What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A tale of two test drives - andyfr
As my wife's car is due to be changed we arranged test drives for the two we had shortlisted on consecutive days during our lunch breaks. The first was at the Honda dealer where we arrived at the appointed time only to be told that someone would be with us in a minute. After 10 minutes we were told that someone else had just gone out for a test drive in the Jazz and they didn't have another one available. We were told that they should only be a few minutes so we waited for another 10 before giving up and leaving.

The following day we had arranged a test drive at the Skoda dealer so again we arrived at the time arranged and were met with the salesman who handed us the keys to a Fabia Greenline. He said that he knew we wanted the 1.4 TDi Fabia 2 but the Greenline was the only diesel Fabia available that day but he could arrange for the exact model to be available in a few days. Anyway, we liked the car but said we would like to drive the model we were thinking of buying. This was arranged for Saturday morning and when we got there it was ready and waiting for us. The salesman said to take it for as long as we wanted, so we had a good long relaxed test drive.

Guess which we ordered?
A tale of two test drives - alfatrike
good customer service wins over anything else for me. it's no good having a good product if i can't try it.
A tale of two test drives - 1066
i had the same trouble when i bought my new car last week.
i arranged 4 test drives and arrived for 2 to be told that they were out and waited 1/2hr then gave up but citroen and hyundai were great and sent us off and were told to keep the car for a couple of hrs and if we wanted it longer then just to phone up and dont worry about the fuel as they are full.
A tale of two test drives - Bill Payer
Guess which we ordered?

Please don't say it was the 10yr old Fabia.
A tale of two test drives - maz64
It doesn't just depend on the make - many years ago we decided we wanted an Accord. Initially we went to the nearest Honda dealer, but the salesman I dealt with was hopeless - just didn't seem interested in selling me a car.

But then we went to the Honda dealer in Fleet, and the salesman there was just the opposite - keen and enthusiastic, without being pushy. He got our custom.
It doesn't just depend on the make -

I always find these stories where people talk about makes as quite bizzare - of course it's down to the individual salesperson.

I ordered a new Honda Jazz last week for Mrs BP. The salesguy we dealt with has been at the dealership 20 years. We turned up more or less un-announced - I'd rung but not been able to speak to him as he was busy completing his 3rd sale of the day.

He did everything we asked of him, including 2 test drives, and we increased his tally that day to 4.

It's odd, but I would have preferred him to have messed us about - I wouldn't have felt compelled to buy a car then!
A tale of two test drives - cuthbert
I think the service you get from a dealership is more to do with the salesman than the make of car you buy !

I could write a book about my trials and tribulations of buying and test driving cars
A tale of two test drives - Armstrong Sid
I'm in the market for a used, (12/18 months old, up to a price) car, but I'm not desperate or certain what I want. A couple of weeks ago I went to a well-known Car Supermarket basically just a look around to see what they had and get inspiration. I became quite impressed with new model 1 yr old Fiestas, and asked a salesman/boy for a rough idea how much my existing car would be worth in p-ex. I was given a figure which I thought was pretty good.

Bearing in mind I'd gone in to the place purely on spec with no idea expectation of buying, I was surprised I'd reached that stage after 20 minutes, so I needed to think about it and weigh up the financial side of things. I said to salesboy (spikey shiny hair) that I'd think about it and I'd probably be in contact again in a few days. I guess he was assuming he'd got me there and then, because his response was almost aggressive with a "Why don't you want to buy it today?"

How to win friends and impress customers.

I was genuinely interested in buying (and may still do it) but his attitude completely ruined it for me, and if I go back I will make sure i deal with another salesman (not boy).
A tale of two test drives - NARU
But then we went to the Honda dealer in Fleet and the salesman there was
just the opposite - keen and enthusiastic without being pushy. He got our custom.

Same for us - Fleet Autoway even won an AutoExpress award for being the one of the best dealers in the country despite being so small. Then a couple of months after we bought they abandoned Honda and became a Citroen dealer! They've now dropped that and are a Ford and Honda service centre. I felt Honda lost one of the best dealers in miles - we still go there for servicing.
A tale of two test drives - gordonbennet
If the dealer can't be bothered to treat a customer properly when trying to sell the car, imagine just how helpful they'll be should it go wrong.

