Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Rattle
I feel sick. Just got back from a couple of pints with my mates and were talking about cars my mate reckons my car is always in the garage I thought it was reliable so I have added it all up.

I've done 2200 miles in my car since I got it in March but most of it is city miles so heavy wear and tear.

Pretty much order of jobs I have done:-
1) Oil change, new plugs, new air filter, sump tightened, clutch cable adjusted, car greesed. £90
2) Two new rear springs £50 (Ted very kindly did this for me, I just bought the springs)
3) Two new rear tyres (old ones were perfectly legal but side walls had small cracks so replaced them to be sure) £60 for a pair of Barums
4) Two new front brake pads £45 inc labour
5) New front wiper blades £15 inc fitting
6) Two new front springs £156 got ripped off but it was an emergency
7) New catback exhaust £100
8) New MAF sensor (did this myself) £86 for a genuine Bosch
9) Resprayed wheel trims (cosmetic) £6 for the primer and finsih
10) Resprayed wiper arms (cosmetic) £1 paint from £1 land
11) New coolant and brake fluid £25 inc labour
12) New front tyre £45 (emegency)
13) New rear shock absorbers
14) New ball joint
15) New CV boot £156 fir 13, 14 and 15.
16) Some body work treatment done by me just treated a tiny rust spot etc. Free had all the bits in and the Arden blue touch up came with my car.

Jobs to do soon:-
1) Get tracking done
2) Replace another front tryre

Jobs I will do if the car lasts a bit longer
1) See if camshaft bolts need tightening (tip from Bellboy)
2) Fix rear washer
3) Replace coil pack (its original and on 82850 miles)
4) Change gearbox oil

Of course more things will go wrong I kind of wish I had bought a merc 190! but I cannot fault the performance of the 1.2 16v its perfect for the city and I get between 36 and 50mpg depending on the kind of driving I do. Its all dirt cheap to insure (for me) and I get all the luxeries apart from aircon.

Earlier this year before I bought it it had a new bearing and new hand brake cables for the MOT.

I paid £1150 for the car, a V reg 1.2 16V club with most the options, CD player, electric windows and mirrors, rear head rests etc etc its more like a C in terms of spec. I have spent about £600 in repairs for all the above but most of that includes labour.

So thats a total of £829 for repairs. Excuse me I am just going to be sick.

I am now just waiting for the gearbox to fail and a camshaft to snap and that will complete my luck with cars.

I admit some of the above may not have been essential the front springs had snapped but only partial if I left it I doubt it would have caused any problems but I would rather not found out. The tyres all needed replacing. I could have probably got away with a cheaper MAF but my Bosh one did the job first time so no stress.

Moral of the story never buy a supermini with 80k something miles unless it comes with a million receipts.

On the plus side I here of tails of people spending £300 on tyres etc and I now have a pretty much brand new suspension, new tyres and everything works apart from the rare washer.

Could somebody please tell me I have had too much to drink (only 3 pints) and that I have added it all up wrong? I feel a bit sick.
OK £775 the second time. I need my bed :).
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - enfield freddy
just parted with my pergeot 106 , on a y reg , 1.1 engine,

bought car 48000 miles

car written off 23 mths later , milage was 66000 miles,

total cost on repairs/running

1 x MOT
1 x oil and filter change (diy)
1 x wiper blade refill

50 + mpg , and happy at 70mph on the motorway

cheap motoring , just hope I can find another like it
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Simon
Well looking at the extensive list of repairs in 2200 miles I would say that you either bought a knackered clapped out car or you just like having unnecessary work done to it.

I haven't closely followed your trials and tribulations with it, but a quick scan down your list shows amongst many other things four new road springs. How did you manage to require replacement of all four springs? All four surely couldn't be broken and to replace parts that aren't broken is just plain daft.

Also I notice that you replaced two perfectly legal tyres. In my experience some tyre manufacturers products do have a tendancy to show minor cracking on the sidewalls at a relatively early age, unless an MOT tester fails it, then I wouldn't have changed them for that.

