What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tyres Again! - pda
Well, we've just had the CRV serviced today and was told that the n/side front tyre is showing wear on the outside edge.
(apparently according to Mr pda, I have to start going round roundabouts the other way to even the other side front tyre up).
It currently has Bridgestone Duellers 205/70 R15 on it all round.
We have been quoted £293.02 fitted for a set of 4 from our local Central Tyre depot, which I was quite happy with.
The problem is that the rear tyres still have 8mm of tread and the fronts have 5mm.
That's a lot of tyre to throw away but we're sure we've read somewhere that on CRV's all four tyres should be replaced together.
So do we bite the bullet and replace all four, move the fronts to the back, or just replace the 2 front tyres?
The worn tyre is still legal.
I have searched the backroom and googled CRV tyres but can't seem to find where we (thought) we read about this.

Pat
Tyres Again! - gordonbennet
If they've got 5mm on they still have plenty of life, rotate them and even out the wear.

If you want 2 new ones they only usually have 8 to 10mm anyway so you'll only have the same difference as now if that makes any sense.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/11/2009 at 17:38

Tyres Again! - Simon
I say rotate them too. If it is genuine wear on that n/s/f tyre from roundabouts then it is probably only the edge of the shoulder that has worn away rather than across the entire width of the tyre? Put the fronts on the rear and it should no longer keep wearing away that shoulder quite so harshly.
Tyres Again! - pda
Yes Simon, it is only the edge of the tyre that's worn.

Pat
Tyres Again! - Manatee
Move the fronts to the back.

Strictly speaking the "better" ones should be on the back but 5mm is not exactly worn out. Ideally you should rotate the wheels every 6,000 miles or so to even out the wear (I do this with all 5 and am halfway through my third set at 71,000 miles).

I wouldn't want vastly different diameters of tyre front and rear - so it's a good idea to replace all at once by wearing them out evenly, rather than by changing them all when one end is worn out. 8mm is nearly new.

If you do replace a pair, get the same tyre and pattern. Different makes of the "same" size can vary quite a bit in diameter - I replaced the Duellers with Michelins from Costco last year and could barely get the spare wheel cover on. A useful side effect was that the speedo went from slightly overreading to spot on! At least it stopped the wheel cover revolving, which they usually do.

The reason for keeping the wear even and the diameters similar on 4x4s generally is to prevent transmission wind up. This can only happen in 4wd; the CRV is essentially 2wd BUT what engages the drive to the back axle is when the fronts are revolving faster than the rears - I doubt tyre wear will be sufficient to do this but who knows - it might make the rear clutch drag a bit if the difference is big enough?

Incidentally, wind up doesn't normally happen on a CRV even though there is no centre diff. 4wd shold only engage when there is wheelslip, therefore no wind up. As soon as grip is restored, the rear clutch should disengage.

Tyres Again! - pda
Thanks Manatee, that's put our minds at rest!

I shall despatch Mr pda out to the drive with a wheelbrace tomorrow morning, whatever the weather here!

Incidentally how does the price compare with your Costco deal?

Pat
Tyres Again! - Manatee
The Costco deal was about £410 for 5 while the periodic offer was on. Prior to that I'd paid nearly the same for 5 Duellers. Michelins are expensive though.

Your price sounds good, they're £70 each from mytyres without fitting, but check the pattern and the speed rating are what you want when you do buy some - the last set of Duellers I bought, they fitted S rated rather than T, S being too low for this car. Doesn't really worry me from a safety viewpoint with a 111mph rating, but insurers...?

There are several patterns of the Dueller with different numbers - 684, 687, 688 from memory - which are shown on the tyre.
Tyres Again! - ifithelps
... Ideally you should rotate the wheels every 6,000 miles or so to even out the wear...

It says something about that in the handbook of the CC3, and that's a straightforward fwd car.

Of course, Ford don't supply a jack, or wheelbrace, but you do at least get a key for the locking wheel nuts.

Will the jacking point on the CRV lift both wheels?

If not, you really need a wheel free ramp or two jacks.

I would be a bit wary about putting a trolley jack under the centre of the car.

Tyres Again! - Old Navy
I would be a bit wary about putting a trolley jack under the centre of
the car.

I would be too, I jack up one corner, put an axle stand under and then jack the other end (same side).

Edited by Old Navy on 21/11/2009 at 18:13

Tyres Again! - ifithelps
Ah, axle stands - I knew there was a simple answer.

Tyres Again! - Alby Back
Or, as was the case with my wife's old Mk1 Panda you only needed a big daft bloke to hold the back end up while you changed the rear wheels. That was of course in the days before the world went soft......

;-)

Edit - you did need two BDBs for the front mind !

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 21/11/2009 at 18:24

Tyres Again! - pda
There is a jack in the boot so he won't get out of it that easily:)
Will check the tread pattern numbers tomorrow in daylight when it stops raining, but that might explain the good price quoted from the local dealer.

Pat
Tyres Again! - Manatee
Will the jacking point on the CRV lift both wheels?

Haven't tried it but I doubt it
I would be a bit wary about putting a trolley jack under the centre of
the car.

I wouldn't put the scissor jack (or any jack) under the middle of the sill if that's what you mean.

You can manage quite happily with one wheel up at a time if you bring the spare into play (which I do anyway as I rotate all 5). Not on your CC3 of course.
Tyres Again! - ifithelps
Made the mistake once of lifting a Lancia with the driver's door open on a wheel free ramp.

Dropped the car back on the ground only to find the door wouldn't shut.

Mind, that was the car that made headlines for engines falling out.

The words 'structural integrity' were not in its vocabulary.

Tyres Again! - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Anything at less than £100 a corner is surely pretty reasonable nowadays?
The Michelin Pilot Premacys on my modest Skoda are anything up to £140 each fitted.
Never mind those seen on a visitors Ford Mundeo; 245/40-18.
Tyres Again! - Pica
When I had my CRV I got a set of Michelin Latitude Tour HP and they were so much better than the Duellers especially in the wet and when cornering.

I set of 4 was around £390 fitted

Tyres Again! - CRV II - Deskpilot
I had three CRVII's and what you describe was very apparent on my 2001 model in due course but, as I recall, that year car had 15" wheels rather than 16" on the later cars.

Additionally, I am uncertain what "rotate" means these days. I know originally all wheels were swapped diagonally or moved round in a clockwise direction. However the known wisdom according to my Honda garage,at that time, which they did on each of my cars, was to swap the from tyres directly from front to the rear in line.
Tyres Again! - CRV II - Lygonos
+1 for rotating current tyres.

Michelin Latitudes are excellent on our CRV II (215/65x16).

They are H-rated extra load mud/snow tyres. I rate them very much in the wet, and roadholding is far tighter than the BF Goodrich that were on beforehand.

£300 for 4 from Costco during their 20% off a set of 4 deal.

Look for good internet price and check out Kwikfit - they'll usually price match.

Friend got a price from kwikFit.com and went to local Kwikfit - they bettered the price significantly so he bought the tyres direct from them - I imagine if you buy them online the garage only gets a fitting price.
Tyres Again! - CRV II - Manatee
There's a diagram in the manwell for the CRV. Two actually IIRC - one that involves all 5, and one if the spare is excluded. I can look them up if anyone's interested.
Tyres Again! - CRV II - grumpyscot
Switched my CRV from Bridgestone to Avon - much better grip, less noise, and looks better too!