The sales staff are part of the whole dealership, if the dealer is happy to have incompetent front line customer dealing staff, it makes me wonder just how bad the unseen but far more important tech people might be.
A tale of two test drives - Pugugly
Funnily enough Honda phoned me yesterday wanting feedback on the dealer. I told them i had recent experience of Skoda,BMW, Honda and V/W and that I rated them in that order with Skoda miles ahead on every level.
A tale of two test drives - rtj70
Funnily enough Honda phoned me yesterday wanting feedback on the dealer.

Every time my Mazda6 has been in the dealers I get a courtesy call a few days later to check everything is okay. And once got Mazda UK checking up too. And the dealer texts to confirm bookings and remind you nearer the time etc... Quite good service.
A tale of two test drives - DP
Every time my Mazda6 has been in the dealers I get a courtesy call a
few days later to check everything is okay. And once got Mazda UK checking up
too.

We had the same experience with our old MX-5. Every single aspect of the experience, whether it was the unaccompanied, three hour test drive, our names put on the welcome board in reception when we collected it, the fact they put the car in the showroom to do the handover in the warm and dry (and let us drive it out), the courteous, professional and reasonably priced servicing, the courtesy calls afterwards, and the fact that the dealer principals card, complete with direct line was in the handbook pack, with instructions to call him directly at any time if we had any queries or concerns, the salesman who was keen but not pushy.... literally couldn't fault any of it, even being hyper picky.

That was 4 years ago now, but it remains a buying and owning experience that neither SWMBO have ever got close to either before or since, and which we both still remember in detail. It was a fabulous car as well, which helped, but even if it hadn't been, I wouldn't have been at all concerned at how the dealer would have supported us. I still get invited for test drives periodically to this day, too. :-)

Cheers
DP
A tale of two test drives - William Stevenson
Is there any point in test drives at all for a new car? I've never taken one. First impressions are likely to be inaccurate and unduly influenced by the present car, and one soon adapts to different driving dynamics. I expect I would even soon adapt to the much maligned Jazz i-shift. You might as well just sit in it, and check the way the seats fold, as spend time imagining that you are gaining a reasoned impression by a few minutes driving around. Modern cars are really good, at least until they break down.
Is there any point in test drives at all for a new car?

I would have been happy to buy a new 1.2 Corsa based on reviews and technical data, but it only took a short test drive to realise it just felt too lethargic.

As I think has been mentioned before, a test drive can be useful in deciding what not to buy.
A tale of two test drives - Pugugly
and sizing up dealers. Worked a treat that, long and good relationship with BMW and Skoda - kept well away from the rubbish dealer we got the GTi from.
I would have been happy to buy a new 1.2 Corsa based on reviews and
technical data

ditto the previous model 1.1 Colt (we bought a 1.3)
ditto the previous model 1.1 Colt (we bought a 1.3)

I drive a Merc but my daughter has a 1.1 Colt and it's perfectly adequate. Quite a nice little engine, in fact.

I agree with William Stevenson - you adapt to whatever you're driving.
I drive a Merc but my daughter has a 1.1 Colt and it's perfectly adequate.
Quite a nice little engine in fact.

That's what I'd read, but compared to the 1.0 Yaris we were changing, it wasn't, not by a long shot.
I agree with William Stevenson - you adapt to whatever you're driving.

Perhaps (although personally I don't think I would ever like the 1.1 Colt I drove), but it just seems like laziness if you miss out on something a lot better for the sake of a test drive.
You might as well just sit in it....

I agree with that, and certainly in buying the Jazz my wife (whose car it will be) wasn't in the slightest bit interested in test driving it.
A tale of two test drives - gordonbennet
Is there any point in test drives at all for a new car?

Oh yes, we tested a Navara (Pathfinder) and the Hilux..the Pathfinder went into limp mode on test, and swmbo hated the way it drove and sounded.
The Hilux felt exactly right from first start.

We had already planned our own test route taking a notoriously bumpy undulating road to see if the obviously hard suspension was liveable, and to check it did everything we wanted.

