What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
spraying the underbody with used engine oil - dieseldogg
Some say its environmentally unfriendly, blagh blagh blagh
Misted on thro a paint spray gun, very little needed
I say its recycling ( reduce , reuse etc etc)
it works too.
Is this because the acidic nature of used engine oil "pickles" the rusting steel?
jat
M

{made non make/model specific as could apply to any car and not just a Ford Galaxy}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/10/2009 at 10:53

spraying the underbody with used engine oil - idle_chatterer
OK, I'm sticking my neck out but I have to ask 'why bother' ?

30 years ago maybe but is rust such a big problem for your car (maybe you live near the seaside) ? I'd formed the impression of late that standard rustproofing meant that bodywork generally outlasts the mechanicals on modern cars, all with a design life of (say) 100K miles ?

Does the oil not act as something for mud / salt / whatever else to stick to, also - does it not smell ?

spraying the underbody with used engine oil - FotheringtonThomas
modern cars all with a design life of (say) 100K miles ?

That's not very many for a modern car!
spraying the underbody with used engine oil - CGNorwich
Although you may discount the environmental view used engine oil does contain some very nasty toxic substances so I wouldn't want to be spraying it around for my own health
spraying the underbody with used engine oil - DP
As a motorcyclist, this procedure alarms me.
spraying the underbody with used engine oil - martint123
I was discussing this very point with my MOT man while waiting for the "VOSA time" to expire.
He said he has seen plenty of surface rust on suspension components like wishbones (not a problem as yet) on cars at their first MOT and was surprised a little. The biggest snag with spraying used engine oil on these (and it does seems to work well) is that it is difficult to keep it off bushes and they rot rapidly with oil on them.

On his own main vehicle (old landy) he sprays old diff oil all over the underside and reckons it sticks there at least a full year.
spraying the underbody with used engine oil - dieseldogg
Erm
I did say very little used, ie misted on
So NO drips for Motorcyclists to worry about
Ps
I did once see the result of a burst hydraulic pipe on an agricultural trailer
sprayed the front crib, which was just beginning to rust
It stayed there ( the oil ) for a goodly no of years
spraying the underbody with used engine oil - Ben 10
Does it not attract dust and salt like a magnet ?
I would also think the heat of the exhaust/cat and the engine would burn a lot of it off.
spraying the underbody with used engine oil - FotheringtonThomas
Some say its environmentally unfriendly

It'll bio-degrade in reasonable time. Very skin-unfriendly, though, it contains cancer-causing substances, not a problem with slight occasional exposure, can be a killer for "mechanics", etc.

Misted on thro a paint spray gun very little needed

Could be beneficial if it seeps into the cracks.

Is this because the acidic nature of used engine oil "pickles" the rusting steel?

Probably because it's a barrier against both oxygen and water.