What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 2.0 stone dents - fmo
Curious as to whether others have ever suffered dents to offside rear door panel caused by stones.

I was crawling in heavy traffic on dual carriage (outside lane) last week when massive bang. When I got home I've got a nice 5 pence piece sized dent and a few minor scratches on read door panel. I reckon if it'd hit the window it would've smashed for sure. I was a bit suspicious that someone had thrown a stone at the car, as traffic on both sides of carriageway moving fairly slowly. Any thoughts anyone ?

Also anyone tries any of the diy products to remove dents etc.

Cheers.

05 2.0 stone dents - the_bandit
I've had one before on a previous car. I was side by side a HGV (tractor unit only) both of us waiting at traffic lights at the front. Nobody else around. I was turning left, he was carrying straight on.

the lights turn green and as I'm half way through my manoeuvre I hear the loudest bang ever against the bodywork. In shock at this noise I could only assume that somehow I had been hit by the HGV and so turned about and gave chase. I managed to get him to pull over so I could investigate my car and his HGV.

Damage was to OSR door low down near wheel arch, about a 20 pence piece but with a grooved 5cm trailing mark leading up to it. It quickly became apparent I hadn't been hit by the HGV but instead could only assume I had been hit by a stone(s) flicking up from one of his many rear wheels.

Damn those stones !!

05 2.0 stone dents - fmo
Cheers Smokey.

I can kinda understand how that would happen in your case. That said I was in offside lane so nothing to offside of me except for traffic on other side of carriage way. And there was at least an 8 foot grass verge between me and traffic going opposite direction and traffic on both sides of carriageway moving slowly as was rush hour. Plus damage is only about 2inches below OSR window.

I guess its just one of those things, but this has reallly peed me off. I reckon it must be a 1 in a million chance of happening. Praps I'll chance my arm on the lottery this week :-)

05 2.0 stone dents - Bill Payer
I think birds drop stones on traffic!

Seriously, I've been hit by stones when there's been nothing else around. No idea where they come from.