If you are going to buy a cheap car then you have to draw a line on maintenance somewhere. You can't just keep randomly replacing parts on it because you will never make it 'just like new'. If it was me I would just run it, service it and only replace parts as they break rather than spend money on it just for the sake of it.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - J Bonington Jagworth
A new luxo-barge could depreciate that much every month. It's all relative... :-)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Lygonos
If you are going to buy a cheap car then you have to draw a line on maintenance somewhere. You can't just keep randomly replacing parts on it because you will never make it 'just like new'. <<

Bingo.

Once you see an 80,000 miles 1.2 Corsa as the white-goods transport it is, you'll find the desire to beggar yourself fades.

Coil pack? wait til it's faulty.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - George Porge
It sounds like you've bought the car up to a good roadworthy condition, you should now reap the rewards.

Fingers X'd

;o)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - perro
Reading this thread makes me realise how come my neighb - who owns 2 garages, has recently had £100,000 of work & extensions done to his house!!
My 05 Almera (30k miles) needs 4 new tyres (Avon ZV5) new front brakes & disc's so, if I sold the car on now, the next owner would face a bill for £4-500 smackeroonies.
I'll wager you'll be part exing that car some time soon, but we've all been there - many, many times in my case, I once had a V8 engine completely rebuilt, only to move the car on soon afterwards :)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - redviper
with my Mk1 Astra i spend countless £££ on it just to keep it on the road, then there came a time when the car failed a mot by filling the garage with blue smoke

So my girlfriends dad and I rebuilt the engine and welded the floor back up, only just to get this Astra back on the road i think with all the money i had spend i could have had a mk2!!!!

it was more a labour of love really, and it was worth it becasue it was my 1st car, and i didnt want anything else - only finally getting rid of it finally died (i think it needed a new carburetter)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - stunorthants26
Well, that kind of spend was predictable on a Rattle owned car lets be honest :-)

Just keep the car now and get your moneys worth - it must be ready for Pebble Beach now surely!
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Cliff Pope
As Dox said, you should fingers crossed now have a good basic car that will start paying you back in terms of economical motoring.
Some of the things are just routine maintenance or expendables, you'd have to spend on any car.
Some seem a bit of bad luck, but not too bad.
Some do seem a bit unneccesary or the result of premature replacement.

I've only ever bought cars in the lower price range. 40 years ago I regarded £10 as a lot, then in the 80s £100 seemed so, now £1000 is about my bench mark.
My strategy has always been:

1) Buy an unfashionable car that I like.
2) Go purely on condition, ignoring mileage etc.
3) Aquire practical knowledge, experience, confidence in yourself, so that you understand what you are looking at and can make a reasonable assumption about what faults might exist, and cost of fixing, preferably within your own practical capability.
4) Discount running costs and expendables. OK, if it's got bald tyres you negotiate accordingly, but otherwise accept that they do wear and you just need to replace them
5) Don't rush into buying new components just as a way of diagnosing faults. If someone says it "might" need a new coil pack, get a secondhand one or borrow a known good one for a trial.
6) Some servicing pays off, but too much "just in case" doesn't. There is no cause to be worried about a timing belt. Either you have a clear record of when it was last changed, or you don't. If you don't know, read up how to do it yourself.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - TheOilBurner
Excellent advice Cliff.

One more thing I would add: don't jump ship too soon. Too many people look at the cost of a repair vs the value of the car and scrap without thinking. What they should be looking at is the cost of a repair vs the cost of buying another car you can trust and getting it sorted, which is often a lot more than the value of the car you have!
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Lud
Rattle, I have commented before on your apparent extravagance.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Number_Cruncher
It's time to use the car a bit more, and fret about it a bit less.

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - George Porge
[Small ad]

"Starts every time" "reliable"

Which basically means they've just jumped in and drove it, maintained it to a minimum MOT standard and once a year at that.

Then an enthusiast comes along and can't live with bouncy suspension and vague steering and spends a few bob on it so that it drives as it should.

Look after it as you have done and it will last many years.

As above, cars that do little mileage never drive as well as one that sees a good blow out occasionally
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Andrew-T
Exactly, Dox. Even from a 'garage' any car you buy will need work doing if you are inclined to be fastidious :-). Sellers of cars don't fix everything that needs fixing and then sell. The important thing is that having spent the money, you don't just get bored when the jobs run out, and start again on a 'new' one.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - bathtub tom
>>3) Replace coil pack (its original and on 82850 miles)

I wouldn't have thought this is a service item.