The test drive as planned by some sales centres isn't worth bothering with i agree...a blast up the dual carriageway to the first junction and back is of no use at all.
A tale of two test drives - Dipstick
"Is there any point in test drives at all for a new car? "

Of course. We went in to our local Honda dealer really keen on a new Accord, test drove and came away sure that it wasn't for us - too darn noisy, which we'd not have picked up without driving it.
A tale of two test drives - 1400ted
Just had great service from our local Nissan agent. Traded SWMBO's C3 for a black 1600 Note auto. Nothing too much trouble, Swapped the insurance over last Saturday and due, I assume, to the postal strike, have been waiting for a certificate as DVLA wouldn't accept the faxed copy the insurers sent to the dealer. So , C3 off the road, no insurance. Note off the road, no tax.( needed a class change as well )
Salesman rang today to see if cert had come. Said as it hadn't he had might be able to sort it...no promises. He rang later to say it was all taxed, valeted and ready. Turned out his ex worked for the DVLA and owed him a favour.....brilliant !
First names all round, coffees and jokes......a really good attitude. Didn't bother with a test drive, 20,000 miiles, ex Motability serviced and Nissan engineering...no point.

Ted
DVLA wouldn't accept the faxed copy the insurers sent to the dealer.

Hmm...most dealers (and I've dealt with two pretty small ones recently) tax cars on the premises. I was warned in one of them that the person who does the taxing is a bit pernickity, but didn't have any problems.

The other solution, which I thought pretty well all manufactuers did these days, is to use their free 7 day insurance cover to tax the car. Certainly Mercedes, Honda and Ford do that.
A tale of two test drives - L'escargot
Guess which we ordered?

I couldn't give a monkey's about the salesman's attitude. I'll probably only meet him twice, and then only for a few minutes each time. My only interest is in the car model and specification, and I've more or less decided on that from prior research before I enter the showroom. The test drive is only for confirmation of my choice.

Edited by L'escargot on 17/09/2009 at 08:31

A tale of two test drives - ForumNeedsModerating
Guess which we ordered?

Well, not something that would have influenced me unduly. I imagine many people make appts. for test drives & don't turn up, so dealers might sometimes take a chance & 'fit in' an extra sales chance & take someone out for a spin. Maybe this happened at the Honda dealer?

I might have been slightly put out at having to wait a while, but when you're buying something as important as a car (certainly in terms of money, anyway..) & you've nailed down the choice between two makes/models, it seems a bit illogical to eschew one because of a bit of waiting around. I always use any unplanned spare time in those situations for further investigations, questions & explorations (or maybe a cup of coffee & a fag!).
I might have been slightly put out at having to wait a while

Waiting is going to be irritating if you're up against it time-wise. The OP was doing trying to fit test-drives into both his and his wife's lunch-breaks which, to be honest, is almost asking for trouble. OK, it *should* be possible, but life's not like that (well, not for me, anyway!).
A tale of two test drives - b308
Going back to the test drive point, yes, you can adapt to any car if you want... but if you are planning to live with that car for several years surely its better to ensure that its comfortable and the engine does what you want it to do before you buy? I remember back in 2001 test driving a Focus TDDi and Fabia, I could not have lived with that engine in the Focus for long as it was so inflexible, but I'd not have got that from just looking at brochures.

Test drive is a must...
Going back to the test drive point yes you can adapt to any car if
you want...

I could never adapt to the driver's seat of a Ka. I had three as courtesy cars in the early 2000s and 25 miles in each was as much as I could stand. I found the driver's seat backrest to be excruciatingly uncomfortable ~ in fact positively painful.

Edited by L'escargot on 17/09/2009 at 10:36

A tale of two test drives - ifithelps
...I couldn't give a monkey's about the salesman's attitude. I'll probably only meet him twice,..

Wise words, but it's all too easy to be unduly influenced by that and other irrelevancies such as a flash showroom, free coffee etc.

The previous owner of Ifithelps Towers was a very bonny lass.

I had to keep reminding myself I was just buying a flat and she wouldn't be coming with it. :)

A tale of two test drives - andyfr
To answer some of your points.

The last time my wife was changing her car there was one particular model which she was really interested in. We arranged for a test drive but within 10 minutes my wife's back was hurting, this was something which hadn't become apparent when sitting in the car in the showroom. I'm amazed that some people would consider spending £11,000+ without a test drive, do you buy shoes without trying them on?

We usually have a shortlist with several cars to test drive but as we only have diesel ones there weren't too many which met out criteria apart from the Fabia. When the new Jazz was originally announced there was a rumour that it would be available with a diesel engine so we had been along to the launch. I have a CR-V so we know what Honda quality is like so even though the Jazz was petrol we thought we would see if it was exceptional enough to be considered. The failed test drive took it out of the equation completely.

