What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Bill Payer
Reading today's Telegraph there are tales of woe from VAG & BMW owners about problems just out of warranty, and there's even a thread in Technical about a Honda which needed expensive repairs. Issues with various Vauxhall models are legion, and I even recently saw a comment about a Lexus which had destroyed its clutch and Lexus were being unhelpful.

For our family, I like to buy cars new (or very nearly new) and keep them for 5-6 years, covering perhaps 50-60K miles. I'll pay for dealer servicing, tyres etc, but I don't expect to have anything go wrong.

Is there a brand which is considered "bomb-proof"?
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Cheeky
Most modern cars should do this if treated well and serviced properly. Abused ones and the odd bad egg won't . Remember, forums, as well as encouraging motoring debate, will be where posters post their problems. Therefore, one tends to assume that certain makes are rife with issues which often is not the case.
Buy well, choose wisely, and look after it taking reasonable strides in maintenance (and warranty issues if need be!) and it should serve you well. For your mileage I would go for a good petrol engine and in particular avoid diesels with DPF.

Edited by Cheeky on 26/09/2009 at 22:21

Therefore one tends to assume that certain makes are rife with issues which often is not >> the case.

Certainly HJ in the Telegraph suggested the VW (and group) issue with ABS system failure is widespread to the extent that used car dealers might start writing down p/x values in case they get landed with a big bill on resale.

I realise that complicated machinery can go wrong - what I'd like to see if manufacturers holding their hands up and footing the bill. This business of 20% or 33% "goodwill" is ridiculous - all this does is reduce the cost to about what the job would cost at an indie anyway.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - the swiss tony
Not these days...a friend even had so much trouble with a Honda, it was subject to a buy-back with no financial loss to him.
a few years ago that would have been unknown with the excellent build quality they once had.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - NowWheels
In general, dependability seems to translate as Japanese.

Subaru and Toyota always seem to come out well, and although Toyota seems to have had a few glitches recently, they still seem to be ahead of the pack.

But if you want something "bomb-proof", buy a reinforced concrete bunker, not a car. Cars are complicated bits of engineering, with thousands of parts and hundreds of points of failure. They are used in ways that put high stress on them (lots of cold starts etc), they aren't always maintained well, and they are all built down to a price (tho some more than others).

Some makes do seem to be more reliable than others, but those are only averages. It seems that all brands produce some lemons; some much more than others, but there's always a chance that you could be one of the rare unlucky ones. The best you can do is to minimise your chances of trouble by getting a proven model from a manufacturer with a good track record ... and keep your fingers crossed.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Avant
The satisfaction surveys (e.g. J.D. Power, Auto Express, Which?) can't be ignored as they deal with cars of varying ages. They seem consistently to show most but not all Japanese makes plus Skoda giving the most satisfaction - reliability being a crucial component of this.

I presume that Skoda come out way ahead of the other VAG brands largely because their dealers are mostly family-owned and actually care about their customers.

The Japanese success is to some extent due to their policy of apportioning more of the cost of a car to reliable mechanical and (particularly) electronic components, rather than to soft-feel plastics inside.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Marc
A 91H Mercedes 1.8 190E, a 99V Toyota RAV4 2.0 auto and a 53 Vectra 2.0T are three that (personally) meet your criteria.

All looked after by me and main dealer serviced on time. The Vectra had one issue quickly resolved under warranty.

I have had other cars in between that didn't fare so well...

Edited by Marc on 26/09/2009 at 23:24

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Falkirk Bairn
I would have to vote Honda, Mazda & Toyota - however as you only buy a handful of cars in a period of a few years you might get a problem with 1.

That said I have had Japanese (Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota) for 14 years (all new or less than 2,000 miles) and other than warranty repairs which are modest (but still annoying) I have spent very little on 5 Japanese cars in REPAIRS (exclude tyres, exhaust, brakes etc.) Probably £1500 in 14 years. Mileages around 25,000 /year until 3/4 yrs ago now 10K/year.

Contrast 1 x Mercedes C Class 1997 just out of warranty where fuel pump fitted was £800 / Wiper motor fitted £500 - the next thing to go was the C Class!

