What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Impala, Buick Lucerne - any good as US rental car? - flunky
Renting for a couple of weeks in the US at Christmas, with kids in tow.

Any thoughts?

Chevrolet Aveo - £236
Nissan Versa - £253
Pontiac G6 - £264
Chevrolet Malibu £291
Chevrolet Impala - £291
Chrysler Sebring - £306
Buick Lucerne - £316
Nissan Maxima - £321
Pontiac Vibe (4wd) - £337
Ford Escape - £347
Chevrolet Equinox - £422
Saturn VUE - £430
Cadillac DTS - £473
Chevrolet TrailBlazer - £476
we'll have a fair bit of luggage as well I would think.
Impala, Buick Lucerne - any good as US rental car? - Happy Blue!
Where are you going. What are you doing? How much luggage will you have?
Impala, Buick Lucerne - any good as US rental car? - midlifecrisis
I had an Impala on my last visit. Walking out to the line of cars, noticed that there were two different specs available. I got a high end one and it was perfectly adequate transport for two weeks holiday. Plenty of room and very comfortable as long as you didn't try anything too ambitious!

(Two adults and two kids)

Edited by midlifecrisis on 15/11/2009 at 20:54

We are going to Tennessee (Smokey Mountains) at Christmas. We'll have a large pushchair, suitcases and as many Christmas presents as BA will let us take back (twelve bags @ 32kg each in fact, which is quite a lot, so maybe not quite as many as BA will let us take, but a good few).

The roads should I believe be generally ice-free, and an SUV is said not to be necessary, though I know that many of the cabins (we have yet to book one) are up gravel tracks at tricky angles to the road.
Impala, Buick Lucerne - any good as US rental car? - Happy Blue!
Sounds like you could do with a Chrysler Voyager with blacked out rear windows for luggage security.
we'd probably keep the luggage in the cabin, so no particular issue with blacked-out windows.
Slightly OT, but was just reading this, slightly irksome article:

consumerist.com/345044/6-confessions-of-an-alamo-c...t

then I got to the last paragraph.

Quite amusing. I've experienced this before in the US, they assume Britons are rolling in cash for some reason.....
Impala, Buick Lucerne - any good as US rental car? - Bagpuss
From that list I would take the Chevrolet Impala, the Nissan Maxima or the Buick Lucerne in that order. All three are comfortable over long distances, spacious, quiet and ok to drive. I would avoid the Malibu, Trailblazer and Sebring unless the rental company is giving them away and I would avoid the Aveo even if they are giving it away.
Impala, Buick Lucerne - any good as US rental car? - Bill Payer
Pick a size of car, but don't get hung up on a particular model - in my experience you rarely get the model used as an illustration.

In my opinion, SUVs are much nicer to tour around in. I usually get a Jeep Grand Cherokee (5 seater) or Dodge Durango (7/8 seater) or their equivalents. Luggage space can be limited though, hence taking the bigger SUV sometimes, and they never have load covers (although the rear windows are usually very heavily tinted).

Edited by Bill Payer on 16/11/2009 at 11:06