What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - nottsruss
My mondeo does approx 70k miles pa motorway miles , I seem to get excessive road/wheel noise from the rear , after replacing hub bearing assy , discs , pads its no better. The noise seemed better with new tyres , now after 20k noise is back.Mechanic examined and advised tyres have flat spots on inner edge only , wear fine across tyre.
Advised it could be shock abrsorbers but they are fine.
Iam now running a VW Touran and have exactly the same problem tyres are now wearing flat spots on outer edge...!! as a threepenny bit ( castellating) mechanic advises has seen similar problems , can any body through any light on this problem or rec good tyres for high mileage taxi cars.
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - piston power
High mileage is the key all the bushes wear inc shockers because they don't leak doesn't mean there not worn, what is the mileage? & which car is this vw or mondeo?

Flat spots can be shockers worn springs.
The mondeo coukld have worn parts etc at 210k miles , but the VW Touran has only done 45k and a full set of tyres fitted at 25k but has same noise.
The noise is as though the car has a differential that has done high mileage...!!
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - MorrisOx
If the wear is confined to an edge are you sure this isn't a toe in or toe out adjustment?
daft as it may seem ,as the cars are on the same roads , M1,M40,M25 for 95% of mileage are tyres wearing to road camber...!!!
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - loadsofpugs
What tyres are you using different brands give different road noise
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - MorrisOx
Are you carrying a lot of weight in the back during your motorway miles?
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - bell boy
Are you carrying a lot of weight in the back during your motorway miles?

and clogging it in corners?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2009 at 13:17

03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - Supertramp
Excuse me for chipping in on the thread but our Mondeo also has this annoying drone in the back - we are of the opinion that it could be the Kuhmo tyres......but loathed to change them as they still have life left in them.

Several years ago we had a Orion Ghia that also had a really irritating whine.]

The car has around 70,000 on the clock and is used by elderly parents who potter to the shops and back in it.

they want to chop it for VW Golf.
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - henry k
>>.......but our Mondeo also has this annoying drone in the back - we are of the opinion that it could be the Kuhmo tyres....
>>
I have Kuhmo tyres all round on my MKII Mondeo.
I find them to be very quiet ( especially compared with the FateO tyres it came with.)
I am very impressed with them.

Is it worth swopping fronts to back for a short dry weather run on sensible roads?
This might determine if it is the rear tyres at fault
Henry,

thanks for the response. we will try swapping the tyres from front to back.

Do you think the tyres could take a 'set' if they sit too long, bearing in mind that this car some weeks only does 10 miles - to the shops and back.....it never used to be llike it......shame really because I actually like the car, but the noise does your head in.
03 2.0 Tyre flat spots - turbo11
Your tyres might have worn "out of round".This is a common problem with cheap tyres, as they don't have enough carcass strength. Happened to the already fitted new rear tyres on a Passat estate I purchased years ago. The tyres got louder and louder. I was convinced it was the wheel bearings but no it was the cheap tyres the selling garage had fitted..A new set of Dunlops cured the problem.Try a decent make of tyre like Bridgestone, Michelin,Dunlop, Good year and you certainly won't get that problem.
if the tyres are 'out of round' would putting them on a balancer show it up?
I know it won't cure it.....but give a sign?
have resolved problem life is great with a quiet car...original tyres were Uniroyal rainsport not cheap ..but.. rotational with a 'v' tread pattern.Have just put on a set of Continentals not rotational ( can be fitted on any wheel) with an in line straight tread pattern , they are so quiet. Did lots of home work and these tyres are one of the best around.