Best was Honda - why do I not have a Honda today? Franchise who will remain nameless tried to rip me off for £1500+ repairs to a 92,000 mile car (owned from new)- looked at by AN Other Honda dealer (@Honda UK expense) who said the disks were thinning but OK and I needed 2 tyres in the near future - the 1st garage said there were disks, pads, suspension bushes, AC Condenser............................kept the car another 15 months - serviced & topped up the AC with fluid, 2 tyres then sold it!
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Alby Back
I'd have thought, perhaps naively, that most modern cars kept properly maintained would give 5 or 6 years more or less trouble free use easily over 60k miles. Except 2.2d Espaces of course.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - davecuk
I suppose based on your criteria, willingness to have main dealer servicing and if you are not brand concious....Hyundai or possibly Kia. 5 and 7 year warranties respectively. I have a Hyundai and I think it's 5 years and 100,000 miles. In the top 6 for reliability anyway, so I presume there are not too many problems....not a brand name car I suppose, but it does the job, is well equipped and value for money.

My other car is a Honda Civic, nearly 8 years old now and it's never missed a beat or needed any repairs....I just couldn't afford another Honda this time round.

Edited by davecuk on 27/09/2009 at 00:18

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - gordonbennet
Agree Dave, i read HJ's appraisal of the facelifted Ceed tonight, seems the body work warranty goes up from 10 to 12 years and 7 years bumper to bumper normal warranty.

Impresses the hell out of me, i already like what i've seen of them underneath.

Interesting thread this BP and one i could have asked too, we seem to have vehicles designed to last the warranty period with minimal servicing purely to make them attractive to the fleet market.
I often wonder if the manufacturers design their vehicles to become increasingly expensive to maintain as they approach 7 or so years deliberately.

With all the dubious expensive fitments now becoming so common, dmf, dpf, automated manuals, leccy handbrakes etc many cars made in the last 3 years will i'm certain be on the scrap heap by 7 or 8 declared uneconomic repair...of course that could change as we are seeing increased costs of used cars.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - gmac
With all the dubious expensive fitments now becoming so common dmf dpf automated manuals leccy
handbrakes etc many cars made in the last 3 years will i'm certain be on
the scrap heap by 7 or 8 declared uneconomic repair...of course that could change as
we are seeing increased costs of used cars.

Interestingly aircon is not mentioned. I've just had the aircon serviced on my 5 years old next Tuesday Volvo. Down 25% on gas. I had a previous FIAT done at the same mileage though younger, no gas and a bill on the warranty to fix.
Is aircon considered a serviceable item or should it just last fifteen years like a kitchen fridge though it operates in a very hostile environment ?
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Number_Cruncher
>>will i'm certain be on the scrap heap by 7 or 8 declared uneconomic repair

We're doomed,.... doomed I tell ye!!

Needless to say, I have a slightly more optimistic outlook!

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - gordonbennet
Needless to say I have a slightly more optimistic outlook!

Maybe people like yourself will be able to take advantage of the situation and buy such cars cheaply and rebuild them yourselves...may even be viable new small industries spring up doing presicely that, ass uming they can get the information referred to on another thread.

Not so sure how many normal owners of DSG, DPF equpped cars on the blink will fare so well.

I don't seem to recall you being in too much of a hurry to embrace all this must have new technology on your own transport.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Number_Cruncher
I'm of the opinion that these teething troubles will settle down GB. The manufacturers who don't overcome these problems will suffer when compared to those who do - the news travels fast these days.

People were saying similar doom laden things at the introduction of many of the technologies that most people now take for granted, and don't worry about too much (well, apart from the most Luddite among us!)

As for our cars, I can't bring myself to want that generation of 16v Vauxhall engines, and so, SWMBO's Astra is an 8 valve, and my W124 is my concession to automotive deviance - SWMBO would not release the funds for a newer car, and I certainly wouldn't want a rotting W210.

I'm sure that before too long, cars fitted with these new technologies will sit on our drive.
>>many cars made in the last 3 years will i'm certain be on
the scrap heap by 7 or 8 declared uneconomic repair...of course that could change as
we are seeing increased costs of used cars.

I agree Gordon... round here (thames valley) you see more P R S T cars than you do 51 02 52....
early Merc A classes are getting rare, and i see more late E36's than early E46's.... that to me speaks volumes.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Rattle
I think how it has been treated is more important than any brand.

