What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Black Box - Cardew
The BBC news tonight carried a story about parents of a 17 year old in the USA who had fitted a Black Box to his car. It enabled them to monitor his speed, acceleration and braking.

It occurred to me that if we made it compulsory to fit them in the UK, together with a GPS tracker, we could do away with S**** C******. Detect them. Fine them. No arguments.

We could call it the:-

Blackbox Operated Gps Universal Speed Hazard detection device

Can't think of a suitable acronym for such a detection device though.

C
Black Box - Andrew Hamilton
Interesting idea. Cars with a driving record. I think the car hire trade might be big customers providing it was reliable and tamper proof. Useful gadget if your car is often borrowed. Really only need simple counters for number of times preset limit is exceeded and an automatic alarm to warn driver!
Black Box - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
US car hire trade's already there.
Black Box - bogush
US car hire trade's already there.

And haven't they been banned from using them as unconstitutional, or something?!
Black Box - Pugugly {P}
My local Police Force uses them. Cut down on Pol. Accidents by some 20% in the Met. One featured in a recent case of mone where the CPS produced it after a Police accident to prove that the driver was using his B&Ts when my client exited stage left. He got convicted.
Black Box - sorrera
This product/ service has been available in the UK for some time.
www.trakm8.com/

Don't have it but if you have kids that use your car, it may be useful
Black Box - martint123
Another one recently on TV. Not cheap though.
www.carbug.co.uk/
Black Box - The Watcher
Doesn't an ordinary tachograph do all this? Yes, I know they can be tampered with but it shouldn't take too much ingenuity to sort that out?

Had to laugh at the reasons though. People are complaining about scameras sited at the side of the road but seem agreeable to having this type of control fitted into a black box in the car. What a strange sense of proportion we have.
Black Box - Cardew
Watcher,
If you didn't notice the irony, look at the original post and try to work out the acronym!

C
Black Box - The Watcher
Yerss :-)
Black Box - Marcus
Cardew,
Some serious replies here.

Looking at the acronym, I assumed it was just a friendly jibe at the Backroom's favourite contributor?

Marcus