I'm a very tolerant person but I draw the line at rudeness, and not having a car ready for an appointment I had called in and booked personally I consider that rude. I know you don't have to like the salesman to buy a car you want but I would travel to another dealer and buy from them instead.

Some of you may disagree with me and that is your prerogative of course!
A tale of two test drives - bathtub tom
I'm in total agreement andyfr.

It's probably indicative of the attitude of all the staff in the dealership.

Imagine taking it back with a warranty problem and as for getting it serviced there........
I know you don't have to like the salesman to buy a car
you want but I would travel to another dealer and buy from them instead.

Just make sure you don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Edited by L'escargot on 18/09/2009 at 09:00

A tale of two test drives - SpamCan61 {P}
>> Guess which we ordered?
I couldn't give a monkey's about the salesman's attitude. I'll probably only meet him twice
and then only for a few minutes each time. My only interest is in the
car model and specification and I've more or less decided on that from prior research
before I enter the showroom. The test drive is only for confirmation of my choice.

By and large I agree, all that would worry me is that if the salesman's attitude is so bad when there's a sale in the offing then what is the same dealership's attitude going to be to any snagging / warranty issues?
A tale of two test drives - oldnotbold
"f the salesman's attitude is so bad when there's a sale in the offing then what is the same dealership's attitude going to be to any snagging / warranty issues?"

A fair and valid point. Pre-sale customer service is quite easy to get right, and is a combination of good admin coupled with good attitude. If they can't do the simple things, what about the hard ones?
A tale of two test drives - Optimist
I agree.

I've always thought that cars and houses pretty much sell themselves thus making estate agents and car salesmen redundant.

All they have to do is to put the item in front of you and be helpful and knowledgeable.

Looking to change one of the cars a few years ago I went into a dealership, for what I now can't remember.

I told the sales manager what I was looking to test drive. He said he might be able to get one from another dealership. If I didn't hear from him in a couple of weeks, I was to phone him.

At another dealership we went for a test drive with a salesman sitting in the back. After a few miles and minutes of left turns we were back in the road where the dealership was. The salesman assured me this was the test drive route.

Neither of these got the deal and either of them could have.
A tale of two test drives - Brian Tryzers
Reminds me of the Mazda dealer I went to two years ago when I was considering a 5. The salesman was amiable enough and far from pushy but his idea of a test drive was to do most of the driving (badly) himself, and to hand over to me for a mile each of straight 30mph suburban road and equally straight dual carriageway.

This contrasts markedly with the Toyota and Mitsubishi shops in the same town, who threw me the keys to a Verso and a Grandis and said, "See you in an hour or two." We bought the Verso.

How anyone can buy such a significant item without trying it out properly I have no idea. Does anyone here buy shoes by pointing at a pair in the window and saying, "No need to try them, I've read all about them and I'm sure they'll be fine"?

Although if people do do the automotive equivalent of that it could explain some of the ergonomic horrors I tend to bang on about here. Does anyone who's driven a Picasso or a Yaris more than ten minutes go on to buy one without first finding a compelling reason to put up with a speedometer situated somewhere west of Milford Haven?

I'll go further: the test drive is the single most important reason for having a dealer at all. Without it we might as well buy a car the way I've taken to buying shoes. (I got tired of the looks I got from shop assistants when I asked them for a 12 or a 47. And no, matey, a 46 is not a 12, not this side of the Atlantic anyway.) But at least when the shoes I ordered online don't fit I can return them; neither so cheap nor so easy to do with a car.
Does anyone who's driven a
Picasso or a Yaris more than ten minutes go on to buy one without first
finding a compelling reason to put up with a speedometer situated somewhere west of Milford
Haven?

Yes! On a mk1 anyway; don't know which version you're talking about. Apart from the fact it was digital, didn't notice anything odd about it. Which just proves your point - just because someone else likes/dislikes it doesn't mean to say you'll feel the same way.
A tale of two test drives - NowWheels
Does anyone who's driven a Picasso or a Yaris more than ten minutes go
on to buy one without first finding a compelling reason to put up with a
speedometer situated somewhere west of Milford Haven?

Well, yes -- the many people who like having the speedo in a place where you can at least see some road while looking at it.
I'll go further: the test drive is the single most important reason for having a
dealer at all. Without it we might as well buy a car the way I've taken to buying shoes.