That said round were I live you still see loads of 12-13 year old Fiestas/Corsas. My dads Ford is an R reg when I was bord I typed in a range of my dads plate between and 100 e.g Rxxx AAA where AAA are the letters. All of them came up as a Ford and within that range only 8 of them had been scrapped. That means that on average only 8% of 12 year old Fords are off scrapped, considering half that would have been written off it means 4% had been scrapped due to not worthing fixing/scrappage scheme.

I think a big part of this is how well mechanics know cars and how cheap parts are. A Suzuki Beleno may be cheap motoring but if nobody has a clue how to decode a fualt code what is the point?

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - stunorthants26
My car being well out of its warranty period, it is now at that age where one would expect things to go wrong, but aside from a slightly rattly caliper, nothing has, it just keeps going and going.
Reliability these days seems to be hugely dependant on the quality of the electrics since they play such a primary role in the functioning of the car ( unless you own a Corsa of a certain age ;-) ).
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - madf
Going back to the original question, it's easier to say makes no to buy.

Males to avoid are : all French
Fiat
SAAB
GM
and Mercedes from 1996 to 2005.
Jaguar
Land Rover.

All based on reliability surveys..

No doubt I have forgotten a few.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - NowWheels
Males to avoid are : all French

Drat! I was just about the marry a French male
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - jbif
gordonbennet at Sun 27 Sep 09 00:08 said " .... ass uming they can get the information referred to on another thread. ... "
madf at Sun 27 Sep 09 10:07 said "Males to avoid are : all French"

My question is, have you two joined Guy Lacey's famous backroom day club:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=24...4

My dads Ford is an R reg when I was bord I typed in a
range of my dads plate between and 100 e.g Rxxx AAA where AAA are the
letters. All of them came up as a Ford.....

they would be!
DVLA supply dealers blocks of numbers, so if you look at a range, like you did, most probably you will hit the same block of numbers that DVLA supplied!
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - cuthbert
I think there is a difference between mechanical problems and design problems !!

Just to clarify what I mean in that Toyota's are known for being a very reliable cars but some models do have problems !! but the difference is the problems are more to do with an initial problem on a particular part design this is normally rectified under warranty and the car then remains reliable .

Other manufacturers there problems are with parts which are not manufactured to the same standard and then can cause problems 3-4 years on

Thats just my take on it !!
With all the dubious expensive fitments now becoming so common dmf dpf automated
manuals leccy handbrakes etc

I guess you could add ABS and various acronyms for traction & stability control to that list, and they're already fairly widely fitted.

Any of those things going wrong in years 3-6 could produce a horribly large bill which you have little alternative but to pay. Even if someone can fix them down to component level without replacing expensive modules, then the labour cost will likely be high.

As you suggest, failures at 7-8 years would have owners trying to figure out whether it's economically viable to repair the car.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - LikedDrivingOnce
madf - are you sure about avoiding Jaguar cars, based on reliability surveys?

According to the latest JD Power survey in June 2009 they were pretty good. 6th out of 29 makes, in fact. Ahead of BMW, Audi, Volvo, Mazda, VW, Nissan et cetera.

tinyurl.com/mk3dxn

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Stuartli
>>..the body work warranty goes up from 10 to 12 years ..>>

My VW Bora, 10 years old in November, has a 12-year bodywork warranty...:-)

Doubt if I will ever need to use it.

Edited by Stuartli on 28/09/2009 at 11:59

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - slowdown avenue
ive a vauxhall agila 3 years old 53 ,000 miler only had tyres , brakes and set of wiper blades, and it has a very hard life
That's because it's basically a Suzuki. A good example of what I said above: the Japanese put more money into reliable components than into soft-feel interiors.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - DP
That's because it's basically a Suzuki. A good example of what I said above: the
Japanese put more money into reliable components than into soft-feel interiors.

I work for a large Japanese manufacturer of heavy production laser printers, and we have a reseller agreement with an American manufacturer who have a German designed and built product which fills a gap in our range.

