97 3.3 cooling fans won't come on????? - snuggles
Just comeback from holiday, and whilst away, driving in a 10mph area (for what seemed like ages) the over temp light came on, and I noticed that the fan's weren't running. So I pulled over and turned off the engine, turned the ignition back to start, and they came on (cooling the engine), so started up and drove on. The following day, driving through the same area, same thing happened, though this time when the ignition was turned back on, NO fans, so let the engine cool a bit and found a nice bit of 40mph road to cool the beast down.

Coolant levels OK! Pump working OK! (as was replaced before buying it), checked ALL fuses and relay's, OK! so got underneath, looking for the cooling fan switch and can't find it.

So at the moment, courtesy of maplins and plenty of burns, cuts and swearing, jimmy rigged a fused switch to the battery, and the fan's work fine!!!!???

Where is the cooling fan switch or relay? and how do I test them??? The "Service Engine Soon" light did come on twice, but after I rigged it, the light cleared.

Or is it another pink fluffy dice American thing that the temp. gauge tells the main E.C.U. that the engine is too hot, and the E.C.U. tells a relay to turn on the fans???!?!?!?!?!?!?!

{The no swearing policy applies to everyone - including you}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/09/2009 at 00:55

97 3.3 cooling fans won't come on????? - MerlinTec
Hi
The relay is a very common fault and it's down behind the air filter box bolted to the body. latest part number is 5017491AB but 4707286AI (yours will probably end in an AD) can be used. no separate switch for the fan it's ECU control and runs off the same sensor for the gauge.
I know how to check the relay (when and if I find it), but how do I check if its the ECU!! other than the obvious but possibly damaging way??
Hi
it's a solid state relay not a 4 pin relay. but same principle 2 big wires for power to the fan the other 2 switch the relay. I would just change the relay.
97 3.3 cooling fans won't come on????? - sarka1230
did the temp gauge go in to the red? if not clean the water temp sensor connector or replace sensor
to rule out the temp sensor you just have to turn on the air con as this will turn on the fan. but it is always the relay.
I found the relay, rang a garage, and promptly had to pick myself up off the floor when told the price of £66 (including VAT). Well I hope the thing is the only fault and not the temp sensor!! I'll need a bank loan to replace that I would think!?!?!?!?!

Yes the temp did go into the red!?!?!
97 3.3 cooling fans won't come on????? - brad1977
Gonna get mine on saturday, its a bit awkward getting to it, but should be fine. Can you let us know if it fixes your fan problem as mine has done the same....
Just spoke to kings in stockport--£56 + VAT. I'm going to pick it up friday. the 66 + vat was for the second part number--the newer number is cheaper.

Hope that helps

Bradleigh
all done, all fixed and works fine. Many thanks for all your help
97 3.3 cooling fans won't come on????? - King Orry

Can anyone confirm if this is applicable to other models.?

I have a '98 2.0 petrol Voyager, my fan initially stayed on after the engine had cooled such that the battery went flat.

Next time in order to stop the fan I had to pull the fuse, since then it's not cut-in.

Am in the process of removing the airbox etc to have a look but would welcome any advice.

Cheers, Mick.

97 3.3 cooling fans won't come on????? - King Orry

Update on 2.0 petrol fan relay - bought one off ebay, jeepchryslerparts. £45+ £3 p&p, (arrived next day) half an hour to fit, problem solved.

Mine had the 4707286AD fitted, now replaced with a 'GT Greentune' pattern part, other than having to swap the little rubber seal and plastic fitting from my old switch it was no hassle.

Cheers, King Orry.

Edited by King Orry on 20/07/2010 at 11:05