03 1.6 Oil in the coolant - 9884booth
I bought a MGTF from a Kia dealer, 1 owner 23k on a 53 plate and got them to change the cam belt and water pump as part of the deal.

My wife does low mileage 800 in 2 months and I noticed some discolouration in the collant expansion bottle this weekend.

If I put my finger through the fill cap hole I can feel a creamy deposit on the inside of the bottle.

At the moment we get no overheating issues and I see no signs of water in the oil through inspecting the fill line or dipstick

Is this a head gasket fault?
03 1.6 Oil in the coolant - Lou_O
Is this a head gasket fault?

Yes, I would think so.

The k-series engine is notorious for this failure. Did you buy a warranty with the car?
yes I did get a 12 month parts and labour warranty with the car via Proton Insurance as it's a Proton dealer. I've just asked for policy details as they've still not sent them to me after 2 months>> >>
03 1.6 Oil in the coolant - Peter.N.
Are you sure it is oil? A car that is only driven short distances and doesnt reach normal temperature for vey long will be prone to 'mayonaise' in the cooling system. Try giving it a good spirited run. If it is oil then the head gasket would be suspect.

Edited by Peter.N. on 30/11/2009 at 12:05

03 1.6 Oil in the coolant - Peter D
'mayonaise' is associated to the the oil system not the water system. If it continues to do this then have a garage use their kit to 'sniff' the header tank for combussion gasses. However you may have a small weep betrween the oil pressure feed to the head and a water way so no gases or over pressurisation. This small weep will not get better by itself. Keep a very close eye on the problem. Regards Peter
why would you get mayonaise in the cooling circuit for mainly cool running? surely it needs an oil source.
The deposit on the inside roof of the bottle is of a mayo type
03 1.6 Oil in the coolant - Peter.N.
Sorry, senior moment!!
:-)) no problem thx