Have you any experience of them having a service life?

I wouldn't change an item like this unless it failed. Would you change a bulb because it had reached a certain age? Perhaps this is partly the reason for your motoring being expensive!
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - SpamCan61 {P}
>>3) Replace coil pack (its original and on 82850 miles)
I wouldn't have thought this is a service item.
Have you any experience of them having a service life?
I wouldn't change an item like this unless it failed. Would you change a bulb
because it had reached a certain age? Perhaps this is partly the reason for your
motoring being expensive!

I've never had to change a coil pack on any of my 100K plus bangernomics Vauxhalls, even at 160K+ miles. I put 30K a year on them; buy them for 1300 quid or less and can't recall ever spending more than 500 quid worst case in a year keeping one going. Of course I don't expect them to ride or handle like new. They do always start first time though with one exception in the last 6 years when the fuel pump relay went on a Vectra..
The only reason I suspect the coil pack is there is sometimes a very slight judder in 3rd if I put too much gas on. However it is only very occassional and I would not change the coil pack unless it got worse and it over coil pack symptons developed.

Most of my list is probably labour but at the same time my garage is cheap and I do shop around for parts too if I do work myself.

Spam and yes I have been thinking of replacing my brake lights! But that is just pence.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - jbif
Rattle I have commented before on your apparent extravagance. >>

;-) Lud :- Didn't someone (Mapmaker?) once refer to the problems with Rattle's various cars as a manifestation of "factitious disorder by motoring" ("MBP syndrome")?

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Downesi1
TBH it sounds like wear and tear to me, it happends to all cars of a certain age or mileage.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Bill Payer
Never mind the money, but how much time has the OP spent on his car, plus all the fretting?

This is why I buy new cars. Our Honda Jazz depreciated £1000 per year over 6 years and had nothing more than routine dealer servicing (£160 most years), 4 MOT's and 4 tyres, and a set of windscreen wipers.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Stuartli
...or what you presumably assumed was a reliable car...:-)

But the greater the year and mileage, the more the probabliity that problems are likely to surface.

Just because the car has what you feel is an excellent specification doesn't mean it will also prove more reliable...:-(
Most the above has been essential I need to keep my licence clean 6 points and I am banned plus retest. I would have thought a cracking tyre which needed air every week, leaking shocks and snapped springs were quite essential :).

I do not currently have a spare because its punctured and I am not sorting it till a few more weeks now to try and spread the constant payments out.

I think the front springs could have waited as only about 3 inches had snapped of the bottom of each but it was for a 400 mile round trip so I would not have been happy leaving it in case one completly snapped and caused a blow out at 70mph.

New cars are fine but for me the APR would be so high it wouldn't make much savings and if something bad went wrong I could loose £1000's. At least with my Corsa a new engine is £200 and I know people I could pay a couple of pony's to (Hyundai sort of otherwise) and they will fit it.

The chasis is basically solid.

I will keep my car till as longs as possible unless I am in a situation to suddenly buy a newer car.
but how much time has the OP spent on his car, plus all the fretting? >>

Indeed. Nothing new as it applies to all Rattle's cars since he joined the forum.
Some of the above is due to the appalling roads where I live. Any local garage will tell you they are changing springs daily and the Corsa is also very prone to spring damage.

Sort of off topic but my friends dread me going in their cars. I was in my friends Clio the other day and I pointed out one of her wheel bearings sounded like it was on its last legs. No doubt she will get that fixed at MOT time next year by which point the wheel will be nearly falling off.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Lud
my friends dread me going in their cars

I look forward to giving you a lift across town Rattle. You could listen carefully for the sound of my car's wheel bearings over the scream of the engine, the crashing of ill-coordinated gearchanges, the clonking of suspension stretched beyond its design capacities, the constant squealing of tyres, the occasional clang of metal, my own high-volume stream of ingenious obscenities and your own moans of terror.

It isn't every day one has the privilege of a passenger with real mechanical sympathy.

:o}
Lud, it's not often I laugh out loud..:-)

Remember though that with this particular passenger, you would always hear a rattle whether the journey is short or long.....:-)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - old crocks
I think there are four categories of motorists.

