What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Is it worth buying one? - adam f
I have seen a 99 T reg 2.2 petrol 5door for sale. Its done 108k with no history as it was lost. Its cheap. Not sure what the actual MPG will be as i will only be driving it around town (HJ C by C is quoting 19)

Thoughts please? (will i be expecting big bills?)
Is it worth buying one? - Lou_O
It needs to be really, really, really cheap.

HJ car by car gives it 1 star out of 5, there must be a lot of better options.

Is it worth buying one? - Martin Devon
A guy I do some business with has had 2 and he loves them. Sticks a few miles on too.
Is it worth buying one? - kayks
From what I have heard - please don't buy it. I am sure there are better ways for you to spend that money ... :-)
Its £900
Is it worth buying one? - paul2007
These cars were rubbish.
the . was the best, but at that mileage, lack of engine, axel, gear box oil changes - 900 is about 00 quid too much imo
Is it worth buying one? - Altea Ego
Its £900

with a bit of haggling you can get him to pay you £1200.
It's worth £200 quid with a decent ticket
Is it worth buying one? - JH
I know someone who owned one, way back when they were new. He used to describe it as an "off road" vehicle as it spent so much time off the road... :-)

JH
Is it worth buying one? - bathtub tom
>>with no history as it was lost

Why am I so cynical?
Is it worth buying one? - Rattle
My aunty said had one which my late uncle once had the displeasure of driving back from the north lakes into Manchester. He said it was the worst car had ever driven (he had owned Ladas!) he got around 18mpg out of it although it was a petrol.

I remember it seemed to be in the garage every week with something going wrong. I never understood why they bought at as even in the early 2000's when they bought theirs these cars were known to be duffs.

They are not safe either if the chineese versions currently in production are anything to go off.
Is it worth buying one? - oldnotbold
Nasty vehicles put out in a hurry by Vauxhall to attempt to keep up with the 4x4 thing of the late 80s early 90s. Not a patch on the Shogun, Trooper etc of the same era.
Is it worth buying one? - madf
A colleague at work had one new as a company car. After 2 years, it was returned to the suppliers as it broke down about 20 times iirc.

A car like that is not cheap at £0 as you will undoubtedly be buying the problems someone else:
1. has hidden
2. could not fix
3. could not afford to fix.

And they were not nice to drive either.

You would be better off if you took your £900 and burned £20 a week for a year ...literally.

It would be cheaper.

Edited by madf on 23/09/2009 at 18:52

Is it worth buying one? - Bagpuss
Just to add my comment to this tale of woe.

I had a few of these things as rental cars in the US in the late 90s where they were sold as the Isuzu Rodeo. There was always a sticker in the window saying "Built with Pride in Indiana". Well, there wasn't much pride involved in the building of the ones I had. Awful build quality and dreadful to drive, even by the standards of late 90s ladder frame SUVs, with truly phenomenal untersteer whether 4wd was engaged or not.

One of them suffered a complete electrical failure after a couple of miles.

One of them had huge wheels, running boards and additional lights and people at filling stations told me I had a "Cool Truck". But this was in Alabama.
What about a Freelander then? I want to have a fairly cheap 4x4 to use for business and personel use. It wil save me from buying a van and running 2 vehicles
Are you a Farmer?
Is it worth buying one? - Lygonos
Are you mad ?

Seriously tho, at that age and price I'd be aiming straight for a Mk 1 CR-V from a private seller.

I never even thought of looking at a CRV. I think i have been swayed. Hopefully ill find a nice decent one for a very cheap price

No not a farmer - i have started doing Plumbing here and there
Is it worth buying one? - jacks
No not a farmer - i have started doing Plumbing here and there

Good luck with the plumbing - but - do you really need a 4X4 for that type of work?

A Mondeo Estate (and a roof rack/bars for the lengths of copper tube/pipe etc) will do the job surely?

Jacks
Is it worth buying one? - Mick Snutz
if it breaks down you can always chop the roof off, fill it with soil and plunt bulbs for the spring.

Make a lovely garden feature that would and it would sit high enough so the local cats won't tihs in it.

;-)
Is it worth buying one? - bell boy
nearly lost the will to type reading this thread
frontera as said
freelander oh my goodness
early honda oh dear they do rot and parts are dear dear
why not get a mondeo with a roofrack as suggested,sounds tops to me,
unless of course you are indeed trying to burn the family cash cow jewels so nothing left for the protege?

Edited by Webmaster on 24/09/2009 at 02:09

Is it worth buying one? - Badwolf
I feel that I should leap to the Frontera's defence here.

I've never owned one but a good friend of mine runs an 'R' reg 2.0 Sport. He's a self-employed mobile DJ so carries around an awful lot of heavy gear. He's had his for five years and put 100,000 miles on (it's now at 135,000) and loves it to bits. It's never needed anything apart from routine servicing and never failed an MoT. In fact, the MoT tester told him that he's never seen a 4x4 in better nick, and my mate isn't exactly spot on when it comes to maintenance.

Mind you, having said that I wouldn't have one myself...
Buy a van and keep it tidy. Any Woman worth her salt will appreciate you for what you are, not a pile of metal. Freelander for a Plumber?? You blokes make I larf
Is it worth buying one? - rtj70
If this is for plumbing then a Mondeo sized estate might be better - it is longer than the Frontera and Freelander I think.

