04 1.6 rear brakes - ron,edin
hi ron from edinburgh here, am trying to sort the rear brake pads on a ford c-max 04, 1.6. Can anyone tell me how you retract the brake cylinder after changing the old brake pads for new ones

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/10/2009 at 01:22

04 1.6 rear brakes - Dynamic Dave
I suspect you'll need a windback tool that both rotates and pushes the piston back in at the same time.
Failure to rotate the piston whilst retracting it will lead to damaging the caliper and piston.
04 1.6 rear brakes - cheddar
On my Mondeo it can be done with a very large allen key though one caliper winds in clockwise and the other anti clockwise and it is important to know which. The C-Max might be the same though I think I have heard that there is a special tool available from Ford parts depts.

A Haynes manual would be a good investement.
04 1.6 rear brakes - Chris M
There is no Haynes manual for the CMax.

You need a wind back tool. Both sides are clockwise. You will also need an adaptor (No 18)to fit the CMax. Look on the Laser tools website.

The tools will cost around £30 - £35, which is why I got my local garage to do mine last week as I didn't think it worth the investment.
04 1.6 rear brakes - macavity
cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOCUS-C-MAX-RS-MONDEO-TRANSIT-BRAKE...0

no idea of the quality of this product.
Halfords do windback tools but the fitting might not be suitable.
When using the tool slacken off the bleed nipple, to avoid pushing the fluid back against the master cylinder. Mastercylinders can cope with some abuse but best not chance it by damaging the seals in it.