1 No idea about cars/no money - they just drive them til they stop working,then worry.
2 No idea about cars/got money - they regularly give excess money to the garages, but don't worry.
3 Understand cars/got money - they don't get ripped off too often and don't worry.
4 Understand cars/no money - they either behave like group 1 or worry all the time like Rattle.

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - pda
No, there is a fifth type too:)

I really don't care what car I drive as long as it starts first time after being parked in the yard in mid winter for a week, and gets me from A to B.
So that's me banned from the backroom now!

Pat
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - David Horn
>> my friends dread me going in their cars
I look forward to giving you a lift across town Rattle. You could listen carefully
for the sound of my car's wheel bearings over the scream of the engine the
crashing of ill-coordinated gearchanges the clonking of suspension stretched beyond its design capacities the constant
squealing of tyres the occasional clang of metal my own high-volume stream of ingenious obscenities
and your own moans of terror.
It isn't every day one has the privilege of a passenger with real mechanical sympathy.
:o}

Damn straight. I just turn up the radio to cover any noises I don't like.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Mapmaker
>>I've done 2200 miles in my car since I got it in March but most of it is city miles so
>>heavy wear and tear.

Codswallop. 220,000 miles in a city would be heavy wear and tear. Didn't you do 400 miles going to Wales? That leaves 1800 miles. At 15mph that's 120 hours. Or 3 hours a week since March.

What are you driving? A Model T Ford?

You should be thinking about having the cylinders rebored at that sort of mileage.

3-4 hours a week is about average I would have thought. Done two trips to Southport (100 mile ish round trip) and the Wales trip was 400 miles.

One thing I have learnt is how useless the MOT is. My dads car passed the MOT with broken bushes and a failed CV joint for the example (all since fixed).

Apart from oil changes I the previous owners just got some MOT things done like the hand brake cable so that is why I am replacing so many parts now. Most the car was original.

I go over a lot of speed bumps etc.

I think it is a combination of bad luck, over maintance and general wear and tear. I have leaernt a lot lessons over this and next time I won't buy an older car unless it comes with all the receipts.

If I bought a brand new car it would probably have a leaking head gasket on delivery.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Mapmaker
>>I have leaernt a lot lessons over this and next time I won't buy an older car unless it
>>comes with all the receipts.

I agree. It's good to know you've bought a lemon before you buy it. Having the evidence makes it easier to be sure you are buying one.

I did get the car checked out though by a mechanic before I bought it. He did find some niggle faults such a minor oil leak and a faulty clutch cable but said it would cost nothing for him to fix them. I think he was mainly concerned with the engine and bodywork and touch would they have been fine.

Its a ten year car and its very solid underneath so a lemon it probably isn't it. It is probably one of the better ten year old cars out there. I just didn't realise how much work it would need and that is what I have learnt. If a supermini has 80k and the bills are not there for common wear and tear parts then you will have to replace them most likely.
... It's good to know you've bought a lemon before you buy it. .. >>

Mapmaker - when Rattle bought the car in March, you wrote:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=73527&...e
"... (I'm a bit miffed, what will I read all day?) ... "

Well there has been plenty to read since then, and there will probably be a lot more, so you need not have worried!
;-)

Edited by jbif on 22/10/2009 at 19:54

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - bristol01
You might now get 20k miles without further major expense. In the meantime I'd find myself a decent indy garage which wouldn't rip me off.
In the meantime I'd find myself a decent indy garage which wouldn't rip me off. >>

Rattle has always had someone he refers to as "my mechanic" who apparently tells him that the work is not needed, but Rattle volunteers to get it done nevertheless. As Rattle has said himself previously in other threads, he drives his friends and relatives mad with his paranoia.

I am currently writing a book, that is already longer than War and Peace, which tells the story of Rattle's never ending war with his cars, beer and money. ;-)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - slowdown avenue
have never known a failed gearbox on these just linkage . but you will need a lambda sensor egr vavle and idle control valve before you reach 100.k
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - CGNorwich
If you go on spending at this rate your car will be costing 1,600 per year in repairs alone for an annual mileage in the region of 4,500. Factor in petrol, say 500. tax and insurance another 1,000 and depreciation say 500 and your car is costing you around 3,100 per annum. That's around 75p per mile. Hardly worth it for the stress it evidently causes you. I'd get rid if i were you. A bike and the occasional taxi would be far cheaper
If this level of spending continues I will get rid of it and go and do some silly university course in some other city and live like a proper student (something I missed the first time round as I lived at home).

