regards

john
Re: young drivers insurance - Malcolm Preston
My son John David Preston is 19 and an insulin dependant diabetic. he also has an sp30 on his licence fo 5 points. This was given approx 1 year ago.

He has just got 3rd party insurance via my usual insurer Frizzell's and Liverpool and Victoria Insur Company. He has got insurance for the 1st time in his own name. Car = 1992 (K reg) 1.4i Astra LS 5 door hatchback 86,000 miles on clock and worth about £1200.

He has took out 3rd party for £1112 and fully comp was £1500.

Can you recommend any other comapnies that may betterthse quotes?

Thanks

Malcolm Preston graham cook wrote:
>
> which insurers offer affordable premiums to young drivers
Re: young drivers insurance - Simon Whaites
My son was 19 and we got two years free insurance with a Corsa, and when the certificate came from Vauxhall insurance the prepaid premium was about £900, not bad on a new car with a 19 year old boy as the main driver and a 17 year old girl as the only other named driver. I think they give quotes for all makes so try them....
Re: young drivers insurance - Andrew Hamilton
I find the Search option available at the start very helpful. Just 'Go to top' button gets to beginning and 'Search' button is displayed.
Re: young drivers insurance - Martin fettes-Neame
The co-op is very cheap if you have no convictions. The AA was horrendously expensive. Endsleigh are cheap (helpful and friedly too!). Let me know if you want the tel no.
Re: young drivers insurance - Gail Trew
My 20 year old son (passed test age 19) has had excellent quotes from CMA (Cornish Mutual Assurance) Tel: 01392 824964 eg £459.81 for 3rd party on F reg Fiesta 1.1 as compared to £820 quoted for same vehicle by 17-40.
He also gains the equivalent of 1 year no claims as he has taken the Pass Plus Certificate. Devon offer a Pass Plus Plus scheme, 2½ days training for £50, excellent value.
Young drivers insurance and Pass Plus - John Slaughter
It's certainly worth young drivers doing the Pass Plus course. So when ringing round for renewal quotes recently (having dimissed the AA renewal which wanted an increase of about 75% over last year, despite us having had no claims!) we mentioned that our 18 year old daughter, whose is covered on our car, had now completed Pass Plus. However, the standard response was that as she is not the main driver, there was no financial benefit for her having done Pass Plus.

Yes, the policy is cheaper overall than if she had been the main driver, but still far more expensive than just my wife and I. Can't for the life of me see why the benefit for Pass Plus only applies in the one set of circumstances. This attitude could be a disincentive for people in our circumstances to pay the money for the course, and that's got to be bad news.

Regards

john
Re: Young drivers insurance and Pass Plus - Tom Shaw
Her instructor should be able to supply her with a list of insurers who are Pass Plus friendly. This is supplied to all ADI's who are Pass Plus registered.
Re: Young drivers insurance and Pass Plus - John Slaughter
Tom

Yes, it's no problem finding insurers who recognise Pass plus - the problem is few if any give any benefit for it unless the youngster is the main driver - which my daughter isn't.

regards

john
Re: young drivers insurance - honest john
Dear David,

To find the Backroom recommendations, type Insurance into the search window and you will get all of them. You may then have to do a bit of work by yourself to get the phone numbers or e-mail addresses, but these were never promised to you anyway. This is an open forum. It isn't Which?

HJ
Re: young drivers insurance - Phil C
This situation isn't just happening to the late teens!! I'm now 27 and have been getting quoted ridiculous premiums for the last few years.

Having been through the hell of sorting out insurance for myself one little tip would be to ring around as many insurance companies as you can (as someone mentioned on an earlier reply) small or large be it intermediaries, brokers or whatever.

Another would be to use the better quotes you find to negotiate better deals with your current insurer. For the past two years I have gone back to my insurers (Hill House Hammond) with better like-for-like quotes from elsewhere and found that they'll either match it or beat it (funnily enough without any documentary evidence!!).

I have found Frizzell to be pretty good over the years coming in with relatively good quotes. I've got a list at home from last year's research so I'll post that up later.

Funnily enough I did a quote for myself on-line on Saturday for my new car going through Ford Insure (Norwich Union) and found I'd be paying £700+ fully comp for a 00W Fiesta 1.25 Zetec at the age of 27 1 years NCB with 1 claim (break-in) in the past 5 years with one 25 yo named female driver. Me thinks I'll change the details with HHH (once my 21 day Ford Driveaway cover finishes) and then see what I can do with 2 years NCB at the renewal date.
Re: young drivers insurance - Phil C
As promised here is the list of cheaper insurance providers. Be aware this was done last November. I got the numbers from Yellow Pages.

Taylor Price Direct
Norwich Union Direct
Frizzell (as I mentioned in my earlier thread)

To get the cheaper quotes most of the intermediaries were going through Fortis. I found it amusing that several intermediaries were coming back with quotes for Fortis but at different premiums. Obviously embarrassed when I pointed out that I had got a quote for Fortis from elsewhere at a lower cost!

Also check out the excesses they put on the policy. A cheaper quote can sometimes mean higher personal excesses to pay.

Shopping around saved me £188 last year (£607 down to £419).
Re: young drivers insurance - Jeremy Swift
In the long run, is it a better bet to get a beginner insurance in their own name so they get onto the NCB ladder quicker, or add them to the "family" insurance for the first couple of years at a (possibly) lower premium while they establish a driving record?
Jeremy

Depends on your budget! (Much) more expensive to insure in their name at first. After a few years they can probably get a 'starter' discount in their own name if they can show a claim free record as a 'named driver'.

Just be prepared to spend plenty of time on the phone for quotes even for youngsters as named drivers. it certainly tests your sense of humour.

regards

john
Jeremy

Should also have said that the question will be asked 'who is the main driver of the car?' If the youngster is the main driver, then the premium will reflect this, even if they are not the only driver. In this case check what it costs to have them as the policyholder. If they are genuinely not the main driver then this does help to keep premiums down, and as I say they may be able to use this experience/insurance record later. Just make sure they don't have any claims!

Regards

John
Re: young drivers insurance - Stuart Bruce
I am sure John S and others can remember this.

When I once complained about insurance I was told it'll get better when you reach 21, but @ 21 it was a case of wait till you get to 25, but @ 25 it was ..... get to 30, and now a number of us are approaching old fart status I am waiting for the insurance mob to say Ah but now you are over X we have to load.......

Phrases involving blood and boiling come to mind.
Re: young drivers insurance - Carole Adams
My son cunningly bought a new Saxo with 3 - yes 3 - years' free insurance when he was 17 (Direct Line) - though they quickly learnt their lesson and later changed the deal on new Citroens to 1 year for over 21s only. This will have saved him over 3 grand by the time the 3 years is up. Unfortunately he had it broken into twice in the first year so he will no doubt be counting the cost next year (but at least both break ins were in the first year so still 2 years' NCD to come). By the way I posted this partly to get a female voice back in the Back Room.
Re: young drivers insurance - Jason Harden @ AAM
Dear Readers,

If you are a looking for insurance for male drivers then the best I can think of are the Co-Op, tel no 08000 282929 or Bell Direct and Admiral.

I am a broker myself AAM Insurance based in Brightlingsea, Near Colchester, Essex I unfortunately cannot help with male drivers but do have two schemes for lady drivers with Insurers Link and Provident.

They offer 6 month cover with a bonus at the end (upto 30% depending on Insurer). If I can be of any assistance please ring and ask for me

01206 303245 or email me

.... graham cook wrote:
>
> which insurers offer affordable premiums to young drivers