What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How do u increase Bhp on a - Chill
Honda civic sedan, 92-95. 1.5 Vtec.

Okay, heres the ku. Ive already got a k&n induction kit, got a performance exhaust... but thats not enough for me... i need more kick, more power.

I know some of you are probably thinkin, uhh get a better car. but no! i love this civic for so many reasons

anyways, i wanna know more about chippin the "ECU. n what kinda difference would it make? where could i get it done? etc etc

-wot else would increase my bhp?

brainstorm people... ur the experts, not me.

thaaaank u

*later*
How do u increase Bhp on a - RichardW
This has come up a few times recently, and the answer is - there's really nothing you can do that doesn't invovle stripping the engine and having work done on the head, cams, and bottom end. An ECU upgrade may release a couple of extra BHP - if you're lucky - and may smooth out a few flat spots, but you'd be better saving the £500 and chopping it in for something with a bigger engine in the first place.

Richard
How do u increase Bhp on a - Dizzy {P}
Exactly!

When I was a youngster (pre-historic times), my garage mechanic friend spent a fortune hotting the 948cc engine in his Morris Minor -- new/modified camshaft, carbs, exhaust, cylinder head, etc. I bought the later 1098cc engine from an insurance write-off for my own Minor and this made my car far more lively and driveable than his modded 948. And it cost a lot less!
How do u increase Bhp on a - John S
Chill

I think the engine you have is already in a fairly high state of tune anyway, what with variable camshaft timing etc. I reckon iit would need extensive mods and serious money to produce any significant extra power from the unit.

Regards

John S
How do u increase Bhp on a - Chill
Ok.

So we've established its gonna cost big bucks. but thats cool, long as i can put cossy's to p911 twin turbos 2 shame... ok, maybe im exagerating a bit...?

so where do i go 2 get my head worked on? how much will it cost? who does perfomance engine mods on jap cars in the uk? any websites? any references?

nice 1
chill
How do u increase Bhp on a - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
so where do i go 2 get my head worked on?

Where, indeed..................
How do u increase Bhp on a - Matblack
Hi Chill

I'm afraid I don't have good news for you but I do have an answer. Doing a lot of engine work on that particular car is not going to win you many BHP. If you already have a performance exhaust and air intake (which in my experience on Hondas doesn't do much by increase the responce a bit and increase the noise a lot!) you really have only have three ways way to go.

TURBO!
or
NOS
or
TRANSPLANT

There are a few kits on the market for that engine, you'll need to do your research but I think you should get a good result probably better with the turbo for regular driving than with NOS, which would be good for a quick thrash. If you want to go really beefy you should be able to shoehorn a stupid size lump in to the car but that will mean a lot of work.

I spent a long time thinking about modding my '93 CRX in the same way and eventually just had to settle for having a reliable and nice looking car. Beating 911's and cossies isn't easy or cheap if it was everyone would be doing it.

Matblack

How do u increase Bhp on a - Micky
Buy a Caterham/Westfield/Dax/other and use the Honda for shopping.
How do u increase Bhp on a - dan
Head gas flow: Try Port Formance £600 - £1000.
Depending how far you want to take it.
How do u increase Bhp on a - Andy P
If I remember, Mugen do tuning kits for Hondas. An example : www.modify.co.uk/feature_cars/featurecars_2001/dec...l

I think Honda dealers can source these parts.

Andy
How do u increase Bhp on a - svpworld
Just lighten it up, remove the rear seats, spare wheel, keep the tank 1/4 full with optimax, super light alloys and a "no fear" sticker on the front screen.. I'm sure those cossy's and M5 owners will quake in their boots!! Better still, change the car!

S.

Buy a pre-loved enthusiast-owned Citroen BX 16vGTi, pocket the money you save, and then enjoy the performance in straight-lines and curves (if the insurance man and law will let you).

£ for BHP (and un-modded) you will find it hard to beat, I'm assured.