Maybe I could do a masters at the university of Bums on Seat in the county of Nonshire.

As for the faults before 100k the camshaft sensor has already been done but I suspect the EGR will fail but I may just get it blanked.

All seems to be running well again :)

Depreciation is the only saving grace here, I reckon my car has lost £100 in value since I bought it since there is now a massive shortage of cheap small cars with power steering.

Already had the idle control tested a few months back and it was working perfectly :) this was when we were trying to diagnose what was causing the power loss (was the MAF).

Edited by Rattle on 22/10/2009 at 20:34

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - stunorthants26
It is fantastic entertainment for us all, long live Rattle, the saviour of the motor parts industry ( and 'his' mechanic ). :-)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - sajid
rattle should have bought a jap car they go forever i had a astra 94 model and replaced things on it when it failed, at a certain age 10+ years for a car it starts to get expensive to run as mechanical parts tend to wear out, in your case rattle sell it and get a more reliable model, dont fall for it emotionally, i kept that astra for 8 years, and it was time for it to go and now own a jazz cost me nothing on parts at all
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Simon
>>I did get the car checked out though by a mechanic before I bought it. He did find
>>some niggle faults such a minor oil leak and a faulty clutch cable...

So how did this mechanic miss four broken springs, two cracked tyres, worn out front brake pads, knackered exhaust system, leaking rear shock absorbers, a worn ball joint and a knackered cv boot??? Surely all of these faults couldn't have developed in just 2200 miles???
Depreciation is the only saving grace here I reckon my car has lost £100 in
value since I bought it since there is now a massive shortage of cheap small
cars with power steering.

That's always the mantra to chant when spending money on an older car; they may or may not need money spending on repairs, but a newer car will depreciate with 99% certainty.
Yep if I sold it now I reckon I could get £1k on the private market I've seen local dealers wanted £1400+ for these and mine would be easier to sell due to the electric heated mirrors, windows, cd player and other bits not typical standard till around 2005 on a small car.

I just need to get these repairs down so hopefully if I do sell it the would have cost me less than £1k for a years motoring in total. Not great but could be far worse. Factor that insurance is extremely cheap on this car compared with anything else I tried (its £20 a month cheaper than a similar Fiesta) and the good MPG it could be very cheap if it wasn't for all these small jobs which add up.

Edited by Rattle on 22/10/2009 at 21:09

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - CGNorwich
By what species of maths do you get to figure of £1k per annum if you have already spent £775 on repairs in 6 months?
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Pugugly
Man Maths !
... what species of maths do you get to figure of £1k per annum .. >>

see example here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79321&...e

p.s. see my first post in this thread and smell the coffee.

good time to sell it rattle and you could upgrade your hifi and buy a another car like a vw passat my cousin bought one a 2004 1.9 tdi pd 100 with 120k on the clock highline model for £3150 its got the lot full leather seats heated just need to open up your options rattle, a corsa is a small car, its a corsa
A car like that would cost far too much to insure though :) Even now its still over £700 so many high risk elements count against me. I tried to insure a 1.6 Volvo as a joke once they wanted £1000s.

I am just keeping it, I know what is wrong with it which is more than I would with another car :).

As with my HIFI I am not upgrading that for a while either :). After spending a small fortune got it sounding just right. Thankfully I don't listen to music while driving or that would be more car expensive (e.g to upgrade those horrible Opel speakers)

Edited by Rattle on 22/10/2009 at 21:27

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - zookeeper
Thankfully I don't listen to music
while driving or that would be more car expensive (e.g to upgrade those horrible Opel
speakers)

too busy listening to knocks, bangs, and whirring noises by the sounds of things
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - zookeeper
rattle, when you scrap it let me know please, my mate needs some bits for his corsa...cheers
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - DP
This is going to make someone a fantastic buy when you're done with it Rattle. I doubt there are many 2001 Corsas which have this kind of time, effort and cash lavished on them.

