What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.6 not working after service/new battery-Cam S - poppiholla
I have a Suzuki Baleno that had never been very happy in cold/damp weather. I had a couple of days where it took a lot of willpower and persuasion to get it to start (it would turn over but not "catch"), until finally it wouldn't start at all. The battery was old so I had it serviced and bought a new battery which was fitted. The mechanic dropped it back at my house, and yet I haven't been able to start it since. I'm basically in the same position I was before the service albeit with a new battery. It turns over but doesn't "catch". The mechanic is now telling me it needs a new Cam Sensor based on the number of times the "check engine" light flashes to indicate different faults. Has anyone seen this before, and does replacing the Cam Sensor seem a logical step to take next? Thanks in advance (btw I'm not sure of engine size / age of car)
01 1.6 not working after service/new battery-Cam S - Dynamic Dave
The mechanic is now telling me it needs a new Cam Sensor based on the number of times the "check engine" light flashes to indicate different faults. Has anyone seen this before and does replacing the Cam Sensor seem a logical step to take next?

If that's what the error code is telling you what's wrong, then yes. A camshaft sensor tells the ignition system where the camshaft position is and when to ignite the spark plugs. If it doesn't work, then it would prevent the ignition system from knowing when to ignite the spark plugs and it would not start.
(btw I'm not sure of engine size / age of car)

What is the reg prefix. (eg, X reg, or 52 reg). I can work it out from that and edit it in accordingly. DD - BR Moderator.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/11/2009 at 00:26

01 1.6 not working after service/new battery-Cam S - poppiholla
Thanks Dynamic Dave, makes sense.

Moderator - I'm in the channel islands so our registration numbers don't correspond to anything that would tell you the age, sorry.
00 1.4? Starts but cuts out (has been serviced) - poppiholla
Following from my last post there is another problem. It's been serviced, had a brand new battery, had a new cam sensor. My mechanic is now saying that the car will start but cuts out. I appreciate this is vague, but has anyone seen this problem before? Or is able to shed any light on this please.

thanks

(btw I'm not exactly sure how old the car is and am based in Channel Islands so registration plate won't help)
00 1.6 No ignition - not firing - poppiholla
Turn the engine over, makes a noise like it's turning over for a few seconds, but nothing "catches" - this is further to my previous post >>

it has been serviced
had brand new battery
had the cam sensor replaced

and it is still not firing. Mechanic says it's an electrical problem - does that seem right?

{Merged with your other questions as related}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/12/2009 at 19:11