What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cheap fix for broken springs. - Dynamic Dave
A driver who decided to save money by replacing his suspension springs with tennis balls has been fined.

The Opel Vectra was stopped at Dover?s Eastern Docks and inspection by Port of Dover police officers revealed the stack of balls where the springs should have been.

tinyurl.com/nzl3mo

Cheap fix for broken springs. - Manatee
Looks quite enterprising. Have they no sense of humour? And what was the victims surcharge for, were the tennis balls upset?
Cheap fix for broken springs. - davecuk
Oh well.....I'll have to jack mine up and remove the cricket balls tonight. Didn't Leyland do something similar with the mini rear suspension though and they got away with it..;-)
Cheap fix for broken springs. - bazza
Quite innovative if you ask me and I'll file it in my "get you home bodges" file. The smugness of the jobsworth comments as if he'd saved the whole of Dover and the South East from certain catastrophe would be quite amusing if it wasn't so irritating.
> Didn't Leyland do something similar with the mini rear suspension

Front and rear, the Moulton rubber lumps. One reason I have a bit of sympathy is that I was once the very impecunious owner of a Wolseley Hornet that had its collapsed hydrolastic suspenders replaced with the rubber lumps and trumpets. There were no dampers of course, but it didn't really hamper things except for needing to replace all four Conway remoulds every 600 miles or so (£3 each I think).
Cheap fix for broken springs. - DP
Maybe I am approaching this with the wrong attitude, but my first thought on seeing the photo was "Genius!"

Cheap fix for broken springs. - bathtub tom
Many years ago, I bought a Standard ten. It wasn't until I got it MOT'd many months later that I found the broken off part of one front spring had been replaced with what looked like a cut-off section of beautifully polished, turned piano leg.

I was so impressed with the guy's ingenuity, I didn't have the heart to go back and shout at him. Cavea umpa lumpa as bb would say. ;>)

Cheap fix for broken springs. - davecuk
Conway remoulds...my goodness yes I remember them now. Best not to go over 50 they used to say....did we listen....nah!

I don't expect you can get remoulds now can you?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/09/2009 at 01:16

Cheap fix for broken springs. - gordonbennet
Colway remoulds...brilliant off road tyres, the old RR csk would go anywhere, anyone thats been to the devils pit will know the hills i'm referring to.

Edit. if you have a W210 MB and the front spring support breaks off as they are prone to do, using a old MB prop shaft rubber coupling as a spring spacer will get you home.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/09/2009 at 22:55

Quite right - Colway, not my misremembered Conway.

I have a CSK reg no., I keep thinking I need a classic RR to go with it...
Cheap fix for broken springs. - MikeTorque
A complete and utter yoyo brain, tennis balls !
There used to be a product, called autoballans IIRC, that consisted of an inflatable ball inserted in the spring as an assister for towing.

Some people tried tennis balls as a cheaper alternative.
Cheap fix for broken springs. - Cliff Pope
I remember reading a get-you-home bodge for for a broken cart spring was to wedge a branch of a tree between the spring hangers.
Cheap fix for broken springs. - ifithelps
...Quite right - Colway, not my misremembered Conway...

Colway Grippers - cheap, round (mostly), and black, but very little else.
Colway remoulds were a well respected tyre by the trials brigade.

IIRC they were the only tyre permitted in certain classes for rallies.
Cheap fix for broken springs. - DP
Quite popular in the rallying world at club level too, IIRC