I've always run older / higher mileage cars unless someone else (employer) is paying the bills. When you're driving something worth £2k ish or less, you have to form a kind of detachment from it. Keep it serviced, address any safety critical items immediately, but ignore / live with anything else that doesn't affect the car's ultimate reliability or useability. If any of the gadgetry in my S60 packed up, I seriously doubt I would bother getting it fixed (air-con and stereo are the only things I couldn't live without). It's a £1500 car that's still only worth £1500 with everything in working order, or maybe £1300 with something silly not working properly. I paid £2500 for the car nearly two years ago and I've done 30,000 trouble free miles, so it owes me not a penny. Two services, a set of tyres, an engine mount and a couple of bulbs. Nothing else whatsoever.

If I was being picky I'd have changed the dampers all round by now (although they seem to be fine, they're clearly going to be past their best at 150k) and I'd have got the scuffs on the bumper resprayed, as well as the dink in the back door, but I'll never see that investment again, and in day to day use it makes not a jot of difference to the car. The clutch judders occasionally when hot, but hasn't got worse and works perfectly 99.99% of the time. I'm happy to ignore it. There's an odd clonk from the rear suspension, but no obvious wear anywhere. I'm happy to ignore it until it gets picked up on an MOT or service. It has on neither to date.

It still drives well, it's roadworthy, and it's reliable. Beyond that, I really don't care. I leave worrying to people who've spent five figure sums and hope to see as much of it back as possible. One of the joys of driving a cheap car is that you don't need to stress about this stuff. Drive it and enjoy it, but don't worry about it.

Cheers
DP

>>Done two trips to Southport >>

Don't tell me I've twice missed the opportunity to see this wonderful car with my own eyes...:-(
Here is a fairly recent picture, you can see it is in good nick for its age.

tinyurl.com/yjw9vk8

All I've done is sorted out the graying plastic trim, given it a lot of washes and resprayed the wheel trims. Little things like that keep the car looking good and costs nothing. I also only spend time on it when I have nothing to do e.g I am bored.

I think because I do little things like that do I form an attachment to it. If it was a newer car I would have no excuse to go looking in the pound shop for that £1 bargain primer spray. There are a very minor scratches and a few minor paint blemishes but every ten year old car has them really no point and I am just living with them.

Edited by Rattle on 22/10/2009 at 22:36

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - DP
Just prompted me to check my maintenance spend on my S60 in nearly 2 years and 30k

Including four new Pirelli P6000's, one MOT test fee, the 132,000 and 144,000 mile services (followed the Volvo schedule to the letter, 132k one done by a mechanic friend at mate rate, and I did the 144k one - genuine Volvo service parts used throughout), the engine mount (DIY) oh and the front pads and discs I changed at the 144k service which I'd forgotten about (DIY using Mintex discs and pads - the Volvo discs alone were nearly twice the price of the Mintex pad and disc kit!)

Anyway, my receipts for the above add up to £632.63!

Rattle if the insurance is more expensive get it done under your dad name, if you spent £826 on it then its not a reliable car, a reliable car wuldnt need that much expense, there the scrappage allowance, maybe you can take that advantage and get a newer car that has better safety, ie more airbags, more toys, its a mk1 corsa isnt it rattle, the chassis was carried over from the nova and some of its engines are carried over like the 1.4 from the astra, as for hifi rattle, for me i done the upgrade, roksan kandy amp, cd, from the marantz separates, big jump in sound quality, a worthwhile upgrade :)
>>..get it done under your dad name..>>

Not to be recommended if you wish to build up your own no claims bonus.

In any case Rattle is now around 42-45 years of age, so the insurance company might be a bit suspicious...:-)
You cheeky monkey! I am on the right side of 27 :).

It is my own name for two reasons
1) It is ilegal and known as fronting, if found out I would be banned.
2) I get my own no claims bonuses :)

Edited by Rattle on 23/10/2009 at 01:57

>>It is ilegal and known as fronting, if found out I would be banned.>>

It's not illegal - both my offspring were listed on my insurance as the main driver of my then second car during the individual time each had access to it, but eventually sensibly decided to build up their own NCP.

However, if it is done to deceive an insurance company, then there would be a different reaction.

Glad you appreciated my little joke...:-)

You'll need to keep that NCP going to pay for all those repairs though.....