Actually, I think that in many ways a test drive is a rather pointless exercise for most newish cars, unless you fancy yourself as an enthusiast.

Most modern cars are a form of white goods, a variety of similar products which have converged to produce a lot of remarkably similar models. Most of them are reasonably fast, go round corners reasonably well, and all that sort of thing. The biggest differences between them relate to interior design and to construction standards, and a test drive tells you sod all about that -- construction standards are something for research not feeling (unless, like the teenage scribblers who write for motoring mags, you are naive enough to think that soft-touch plastic indicates good build quality), and all the interior design issues can be checked in the showroom. Does the driving position work for me? Is there room for oddments? Will the boot fit my golf clubs/baby buggy/double bass? Will the baby seats fit in the back, and kids actually see out the side windows?

The only really significant things that most people will really learn from a rest drive are about ride comfort and noise level.

I have bought three vehicles in the last few years. First was the Almera, which I test drove: that just confirmed what I knew already, viz. that it is a typically easy-to-drive Jap car, with a hard ride and more noise than other similar cars, but not enough to make me want a more expensive alternative.

Second was a Vectra for a friend. We just checked that the boot was big enough to fit a musician's clobber and that the driver could get comfortable. As to driving, well it's a repmobile, and it drives like a repmobile: no vices, no thrills. A test drive would have told us nothing we didn't already know from a little reading.

The third vehicle I bought was my campervan, which I didn't even get to touch before I bought it from Japan, based on lots of pictures and the auction reports. When it arrived, I found that it drives like a van (surprise! surprise!) -- okay on the straights, but not good for fast corners, and it's vulnerable to side winds. Hold the front page ;-)

With most of the newish vehicles I have test driven over the years, I have learnt all I really need to know in a short distance. Can I see out the back when reversing? How bad are the blind spots? Are the controls easy to use? Is it noisy, and is the ride acceptable?

A long test drive may make sense if it really matters whether the car has the finer points of high-speed cornering down to a tee, but for how many drivers does that really matter at all?
Most modern cars are a form of white goods a variety of similar products which
have converged to produce a lot of remarkably similar models.

That might be true for the cars you've test driven, but the 4 I had a go in (1.2 Corsa, 1.3 Yaris, 1.1 and 1.3 Colts) were all significantly different in terms of the way they drove.
A tale of two test drives - Armstrong Sid
It's a way of finding out if there are any points on the car which would niggle you and drive you mad, but which another person wouldn't notice or bother about. Personal taste.

I had a test drive in a used Mazda3 a few weeks ago; nice car, well built, goes well and they always get good reviews. But..... the dash and instruments were over styled, horrible flat black plastics which looked basic and like something rejected in 1965. Maybe it was well-built and screwed together, but it looked really cheap and low-rent. No way I could've lived with that in any car, so I didn't buy it.

And I wouldn't have found that out if I hadn't driven around with that in front of me for a few miles.
A tale of two test drives - Brian Tryzers
I'm no enthusiast, at least in the bobble-hat-wearing, Clarkson-venerating sense. But I do know what I want a car to do for me, and I can't tell most of that in a showroom.

I've mentioned previously my 250-mile test drive in the Volvo S60 I eventually chose. I returned from that trip (Coventry to Basingstoke and back) determined to have one despite its (gasp) being a saloon car, because of (a) its superbly supportive seats, (b) its relaxed power delivery and cruising ability, and (c) its superb audio system, which really can shorten a long trip.
At about the same time (2002) I did similar trips in two VW models that were, on paper, better suited to my needs and budget than the Volvo. The Golf I generally liked, but I couldn't quite get comfortable and would have found the lack of LW on the radio irksome in the cricket season; the Passat I didn't like at all, except for the automatic wipers, which worked far better than I'd expected them to.
Without those long test drives, I might well have ordered a Passat from the company car list and been nothing like as satisfied as I have been with the Volvo.
A tale of two test drives - cuthbert
If I am spending my hard earned money I want to make sure it is on something I am happy with !!

I had arranged to test drive a VW Tiguan for the day I drove about 2 miles and retuned it to the dealership I just knew there was no way I would be happy with it .
I am not saying the car was rubbish it just did not feel right .

I always take the attitude that if a dealership will not put themselves out when you are making a purchase what chance have you got when they have your money .

If you arrange to test drive a car it is unprofessional for the car not to be there for you as arranged