What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.4 Jump started but battery light remains on - ChrisJ_UK
Our 1.4tdci wouldn't start after having been left overnight. I checked that there were no lights or electrics left on and it seems that nothing was. We jumped it and got it back home but the headlights appeared dim and the battery light was still on after five minutes of running the engine above tickover.

I checked the voltage across the battery with the engine running but it was only 9.5V making me thing that there is a problem with the charging system. I'd went to check the hand book but then remembered that I'd found it in the spare wheel well soaked with water and basically a solid block of paper . So I checked my Haynes only to find out after reading half the book that it was for our old R reg fiesta not this one.

Any ideas what I should check next? Battery terminals appear to be fixed ok. Is it easy to check continuity between the battery and the alternator? Remember I don't have access to diagrams to see where items like the terminals on the alternators are.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
CJ
02 1.4 Jump started but battery light remains on - dave1973
hi there, check to see if alt belt has come off this will stop alternator from charging. also you can check the thick cable on back of alternator to see if the terminal is loose or damaged, this wire may be connected to the starter positive terminal or go straight to the battery. have your battery charged overnight by a charger (remove vent caps if fitted to stop possible battery explosion from build up of gas) and have it drop tested to see if battery will hold a charge if all that is ok then your alternator is up the creek.
02 1.4 Jump started but battery light remains on - zookeeper
sounds like the diode pack has given up the ghost, new alternator im afraid
02 1.4 Jump started but battery light remains on - bell boy
you shouldnt jump start any modern car especially with a totally flat battery
you should take battery off recharge or replace
put back on car and do a load charge test of the alternator by either turning everything on or using a special tool
im not sure if your car has smart charge fitted but if it has then you may be in for a big bill to sort your error

good luck...........