What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
90 1.3 pierburg 2e3 - resta
My golf refuses to start after changing fuel pump,there is fuel in float chamber but it,s not reaching the engine.All the jets etc seem clear and car seemed ok before fuel pump broke.Any help greatly appreciated.
90 1.3 pierburg 2e3 - Peter D
No Spark. Regards Peter
Sparks and car will fire if you basically pour fuel in.
90 1.3 pierburg 2e3 - piston power
Have you got the pipes correct way round?

Is it sucking fuel? is there a feed to pump? is the filter blocked?
fuel is pumping into carb and float bowl has petrol,pipes as when car was running
90 1.3 pierburg 2e3 - oilrag
With respect to your motor. These carbs seem horrible to me - I spent 15yrs looking after a Polo that had one. Just seeing the name sends a shiver up my spine.

Are there any minute fragments of rubber from the old diaphram in the jets or float chamber.

(worth another look - I can`t remember if the carb has a built in final filter)
I gave it a good clean,what bothers me is i can't find anything wrong.
Resta,
Assuming its actually running on Easy Start or sprayed in petrol.

I would check to see if the plugs are wet with petrol after you have been cranking it over for a while. If not and you have fuel pressure into the carb (and sparks and engine compression..as demonstrated by running on Easystart) Then it`s got to be a blockage in the carb itself.

It would help if you gave more detail of what happened with the old fuel pump and how it was running before then.

That said, you need someone who can remember the carb internals- I can`t.

Edited by oilrag on 19/11/2009 at 20:31

90 1.3 pierburg 2e3 - Number_Cruncher
Is there an earth wire for the fuel shut off valve which earths via one of the fuel pump mounting bolts?

2E3s are good simple carbs - there's not much to go wrong with them. For real horror, you need a 2E2, or a 4A1!

It might be the 2E2 that i`m remembering .......... on an 85 Polo C ?

Edited by oilrag on 20/11/2009 at 07:56

Good one i will check it out, but as fuel is in carb doubtful.Must be a blockage is carb cleaner any good for that?Thanks for everyones thoughts.
You might need to use something mechanical, like a fibre bristle, to clean a blocked jet, rather than a solvent.
If you do, make sure its a material that is not a harder than the jet itself.
I used to just take them out and blow through them.

No amount of carb cleaner sprayed into the carb will dissolve a minute particle of rubber - of course.
Have you checked the spark plugs are not wet with petrol after attempting to start?

I`m not helping you further because you have ignored my questions in my previous post.

Good luck

Edited by oilrag on 20/11/2009 at 12:36

Sorry 'oilrag' not intentionally ignoring just dipping in and out during the day
thanks for any suggestion.Must be blockage as you say,just can't find it.I will stop posting
now and just get on with it,cheers.
Sorry Resta ;-)

Stay around and give feedback and more detail.

All the best

Edited by oilrag on 20/11/2009 at 13:37

90 1.3 pierburg 2e3 - boggles
Was it running before you changed the fuel pump, or has changing the pump not improved a problem? Some fuel in the float chamber may not be enough to fire it up. Is there a sliver of rubber pipe stuck in the float valve? Does it have a "swirl pot" in the fuel line, like pierburg equipped vauxhalls? These need a restrictor in the return line from the swirl pot, as it tends to starve the engine, as the fuel returns rather than going in the carb.