Edited by Stuartli on 23/10/2009 at 02:15

But its my car, I am the main driver telling the insurance otherwise is a lie and amounts to fraud in simple terms. I used to be a named driver on my dads car before got insurance for my self which allows me to drive any car with the owners permision. This was perfectly legal as it was my dads car and I hardly drove it.
>>But its my car, I am the main driver telling the insurance otherwise is a lie and amounts to fraud in simple terms>>

I fully appreciate that - the original reply was to the misguided advice given by sajid.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Blue {P}
Or, rather than trying to address the symptoms by getting rid of the car, why not get the actual problem treated and sort out your paranoia, it'll do you the power of good believe me! :-)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - Cliff Pope
6) Understand cars, have money if needed, but enjoy looking after a chosen few cherished cars and only reluctantly resort to paying anyone else to fix them.
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - bristol01
why not get the actual problem treated and sort out your paranoia

he could get a Corsa of antibiotics - he'd rattle even more then. Ho ho.

Sorry - it is the end of a long week.

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - The Gingerous One
The only thing I can think of is that is madness. My personal opinion.

I have a 4 yr old Mazda 6, I bought 4 new tyres when I bought it a year ago and I only expect to have it serviced once a year, which will cost me ~£250. I expect to keep the car for 3 years, so will have spent around £750 on servicing in that time and done around 36k miles. Job Done. The tyres will be a bit thin by then so they may need replacing prior to sale, though I could swap the front and rears instead to save money...Nnnnerrrrr.

At it's last service mind, the dealer recommended that both rear calipers were replaced to which I politley declined. The rear brakes still work after all. The MoT tester agreed with me 2 months later when it flew through it's MoT (as you'd expect).

In the past I have bought cars for £100 without MoT, got them through the Mot (~£200) and then changed the oil and cambelt and checked the brake pads. job done, drove it for a year (12-15k) then threw them away come next MoT. Now that was cheap, hailariously so.

Coolant change at this price level ? Joking, just pour some anti-freeze into the system, it'll be alright (it always was).

cheers
Stu
The one thing I have learnt though is that there are MOTs and there are roadworthyness. MOT inspectors miss a lot. My dads passed with split rear axle bushes, a completly failed CV joint and advisory on the front wishbone. All needed to replaced very soon after the MOT.

The work I have done was mostly labour.

Three tyres 1) cracking badly 2) was over ten years old, 3) had a nail in it and has a ditch finder down to 2.5mm

MAF sensor - Car was hardly drive able as it kept loosing power

CV boot - well it would have been stupid to leave it, would have ended up needing a new joint

Springs - Ok the two front ones had only lost a tiny bit so maybe these did not need doing urgently. However I was about to go on a 400 mile trip down sorts of roads I have never driven down before anything which affected my handeling could have caused me to enter a ditch.

Shocks - I had left this for a while but when I had a free safety check down they found the shocks to be leaking

Exhaust - my old one fell of, a lot of short journeys rust them out quick, my needs them yearly.

I don't like bangers I never feel save knowing the sills are made of rust etc. I always like to keep my cars to MOT standard all year round, after all its what my insurance terms and conditions state.

I may be spending a lot on repairs but my car is probably saver than a newer 5-8 year old car which is subject to MOT only servicing.

Edited by Rattle on 23/10/2009 at 13:48

Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - L'escargot
Just got back from a couple of pints with my mates

Could somebody please tell me I have had too much to drink (only 3 pints)
and that I have added it all up wrong?

Well, you've certainly added up the number of pints all wrong!
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - bell boy
Whitbread (big head) Trophy Bitter,
The pint that thinks it’s a quart!
It’s got the body, the body that satisfies
It can’t be modest no matter how it tries
’Cos it’s the Whitbread Bitter, Trophy Bitter —
The best that you ever bought (give him a trophy)
Whitbread, Whitbread, Trophy Bitter
The pint that thinks it’s a quart!
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - OldSock
"The pint that thinks it's a quart!"

Let's not forget "A Double Diamond works wonders" or "Roll out the (Watney's Red) barrel"

Party Sevens, eh? :-)
LOL, first thing that came into my head when I read bb's post was 'Party Sevens' :-)
Spent £826 on repairs this year on a reliable car - pda
Arr, leave him alone!:)

Pat