It is very interesting to compare the engineering differences between the two. The Japanese print engines are lighter, more "plasticky" than the heavy all metal German units, but in reliability terms they are as good, if not better. The Japanese have a fantastic knack of selecting "good enough" components without over-engineering. If a plastic gear or a nylon bush will do the job as well as a metal gear or a proper metal ballrace in a given application, then that's what's used. If it won't, the more expensive components are selected.

The German stuff is excellent, but it is over engineered. This makes replacement parts expensive, and the initial unit cost much higher. The Japanese stuff to the untrained eye looks a little cheap and flimsy, yet it does what it is designed to do just as well as its German counterpart.

One thing you never see on the Japanese designed and built stuff are wiring faults, sensor failures or failed boards. The electronics side is truly first class. Their quality control is also legendary. Everything that leaves the factory works perfectly when it gets to the customer site, barring transit damage of course. Total, predictable consistency. The cars tend to be the same.

Edited by DP on 28/09/2009 at 00:25

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - grumpyscot
Of cars that I've owned:-

Most reliable - Honda (CRV - 110k and still going strong, with no rust) - Only faults: dashboard light blew after 10 years, rear brake light bulb blew after 5 years. Err - and I had to top up the windscreen washers a few times....
Most comfortable - Saab 95
Most fuel efficient - Toyota Avensis
Most rust-prone - Lancia Beta (yep - I'll own up to that one - great car to drive though!)
Worst car - Volvo S40 - mechanics awful, rust within months, electrics unreliable, used 1 litre of oil every 400 miles, never could get more than 30mpg even driving like a saddo.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - b308
Why not just buy a new one with a 5 or 7 year warranty then it doesn't matter about the warranty finishing in 3 years?!... As I don't hear many tails of woe from owners of cars from those manufacturers who do those warranties I assume the cars are ok...
Why not just buy a new one with a 5 or 7 year warranty

In fact that's exactly what I've just done - I bought a new Honda Jazz for wifey and did a deal that included 5yrs warranty and 5 years routine annual servicing for a total of £1000.

It goes against the grain to buy the extended warranty though - I never normally do such things. I'm probably too much un-nerved by things I read on internet forums!
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Andy P
My last Accord (2003 S-Type) did 74k over the five years I had it and it never went wrong - only routine servicing, tyres and brakes.

With every make you'll get some that were made on a Friday afternoon - it's what percentage of those sold that's important. A failure rate of 1 in 100 is a lot worse than 1 in 100,000.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - bintang
My Hyundai i30 1.6 gives the impression, after 20 month's use, that it will do this and more.
A failure rate of 1 in 100 is a lot worse than 1 in 100 000.

It's exactly the same if you're the person who owns that 1 car!

That's my point really, why should one person suffer by being hit with an expensive failure when the other 99 or 99,999 people get away with it?
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Lygonos
Welcome to life.

Non smokers get hit by buses at 30, babies are stillborn, cars break down.

Blame God if you must.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - madf
Some people attract bad luck. They usually drive Renaults.
Some people attract bad luck. They usually drive Renaults.

To be fair, we ran a Clio for 5 years, from 1998 to 2003. The only thing that went wrong was both rear springs broke at 4yrs. With the gentlest of pushes, Renault UK agreed to replace FOC - and the car was bought in the days of 1 year warranties.
Welcome to life. Non smokers get hit by buses at 30, babies are stillborn, cars break down. Blame God if you must. >>

Lygonos: Agreed. I do wonder sometimes when people get concerned about the risk of failure and reliability of cars (which are largely bom proof nowadays) whether they ever give these stats a thought:
www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/trasnsp...l
www.hse.gov.uk/education/statistics.htm#death
www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/dyingag...l

As you say, welcome to life.

Edited by jbif on 28/09/2009 at 21:19

It's exactly the same if you're the person who owns that 1 car!

That's my point really, why should one person suffer by being hit with an expensive failure when the other 99 or 99,999 people get away with it? >>

I shall put in a demand for my share of the EuroMillions lottery win. I shall say I deserve it because Bill Payer said so.

Edited by jbif on 28/09/2009 at 18:14

I shall put in a demand for my share of the EuroMillions lottery win. I
shall say I deserve it because Bill Payer said so.

I don't think it's reasonable that you have to rely on luck to avoid large repair bills on cars that aren't very old.
I don't think it's reasonable that you have to rely on luck to avoid large repair bills on cars that aren't very old. >>

And that is why a reputable company will look after the customer and if it doesn't, then the consumer protection legislation exists to beat them with it.

