What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Missfire at 1100-1200 rpm - taximark
I bought a new mondeo march 2008. I noticed after a few weeks it had a missfire between 1100 and 1200 rpm, the car has been back to main dealers between 10 and 12 times to be re programmed on the computer, during this time ford technical took up the case and kept telling me to go back to the main dealers to try again.
To cut a long story short ford technical now say they have checked many 1.8 tdci cars out and they all have the same problem and say they cant do anything about it its just a characteristic of the vehicle.can anybody advise what I can do now.
Thanks
Mark

Wavering between putting this in Tech or leaving it here...

Edited by Pugugly on 11/10/2009 at 18:05

Missfire at 1100-1200 rpm - craig-pd130
There is a software update for the engine management on the 1.8 TDCI, look in the car by car guide and it tells you what you need there.

For what it's worth I wouldn't drive at those rpm regularly because of the stresses it would induce in the dual-mass flywheel, but the engine shouldn't misfire.

Also from experience with my own 2.0TDCI, intercooler and engine breather hoses were not fitted anything like as securely as they should be ... poor assembly-line work. Rectifying these has made a BIG difference to performance, response etc on mine.

The majority of dealers (yes, I know some switched-on dealers might, but these are VERY few and far between IMHO) will never check things like these in a million years of looking, so you really are best doing it yourself.

Feel around the intercooler hose joints to make sure the hoses are pushed fully onto spigots and the clips are secure. Also check the main engine breather hoses as these were not secure on mine. A set of pliers and a 7mm ring spanner and the odd skinned knuckle is all you need.

I don't know the underbonnet layout of the 1.8 vs the 2.0TDCi so can't guide you exactly where to look, but it IS worth checking these points.
Missfire at 1100-1200 rpm - taximark
has ford not got an obligation to sort this out,because they know all the 1.8ltr engines have this fault on,
Your correct regarding driving at such low revs, when im in neutral and press my accelarator thats when the missfire happens and also when sat at lights balancing the clutch,I am really looking for some legal advise because ford does not want to know about the problem.
Thanks
Missfire at 1100-1200 rpm - Blue {P}
It's probably not the same engine but I had a Focus 1.8 TDCi (the MK 1.5) and it had the same misfire at the same revs, it was common across most of them and I never got it really sorted. They did a software update which just made the car flat quite honestly.

Good luck!

Edited by Blue {P} on 13/10/2009 at 00:35

Missfire at 1100-1200 rpm - the swiss tony
Is this a misfire, or a flatspot?
4 years ago I was driving a lot of different cars, for the used car side of the dealer I was working for, and nearly all Mondeo, and Mazda 6 TD's had a flatspot at 1100-1300 rpm.
TBO I hated driving them in traffic as there was little or no power just where you wanted it, pulling away in traffic (ie just on biting point of the clutch)
some were 'flatter' than others, and required far to much clutch slippage to prevent stalling in heavy traffic....
I remember when 'real' diesels would pull you up a brick wall at tickover......... ;-)