What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
J4 starter motor - bell boy
listening to radio 2 at the moment with 1976 november as the year of choice and got talking about j4 starter motors 4 and a 1/2 inch width bolt to bolt of the time
tinyurl.com/yj9gox7
they were always thick with grease and the ends gnurled up so you would duck oil them to get another week out of them
apparently this starter fitted everything at the time but the v4 ford engine
Remember the square end for the quarter? spanner if it jammed ?
or pressing the button on the solenoid to rotate the engine to open the points ?
J4 starter motor - Old Navy
Remember the square end for the quarter? spanner if it jammed ?
or pressing the button on the solenoid to rotate the engine to open the points
?

>>
Are you trying to baffle the youngsters BB, solenoid, points, you will be on about carburettors next.

A smack with a hammer unjammed them too!
J4 starter motor - sierraman
>>A smack with a hammer unjammed them too!<<

No,that made them work when the brushes were getting low,for a while.When they jammed in the flywheel rocking the car in gear was the method.
J4 starter motor - gordonbennet
And the debate of the day..did you lightly oil the replacement bendix spring or not?

I found my bendix spring compressor a few weeks ago, must be 30 years since i've used it.

Proper solenoids, yes they were handy but most N/S engines could easily be turned by putting a large socket on the crank nut...but those of us that embrace all new technology would be using a dwell meter...checking points by feeler indeed, pah.;)

As an aside astonishing just how small the starter motor is on the pick up, about the size of an old wiper motor.
J4 starter motor - Number_Cruncher
>>And the debate of the day

A little graphite, if you must, but certainly no oil and absolutely no grease.

J4 starter motor - Old Navy
Yup, graphite dust as a last resort, or preferably clean and dry!
J4 starter motor - perro
Hateful van to work on ... and to drive IMO, B series 1622cc injun.
Here's a few vans for you ~ www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/gaydon.htm
J4 starter motor - 1400ted
This starter motor bolts straight on to my Javelin (below) engine. But you'll never get it to start the thing up. Many owners have made this error....anyone know why ?
A virtual bun for the winner !

tinyurl.com/ybzqbx9

Done a bit more fettling today...back on the road after Chrimbo

Ted
J4 starter motor - Sofa Spud
Because the Javelin crankshaft totates in the opposite direction to that which the starter motor is designed for? Just a guess!!

Or possibly because the teeth on the pinion don't match the size of the teeth on the flywheel ring gear?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/11/2009 at 16:24

J4 starter motor - mike hannon
>.but those of us that embrace all new technology would be using a dwell meter...checking points by feeler indeed, pah.;)<

You've never used a fag paper to see when the points open then? I often used to buy a packet of Rizlas and never smoked a cigarette in my whole life!
my thumb nail always sufficed for fords with the black dizzy cap as these were 25thou
i struggled with bosch orange cap and 15thou as girlfriends at the time didnt like sticking their pinkies in the gap
You've never used a fag paper to see when the points open then?

I seem to remember favouring the test light method before i invested in the dwell meter.

I looked for my old Lucas ammeter i prised out of a scrapper, that was one of my most used tools, very useful for checking things like glow plugs in situ...can't find the blessed thing though, should imagine when i'm gone the lad will be muttering over lots of old stuff he'll no doubt find extremely useful.;)

Another who's never smoked either well done that man.

J4 starter motor - ifithelps
We used to put a few drops of Redex on the bendix.

I'm not sure about Ted's Jowett, but there was a small Triumph saloon in the 1970s made in both front and rear wheel drive.

One had an external flywheel, if I recall.

Because of the configuration of the engine/gearbox, the fwd car required a starter which rotated in the opposite direction to the rwd car.

But both fittings were the same, so it was easy to bolt the wrong starter onto either car.
I'm working on the precise specification of my virtual bun in case I win it!
here was a small Triumph saloon in the 1970s made in both front and rear wheel drive.