>> And that is why a reputable company will look after the customer...

So who are those reputable companies?
So who are those reputable companies? >>

Easier to name those that are not. They are [* ]

[*] sorry, but the rules of this forum prevent me naming and shaming them. However, you may have heard of the wonderful resource called t'internet and google where you can find all the information you will probably ever need to help you avoid the disreputable companies. So get googling!

Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Roly93
It is very interesting to compare the engineering differences between the two. The Japanese print engines are lighter more "plasticky" than the heavy all metal German units but in reliability terms they are as good if not better. The Japanese have a fantastic knack of

selecting "good enough" components without over-engineering. If a plastic gear or a nylon bush will do the job as well as a metal gear or a proper metal ballrace in a given application then that's what's used. If it won't the more expensive components are selected.

This is a very fair summary. Some years ago we had a H plate Nissan Sunny.
Whilst an incredibly dull car, it ran beautifully and reliably without a single glitch ever. I used to service it myself, and being a German car fan, could never understand how the Japanses could making something with a bunch of 'bare-minimum' parts that was so reliable.

Everything on the Sunny was the lightest and thinnest that could possibly be used. Even the oil capacity of the 1.4 engine was minimal compared to other cars of this size I had worked on.
I must admit, Im often in awe of how the japanese manage to make even the most cheap and nasty thing keep working. I have less trouble with my car than my customer with his £40k Merc ML and yet my car cost new about the same as a handfull of options from the list on his.
My family is almost exclusively Daihatsu owners now, with the exception of my mum who has a Hyundai. There is very good reason for that, its not just some blind devotion to all things far eastern.
I had a £200 Mazda 323, it was 25 years old and yet it still ran quietly, everything worked and it was a nice car. Even at that age it still felt like it was not going to let me down.

My only concern is whether or not they can translate todays technology into their cars without loosing some of that reliability way beyond the warranty period. Time will tell.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - The Gingerous One
I'd go for a Japanese brand petrol-engined car if it were my call. The past 3 cars I have had (2x Primeras & a Mazda 6 in 8 years) have all been of varying age but all have (so far) done very well. They go, stop, steer & and everything tends to carry on working on them.
The only thing I seem to kill on the Primeras was alternators for some peculiar reason (1 on each car) !
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Dutchie
I tend to agree with gingerous japanese cars are above the rest,i drive a honda jazz well put together reliable and nice to drive for a small car.There again daugthers fiat panda half the price is a nice little car and i will keep a eye on it for her being italian i believe build in poland.(smiley)
I hear stories of Polish-built Fiats (Panda and 500) being better put together than those made in Turin - but I'm not sure if there's any firm evidence for this. They may just be getting better generally.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - turbo11
Petrol Mazda's are my choice. My wifes Mazda 3 1.6 TS is 3 years old.Since new it has not even needed a bulb or anything else. I owned from new a Mazda 6 2.0 TS2. I covered 80,000 miles in 5 1/2 years without any problems.Requiring more space I purchased at Easter a new Mazda 5 2.0 sport. Since then I have covered 10,000 fault free miles.
>>Requiring more space I purchased at Easter a new Mazda 5 2.0 sport. Since then I have covered 10,000 fault free miles.<<

But surely you could have purchased a Laguna estate and by this time, your Renault dealer will have allocated you a dedicated hotline and your own coffee machine, maybe your own bench outside. Its hard to understand why anyone wants a fault free ownership experience when you can have the varied and suprising experience of other brands ;-)
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - Lygonos
I purchased at Easter a new Mazda 5 2.0 sport. Since then I have covered 10,000 fault free miles. <<

Quick, check the back tyres!

I think Mazda solved this one a year or two back, but the Sport model was notorious for eating rear tyres within 10k miles - some rear suspension fix was required IIRC.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - turbo11
The tyre wear problem was on the pre facelift diesels. Having measured the tread depth a fortnight ago, I have over 6.2mm of tread on fronts and rears. They will easily do 25,000 miles.
Cars that will give 5-6 years "no hassle" use? - MikeTorque
Is there a brand which is considered "bomb-proof"?

No.