What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - paul2007
Thread re-titled as it was too long. Original thread said "YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST = Ford & Poss Vauxhall to". smokie

Hello, yesterday a bloke in the car park Got chatting about my car initially, then buying a new small car for wife and daughters as a run around, but wanted a 5 year warranty backed by manufacturer. I told him that we'd always bought as he was aware, Ford/Vauxhall or German cars = Mercedes/Audi, but seriously considering Hyundai because of the 5 year warranty.

He told me to wait a few weeks, and Ford wll in the very near future announce a 5 year manufacturer backed warranty on their smaller cars, eg, most likley the new Ka, Fiesta, poss the Fusion, then the new Focus This will go head to head with the likes of Hyundia as Fords have lost out big time to this manufacture. Surveys suggest that its the 5 year warranty that is moving them away from the likes of Ford.

Obviously he could no confirm the source, or whether this will happen this week, next week or next year. The person that told him is reliable he told me.

HJ, you carry a lot of weight i mooring journalism, could you follow through please?

Edited by smokie on 23/09/2009 at 10:39

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST = Ford & Poss Vauxhall to - ForumNeedsModerating
>>HJ, you carry a lot of weight i mooring journalism, could you follow through please?

I expect HJ will need more facts before he pushes the boat out though.
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST = Ford & Poss Vauxhall to - Stuartli
>>The person that told him is reliable he told me.>>

On that basis you are taking what he said as Gospel?

It may well be true, but should you really take the word of a stranger who is in turn passing on unsubstantiated information?
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST = Ford & Poss Vauxhall to - Bill Payer
I could easily imagine them doing this. The coverage is likely to be limited in years 4 & 5 though (in the US it's powertrain only, and it's limited to 60,000 miles).

The obvious downside (but another reason for Ford etc doing it) is that they'll insist on dealer servicing, so the dealers will have you over a barrel for service and other repairs.
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST = Ford & Poss Vauxhall to - Stuartli
Another thought is whether Vauxhall is in any position at present to even consider offering such warranties?
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - TheOilBurner
They might as well offer 50 year warranties considering how hard it is to get a dealer to consider actually doing any work under warranty sometimes, or, if you have persuaded them to have a look, for them to identify the source of a problem and actually fix it.

So 5 year warranties don't really change anything.
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - AlanGowdy
I'd have thought the 5 year warranty is one of the prime reasons that Hyundai is doing so well against the longer established manufacturers. Their cars are good.... but no more so than a Ford or Vauxhall.
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - Bill Payer
I'd have thought the 5 year warranty is one of the prime reasons that Hyundai
is doing so well against the longer established manufacturers.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle claims in years 4 & 5 - the warranty T's & C's say they'll replace anything that had a manufacturing defect. Pretty big escape route for them there.
Just contacted a couple of Ford dealers and asked if Ford was to extend warranty, one sales staff stated he'd heard rumours a few months ago but nothing since. However, we both agreed that it would be in Fords interest to do this on their smaller cars, Ka and the new model Fiesta as servicing would pull in money, plus the so-called 'additional work 'that normally crops up with servicing.

So I have decided to wait for the new Fiesta until the extended warranty for 5 years appears or buy anyway in Jan 2010.

IMO, Fords and other mainstream, small car makers will continue to lose out big style to Hyundai if they do not provide a 5 year warranty and for that reason at least Fords will extevd warravty, recover some of the lost sales, and make a bigger profit via servicing/etc.

Edited by paul2007 on 23/09/2009 at 14:04

Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - bell boy
look what i saw waiiting for this 5 year warranty
tinyurl.com/kmolau
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - colinh
Can the limited-model extended warranty work as a negative for a manufacturer? For example, if they're offering 5 years on a Ka, what's wrong with the Mondeo that only has three years?
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - schneip
Didn't Fiat do a 5yr warranty in recent times on the new Bravo? Again, same arguement; what did that say about the other cars in their range at the time?

I think Hyundai are said to design and manufacture every component on their vehicles (think I read it in one of their brochures), hence arguably have a tighter control on the quality of components used overall and might be better placed to put their money where their mouth is. I'm assuming that may not be the case for other manufacturers e.g. Ford/Vauxhall/Citroen/Renault etc and so there may be more reluctance to provide the extra cover. I still don't trust a Renault having read the car-by-car breakdowns on here, but at least they've made some effort with the new Laguna's warranty.

... That said, the term "Manufacturing defect" mentioned in an earlier post does indeed seem to be a large get-out. Would you expect every component to work as intended after 5yrs fair wear and tear? And is 'fair wear and tear' something that can be considered extremely subjectively?
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - Stuartli
Japanest manufacturers such as Honda and Nissan manage it with UK suppliers, just as Sony and Toshiba did with their UK built CRT TVs.

Sony, in fact, demanded and quickly achieved reliability of just one failure in more than a million components from its suppliers.

Nissan did the same with car parts suppliers and, what's more, got superior reliability and lower costs over time.
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - Rattle
Personaly I would still pay a premium for a Ford and have less warranty as long as as it is a petrol.

I think its a fad, when people realise you cannot get parts cheaply for that 7 year old Kia people will soon switch back to Ford and Vauxhall.
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - Rattle
This is the problem they need to offer 5 years on all cars or not all. What is wrong with the Mondeo? They are too complicated and cost too much when they go wrong. A Ka is fairly simple but built on reliable and trusted foundations.
Ford & Poss Vauxhall to offer 5 year warranty - Altarf
Why? Surely you only offer something if the return is worth the additional cost.

In the small car market people are considering buying something with a 5 year warranty instead of a small Ford. Are people being tempted from buying a Mondeo to something with a 5 year warranty? If the answer is no, then why offer a 5 year warranty.
Hi

Having a warranty across the range is not a viable option as you mentioned, ie costs for the bigger, higher end models and their gadgets.

I've contacted Ford HQ - person i spoke with could not confirm or deny rumours.