If the requirement might be to fit boilers.... well ours in 2003 weighed more than you'd get in any of these! A transit seemed to work but getting to the cellar was "interesting".
Is it worth buying one? - NowWheels
Mondeo? Pah.

A Transit would be much better, 'cos of its possibilities for diversifying the business: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgxMgEpcKIo
Is it worth buying one? - DP
I feel that I should leap to the Frontera's defence here.
I've never owned one but a good friend of mine runs an 'R' reg 2.0
Sport.

IIRC, this is the old 8 valve "Family 2" C20NE Astra/Cavalier/Carlton engine. One of the toughest engines ever made in my experience - I've seen them do 140,000 miles without being serviced for 60,000 and still run as sweetly as the day they were built. Gutsy too.

I know there's more to a car than an engine, but it doesn't surprise me that anything with this lump under the bonnet does starship mileages with total reliability. 200,000+ mile 2.0 Cavaliers and Carltons were not uncommon at all.

I suspect if you're going to get a Frontera, this is the one to choose.

Yep but with 20mpg real world fuel consumption any savings on engine is wiped out. They also suffer from rust problems well at least my aunties did. The 2.0 is fine in a 2wd Cavvy but remember the Fronteria is 4wd and has all the stupid fancy transfer boxes that go with it which eat up fuel.
Actually, I have just remembered the 2 year old Cavalier 2.0iL 4x4 that a mate bought in 1992. The transmission was a living nightmare. A week after he bought it, the transfer box started leaking. Once that was fixed, the thing would switch itself into 2wd at random and start blinking warning lights. Then the transfer box went again, followed soon after by the clutch. He sold it on in the end once it was all working again. It had less than 40,000 genuine miles on the clock.

I also recall while thumbing through the RAC "Gold" warranty that came with our Mazda MX-5, that it did not cover Vauxhall 4wd systems in any way, shape or form. It was the only manufacturer specific exclusion in the entire policy.

That Cavalier was otherwise a lovely car. Such a shame.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 24/09/2009 at 00:56

Is it worth buying one? - Number_Cruncher
I like Vauxhalls - but I wouldn't have anything to do with a Frontera. Awful cars in most senses.

The transfer box on Cavs and some Calibras was a pain. As they were a bit of an afterthought, the access to fasteners on them was nowhere near as well thought out as the rest of the powertrain, and so, they were a right pig to remove. We did quite a few of these, so, I sacrificed some cheaper spanners, and made up some cranked specials to get in.

When it was working, the four wheel drive system on Cavs worked extremely well.

I wonder if its the same transfer box on the frontera? Since the cav was a GM product and the Frontera was designed by Isuzu.
Is it worth buying one? - Number_Cruncher
No, they're quite different.

This is a good thing! :-)
Is it worth buying one? - Marc
Didn't Top Gear abandon a Frontera in the sea in one episode
Is it worth buying one? - redviper
Didn't Top Gear abandon a Frontera in the sea in one episode

That was a Toyota Hilux
Is it worth buying one? - SlidingPillar
I bought an 'L' reg Sport from new. Worst car I've owned and as my first car was a 1.3 Marina Coupe, that's saying something.

I still think spec and price wise it was in theory ok but build quality and hence reliability were sadly lacking.

Is it worth buying one? - Marc
"That was a Toyota Hilux"

Not sure it was if you're on about the indestructable Hilux recently. This was quite a few years back. I think the Frontera broke down in shallow water so they abandoned it.
Ah maybe then, i remeber when JC reviewed the Frontera, but I also recall another one where it got stuck so that must be the one :-)
Is it worth buying one? - bell boy
i thought the engine light came on and they decided to refer it to dealer
Cant remeber now - i do remebember though when JC tested the Astra G with a faulty airbag - Airbag light was illuninated on the dash.
Is it worth buying one? - Dynamic Dave
There's a sticky post over on Vauxhall Owners Network which gives some advice on buying a decent frontera:-

www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1...2

Is it worth buying one? - MrTG

Now I do know a bit about Fronteras. I've had one for 14 years and kept records on Carsurvey.org and also have a YouTube Video on the subject. The car in question is a 1996 2.0 8v Sport. (I've also had a 1997 2.2 LWB and couldn't get rid of it quick enough!)

So mine was a low miler from a car supermarket. I've done all my own work since and only used it as a second vehicle. Never once in 14 years has it let us down. Never once has it given any problems starting, and never once has the 4 wheel drive system let us down in thick snow or mud. It goes where we want it to go and does the job of a medium sized SUV just perfectly. It's simplicity to work on, parts are cheap too.

Now the truly honest bit, after all it's Honest John's Website. In the year 2010 bear in mind these things have been phased out for a good few years now. Many have been offroaded, thrown through rivers and over rocks or joyrided by nutters (remember, the 4x4 popularity of the early 90s replaced the hot hatch popularity). Others have towed for thousands of miles.

Unless you can get one from from a 60 something guy like me who has cherished it since his late 40s and never asked it to do anything than pull a Sprite Major through mud or cut through the Goyt Valley in 6 inches of snow - I'd leave well alone!! I've looked around for a second 2.0 Sport for many a month now and despite shiny bodywork have found nothing but sheds upon closer inspection.

PS: No, it's not for sale.

Is it worth buying one? - barney100

Rates plumbers charge a Bentley with a roof rack would be quite affordable.