>>>>>>>>>>.
#>>>>>>>>>>>>> the front wheel drive was a triumph 1300 and i always remember on a cold foggy auction night you could clearly see the large red choke light lit on the dash and the old doubled up wagon batteries connected up but the things never started as the man in charges hand fell through the hole he had created in the front panel ahead of the bonnet only freshly made good out of daily mirrors and fruit teacakes that very morning,finished off with a thick coating of cellulose--------------

the triumph dolomite rear wheel drive on the other hand (flywheel covered in the depths of the engine) started on the button and purred through the rostrum to sell to some young couple who didnt even understand the finer arts of the fact a floor pan would be nice and so would some oil pressure-----------
J4 starter motor - 1400ted
All contestants right to some extent. The engine turns the ' correct ' way but being a flat four, the starter is mounted on the bellhousing facing forward and has to spin in the opposite direction. The Triumph 1300, if I remember, had it's ring gear on the front rather than it's flywheel and the motor faced forward on that as well.
The Triumph one is OK for the Jowett.
My father had a Triumph.....luxurious little car. I was given it to take away, the owner had bought a new car and asked meto take it to a scrapper 'cos the engine had fallen out.
In fact it was just a mounting point that had rusted awy....easy repair.

Here's some buns and a cake to share.....get out the virtual gaviscon !

s479.photobucket.com/albums/rr152/1400ted/

Ted
J4 starter motor - ifithelps
...The Triumph 1300, if I remember, had it's ring gear on the front rather than it's flywheel and the motor faced forward on that as well....

I'm sure that's right.

We fitted a standard starter to one of these and couldn't work out why it wouldn't start.

I think it coughed and spluttered a bit, but other than that, no harm was done to the engine by turning it over the wrong way.
I remember the front-wheel-drive Triumph 1300s and the later fwd 1500s made a loud ringing sort of sound when the starter operated. Now I know why!

The variants of the car were as follows, I think.

Triumph 1300 - FWD
...replaced by.......
Triumph 1500 - FWD (update with new front and longer boot).
Triumph Toledo - RWD, 1300, kept the short boot but new front like 1500.
Dolomite - RWD, 1800 - with the slant-4 'half Stag' engine, also fitted to Saabs.
Dolomite Sprint - performance version of above.
...replaced by.......
A rationalised range with all models using the name Dolomite.

Re: engines rotating the wrong way. I have heard stories that the old Commer 3-cylinder TS3 supercharged opposed-piston 2-stroke diesel engine could accidentally fire up the wrong way. 3 cylinders with 6 pistons operating a single crankshaft via rockers.
J4 starter motor - Harleyman
Re: engines rotating the wrong way. I have heard stories that the old Commer 3-cylinder
TS3 supercharged opposed-piston 2-stroke diesel engine could accidentally fire up the wrong way. 3 cylinders
with 6 pistons operating a single crankshaft via rockers.

Most two-strokes could perform this trick, diesel or petrol. It was most commonly found (inevitably by accident!) when doing a hill start with a BSA Bantam. Lack of care and clutch control when coming to a stand could mean that the engine stalled, then when the bike rolled backwards it re-started in reverse, unbeknown to the hapless rider who then proceeded to make a complete ass of himself when the lights changed.

Lack of care and
clutch control when coming to a stand could mean that the engine stalled then when
the bike rolled backwards it re-started in reverse unbeknown to the hapless rider>>

Absolutely HM, and Gardner truck Diesels could perform the same trick, when it happened the first time and smoke would emit from the air intake it would give you a bit of a turn.
J4 starter motor - john farrar
I remember that my Scott motorcycle(600cc two stroke) would, on occasions , whilst idling "cough "and then run backwards - especially if the ignition timing was too far advanced.
I will never forget the look on the face of a lady driver when I reversed into her car when pulling away at some traffic lights; she quickly regained her composure and apologised for running into me, "because it was , of course impossible for a motorcyclr to reverse," although she could have sworn she never moved!
I was too embaraased to argue. so simply re-started the bike and rode away.
J4 starter motor - Pete Crocker

....John Farrar and the amazingly fast and reversable Scott 2 stroke! How are you doing?

J4 starter motor - john farrar

T'is indeed me.

Not sure how to contact you ...help from Mods please

J4 starter motor - lotusexige

I remember the Triumph 1300 well. Did my driveing test in my mother's one (reg IIH 458) on 13th September 1967. Managed to bed the rack by slideing into a kerb a few months later in snow.

Yes, I remember the starter being at the front, the ring being on what looked like a pressed steel disk. Another odd thing about it was that it had a dynamo but was negative earth. For those of you too young to remember,most cars were positive earth in tha days before alternators.